home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
uwdude
One Bedroom

Default New Disneyland hotel in jeopardy

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201808/6233/

Really Disney, you would kill the whole project over a tax break? That hotel would rake in millions every year for half a century at least.
uwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwdude View Post
https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201808/6233/

Really Disney, you would kill the whole project over a tax break? That hotel would rake in millions every year for half a century at least.
Disney plays hardball with Anaheim, and the previous council that approved the tax breaks was harshly criticized for doing so. I expect both sides to dig in their heels. I also don't think Disney will yield because that will suggest to Anaheim that they've got power over Disney, which Disney tends to be loathe to grant.

Part of the criticism, I believe, was Disney's low minimum wage, which they've now increased to $15, so they may have some leverage to say that they're being good corporate citizens and this deal benefits everybody now.

I find it odd that it got caught up in a change of address (location) but that's the law for you.

Dirk
Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Ooops!

A minor detail like that cost Jim Lewis his job at DVC.

Last edited by tomandrobin; 08-16-2018 at 09:45 AM.
tomandrobin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
FessParker1
One Bedroom

I'd make a long hallway to the correct address and put the front door there. Satisfy the letter of the law.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Disney plays hardball with Anaheim, and the previous council that approved the tax breaks was harshly criticized for doing so. I expect both sides to dig in their heels. I also don't think Disney will yield because that will suggest to Anaheim that they've got power over Disney, which Disney tends to be loathe to grant.

Funny how politics work, especially in current times. Anaheim owes so so much to Disney and what it has done for the city over the years.....and yet, now it wants to bite the hand that feeds it. (I know, its not that simple).

Eventually, they will compromise and meet in the middle. And by middle I mean more in Disney's favor, but enough to give the new council an opportunity to claim a victory.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
I'd make a long hallway to the correct address and put the front door there. Satisfy the letter of the law.

Even though the "technical" address is wrong, the intent might all Disney needs to approve in court. All contracts have clauses to "fix" typographical errors in situations like this......and knowing Disney, I am sure it is covered.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Interesting. Well the current council was elected on a no more corporate giveaways platform and one of the reasons the council turned over.

But... politicians have short memories. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. Personally it won't break my heart to not have the new resort built.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Interesting. Well the current council was elected on a no more corporate giveaways platform and one of the reasons the council turned over.

But... politicians have short memories. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. Personally it won't break my heart to not have the new resort built.

Politicians......Lawyers......timeshare salesman.......How do you know when they are lying?

Every time they open their mouth!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
MMC1
Grand Villa

Is this the location that new California DVC would be located? Never thought about the tax breaks and DVC maintenance, etc.
Money doesn't need to be involved just offer them points to grease the palms.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
Lolaura84
Studio

My opinion from what I've read is that Anaheim is justifiable in denying the credits. It wasn't a typographical error, it was that Disney changed the planned location. In any entitlements or credits, a true change of location would always require a municipal action and not just be automatically assumed to transfer. The logical thing for a developer to do would be to politely make the case for the transfer, but I imagine either that request was rebuffed or it was assumed to be rebuffed because of politics.
Lolaura84 is online now   Reply With Quote