home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Default Food & Wine and MNSSHP Trip Report 2018

We got back from our trip on Monday night. It was so much fun. I'll go over the highlights. The cast of characters is DH, DS (7), DD (5), Me, and two other families with boys aged 6, 8, 11, and 11.

We arrived last Wednesday and tried to get into our room at BWV. I had read that BWV was horrible about having the rooms ready early, so we just left our info at the front desk that we would like the 1st available room and went to F&W. The other two families didn't arrive until Thursday. We were just killing time until the MM at HS. We did ride Frozen with only a 30 minute wait, so I will consider that a win. We never got a text that our room was ready, but when we went back at 4:30pm, it was ready to go.

Moonlight Magic: This was an ok event. They were out of ornaments since the first event according to the CM. We bought the Game of Life DVC version, two tshirts, and a pin that I will make into my own ornament. The waits for all the TSL rides were pretty crazy. We rode Alien Saucers and TSM before the event using a FP for Alien Saucers. We went and rode RnR and ToT before as well with FP's. Slinky Dog didn't drop below 65 minutes while we were there, so we just decided we would ride with our FP's that we booked in a few days with the rest of the group. The food vouchers were nice, as was the free ice cream and water. The waits on Star Tours, ToT, and RnR weren't bad, but the park is just really small right now. I would NEVER plan a trip around one of these events after having been to 2 of them. They're fun, but not enough fun to stand on their own.

Universal on Thursday while friends flew in: The park was extremely busy considering it was a school/work day. We only got to ride 3 or 4 rides, but we were only there 3 hours or so and that included grabbing lunch. We had checked out of BWV and were waiting on the text from BCV that our room was ready. We got the text while we were eating lunch, and we decided to leave and get in a nap. BTW, we took and Uber to/from Universal, and it was super easy and affordable. Also, our family LOVES Escape from Gringotts. That ride alone is always worth the trek to Universal for us. We have AP's there this year.

MNSSHP: This event was the highlight of the trip for me. We had so much fun!!! Admittedly, I am a big Halloween fan, so I was looking forward to this so much. The wait times were short (no longer than 20 minutes on most rides), and the fireworks were amazing as was the Hocus Pocus show. Also, when you got off a ride, they gave you candy! Can it get much better than that? We went into the park just after 4pm and used FP's on SDMT, BTMRR, and SM. We had been on almost everything by the time we all threw in the towel and left just after 11pm. I HIGHLY recommend this event. It was a blast!

Parks and Rides: We did all 4 of the main parks. I got FP's to everything we wanted including SDD and FOP. We actually had a 2nd set of FP's for FOP this trip. On Monday morning (day of departure) I gave up the 2nd set for FOP in favor of just going to SAB because we were beat. SDD was fun but definitely not worth waiting more than 30 min to ride. It was just a classic roller coaster. We were all able to get FP's for Star Tours, Frozen, Test Track, BTMRR, and TT as our 4th or more FP's for the day. You just have a refresh, refresh, refresh. Also, break the parties into smaller ones. Groups of 1-2 seemed to work best.

Resorts: The age old debate of BCV versus BWV...We stayed at both this trip. They both have their pluses and minuses. BCV is a lot smaller and quieter. However, BWV as a lot more fun with a ton more restaurants. I liked the vibe of BWV better for us, but BCV was a bit closer to Epcot. I wouldn't personally pay the new premium to own at BCV over BWV, but that's me. We loved both of the resorts for the easy walk to Epcot. We walked to HS from BWV to go to MM, and that was a very hot hike! With all the construction right now, it wasn't great. We took the bus back to BWV from MM because we were spent.

Walking: We walked anywhere from 20,000-26,000 steps per day. It was about 8-11+ miles per day (no exaggeration). Every adult said their feet and back hurt, and we all exercise regularly. Advil, Ibuprofen, or Motrin is always a friend on these trips! The kids hung in there like troopers. DD had a stroller, and DS would ride on the back of it some. The other 6-8 year old boys all ended up getting pushed around in strollers on the last night. The moms caved when they were so tired. We hit the parks hard because the other families don't go often, but the midday break and putting up our feet for a few hours in the middle of the day does wonders.

Food: We ate so much good food at F&W, and I have to say this event also exceeded expectations. The favorites were the Kalua Pork Slider at Hawaii (we ate this multiple times), the Ropa Vieja Empanada at the Caribbean booth, the pasta at Italy (my friend's favorite), and the Teriyaki Chicken Bun in Japan. On our AK EMH morning, I had set our alarm for the wrong day, and we had to make a mad dash and take an Uber to AK to meet our friends after we told them to go ahead when they called and woke us up. I was waiting in line for coffee at Isle of Java when the woman behind me was going on and on about the apple cider donut holes. Without coffee after a morning like that, I was dragging. I am not a donut fan, but these looked good. OMG! They were like little bites of heaven. They were so good that I went and told our group to go and get them. Everyone got some and then got some more. Apparently, these are a special fall thing only at that booth. SOOOOOO good. Dining reservations were at Trattoria al Forno (good but pricey Italian food), Teppan Edo (delicious despite the poor reviews on MO), Tusker House (token character meal), Sci Fi Diner (all the kids' favorite), and Beaches & Cream (delicious). We also ate at Columbia Harbor House (most of us got the lobster roll which was pretty good). We mostly ate at F&W every chance we got.

We were there until Monday afternoon when all the flights were delayed by the horrible thunderstorm. The funny thing is that it didn't rain except maybe for 30 minutes one afternoon while we were all napping the whole time we were there. Crowds were manageable, but definitely don't plan on going to Epcot during F&W on a Saturday night. Friday was honestly fine, but Saturday was a madhouse, and we were just walking through to let the kids ride the monorail to MK. Being there for Columbus Day weekend was no worse than a regular summer day. There was a lot more that happened on this trip, but I could go on and on for another 30 minutes with the report. Everyone had a blast and cannot wait to go back!

Last edited by TexasChick; 10-11-2018 at 12:16 PM.
TexasChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Wonderful summary, glad you enjoyed your trip!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Wonderful summary, glad you enjoyed your trip!
Thank you. I know it was a long winded TR, but there was a lot to report about. F&W and MNSSHP were so fun!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I知 reading highlights to my hubby and pouting because I知 once again missing MNSSHP. Sounds like you had a terrific trip! Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:24 PM   #5
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I知 reading highlights to my hubby and pouting because I知 once again missing MNSSHP. Sounds like you had a terrific trip! Thanks for sharing your adventures.
We have never been to MNSSHP, so I didn稚 have anything to compare it to not can I lament about the 田hanges. All of us had a blast despite being exhausted. It was an expensive addition since we have AP痴, but it got our friends in the parks for $89 for 8 hours. Not too bad considering the lighter crowds, shorter or nonexistent wait times, fireworks, shows, and candy! We literally walked on to Splash Mountain, BTMRR was a 10 minute wait, Pirates was maybe 15 minutes, and Haunted Mansion was 10 minutes. Also, they had a bunch of live characters in all the rides. I loved it!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Sounds like you had such a fun trip!

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.disney.couple View Post
Sounds like you had such a fun trip!
It was a blast! Coordinating with 2 other families went much smoother than anticipated.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Sounds like a great trip!

Need to try those donuts in a few weeks. We have not gone to MNSSHP in at least 5 years, it is my favorite hard ticket event in WDW.....I need to go back.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Sounds like a great trip!

Need to try those donuts in a few weeks. We have not gone to MNSSHP in at least 5 years, it is my favorite hard ticket event in WDW.....I need to go back.
The donuts were delicious. Again, I didn't even know they existed until the woman behind me was going on and on about them and how they weren't on the menu, but there was a small sign about them at the register.

MNSSHP was so much fun. I was looking at the website last night, and the event was actually sold out for that night, October 4th. Even with that being the case, the crowds were much lower than any normal night. The trick or treat lines were very long which is just baffling to me. I can get candy anytime. I cannot ride these rides anytime I want. We all shook our heads as we bypassed the long trick or treating lines to get onto the rides.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

Thanks for the great TR!!! So glad all had great times!
We did MNSSHP for the first time last year, and we loved it. I can't wait to do it again if we are ever there at the right time.
We're hoping to do Universal for Thanksgiving, been a couple years, and i agree. Gringotts/HP is always awesome.
FW sounds like a yummy time. Glad y'all overheard those ladies. Always nice to find something new and surprising to enjoy.

BWV is our home, and man that walk for me can be brutal in the heat of the day, to and from HS (and EPCOT for that matter) but we love it there and always prefer walking when possible over waiting for a boat...unless the boat at Epcot is right there, and you know you have time to catch it. One of these days we'll stay at BCV, but hard to pass up cheaper view/points at BWV

Thanks again for sharing the fun!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote