home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Default "Training" for trip

We will be coming home in Dec. I am getting older and less fit while DS20 is at his prime and DS10 no longer straggles.

I have always managed to keep a pretty good pace, but frankly I am a bit worried about our 8 day "marathon".

How many miles, FITBIT steps, etc, do folks figure they log daily on a Disney parks vacation?

How do the more sedentary, over 50yo parents prepare?
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsmom View Post
We will be coming home in Dec. I am getting older and less fit while DS20 is at his prime and DS10 no longer straggles.

I have always managed to keep a pretty good pace, but frankly I am a bit worried about our 8 day "marathon".

How many miles, FITBIT steps, etc, do folks figure they log daily on a Disney parks vacation?

Get a scooter for a day or two if you need it.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Maddismom
One Bedroom

Funny I was just thinking the same since our next trip is in November and I'm out of shape and time is ticking...
I recall seeing the miles logged on my phone (don't wear a fitbit) and hearing my family say how much we walked while in the parks but can't remember the exact number (it's that over 50 mind I guess) but it was several.

Somehow, it doesn't feel like exercise or feel as exhausting as it would if it was at our full-time home. I think the more leisurely pace and the stops for rides and shows and dining help as well. I do take advantage of sitting down on anything that is comfortable (bench, wall, railing) while DD is on a ride that I don't enjoy. Doing this and having comfortable shoes and clothing along with a no-stress environment seems to make it easy, peasy for me! Enjoy!
Maddismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsmom View Post

We probably average 8+ miles of walking per day. If we take it slow it may drop down into the 6 miles or it can edge up higher. But I'd say 8-9 average. Walking and a little strength training go a long way towards prepping for Disney these days!
Old 09-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Be sure DS10 and DS20 have full charges on their phones, tell DS20 your paying for the trip so he has to hang with DS10, send them off and tell them to meet you a La Cava at 3:00. You can always track their phones to be sure they're together.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Joeli
One Bedroom

We normally do about 10-13 miles a day when we are there. Some depends on the kids and how far to get them back to the resort for "relaxing time". This time we will be split staying between BWV/AKV (Kidani). Perhaps on the next trip report I will list the steps based on my watch steps. We will be doing the parks the week of 9/23.

Upcoming:
Jun 2019 - BWV/BLT?
Mar 2019 - PVB
Feb 2019 - BRV
Jan 2019 - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea
Nov 2018 - Swan

Done:
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani)
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
DeniseKayC
Two Bedroom

I usually average around 15,000 steps per day at Disney. This is compared to usually around 7,000 steps per day at home. Our normal Disney mode is morning and lunch at a park, back to resort for an afternoon break, than back to a park for the evening.

I don't really train before going, but I have found that making sure I walk 30 minutes a day regularly really helps compared to when I wasn't making that part of my normal routine. I have a friend at work where we now schedule a 30 minute walk every day during work. We don't always make it out, but usually 4 out of 5 days we do.
DeniseKayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
We probably average 8+ miles of walking per day. If we take it slow it may drop down into the 6 miles or it can edge up higher. But I'd say 8-9 average. Walking and a little strength training go a long way towards prepping for Disney these days!
I "like" this figure, it seems more doable than....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
We normally do about 10-13 miles a day when we are there. Some depends on the kids and how far to get them back to the resort for "relaxing time". This time we will be split staying between BWV/AKV (Kidani). Perhaps on the next trip report I will list the steps based on my watch steps. We will be doing the parks the week of 9/23.
...this figure which exhausts me just thinking about it!
Please do report back your "mileage" if you don't mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseKayC View Post
I usually average around 15,000 steps per day at Disney. This is compared to usually around 7,000 steps per day at home. Our normal Disney mode is morning and lunch at a park, back to resort for an afternoon break, than back to a park for the evening.

I don't really train before going, but I have found that making sure I walk 30 minutes a day regularly really helps compared to when I wasn't making that part of my normal routine. I have a friend at work where we now schedule a 30 minute walk every day during work. We don't always make it out, but usually 4 out of 5 days we do.
I usually walk about 5000-7000 steps daily. My goal is to get to 12,000 steps per day before we go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
Be sure DS10 and DS20 have full charges on their phones, tell DS20 your paying for the trip so he has to hang with DS10, send them off and tell them to meet you a La Cava at 3:00. You can always track their phones to be sure they're together.
DS20 is away from home at college, so when we are together, he likes to ALL stick together. I try to get him to go with his brother and let us old folks catch up!! Usually by day 5, my pace has slowed enough that he will split away! I appreciate his sentiment
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
amydevoe
One Bedroom

We usually average about 8-10/day. It doesn't feel like we walk that much but when you think about all of walking in the park and then add the to/from bus and walking in the hotel, it certainly adds up!
amydevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
krisephillips
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseKayC View Post
I usually average around 15,000 steps per day at Disney.
Just checked my steps from last trip and was also in this range. Did have a marathon day though at Epcot with EMH that was 27,000 steps one day but this is definitely not the norm.

We tend to break up our day. Parks in AM, lunch at resort with pool time/rest, then return to park in the evening.

Disney Castaway Club Member-Silver Level.
krisephillips is offline   Reply With Quote