home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
reno_to_disney!
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Park Hopper at WDW - is it worth it?

My fiance and I just closed on our first contract for VGC, but knowing there's slim to no chance we're sneaking in there until 11 months out, we were thinking about heading to WDW for a honeymoon in January. We haven't been in probably 20 years, and since we aren't AP holders, is the park hopper option worth it? We always PH at DL, but if we are going to spend a week at WDW, seems that we could save some $$ just going to one park a day, especially with the travel time between parks. Any "perks" of the PH at WDW that I don't know about?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

I think it depends on how you plan to visit the parks. We normally make ADRs for dinner every night. Most of them are in Epcot and sometimes at another resort. Therefore if we go to MK, AK, or HS during the day we need the PH to be able to go to Epcot for dinner. So it's always APs for DW and I and PHs for our adult kids
PHs are also handy for going to one park in the morning for certain rides and then to another park later in the day for evening activities. I know that you can save some $$ by doing one park per day but we don't want to be restricted.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
melk
Grand Villa

I also like the park hoppers as it doesn't restrict you. If you're at a park and it just seems too busy then you can hop over to another one, especially if you've looked at the app and noticed the waits are shorter.

I also like to be able to throw in a few extra evenings at Epcot, for the food factor alone.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Lolaura84
Studio

We like to be able to do an unplanned hop to another park if we can get a same day fastpass. In the hot months (like March - Nov, LOL!), we also try to avoid being in the parks during the middle of the day and do fastpasses in the morning, pool / hotel time in the afternoon, and back to parks in the afternoon. When we're going back and forth anyway, there's no time lost in hopping to another park, KWIM? We did less of that in January, admittedly.

For a recent trip where my family had APs but we were traveling with a friend who needed to buy tickets, we deferred the decision and bought base 1 park a day tickets and upgraded to add park hopper when we wanted to go to a second park.
Lolaura84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
Scubasteve4533

I think for the small incremental price it's well worth it.
Head to MK in the morning, then check out Pandora at night. Go to HS in the afternoon, stroll over to Epcot for dessert in France and illuminations.
Having never went without a park hopper I can't imagine not having it.
Scubasteve4533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
DeniseKayC
Two Bedroom

I agree it really depends on your style of doing Disney. For us, we go to one park in the morning, come back and relax for awhile at our resort in the afternoon, and then often go to a different park at night.

When we plan, we usually plan where we're going each morning ahead of time, make fastpasses, dining reservations, etc. (we usually do our table services for lunch instead of dinner). Most of the time we don't know where we're going in the evening until day of and we choose based on what we feel like.
DeniseKayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

I'm with the others - our park days are multi-park days far more often than not. Especially with adults only, I'd never want to have dining and attractions limited to one park if it was just the two of us.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Yes get the PH option especially if you 're not planning on returning for a few years. Since you purchase in CA I assume that is where you plan top go most often. You can always buy the bare ticket and upgrade at the gate.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
reno_to_disney!

This is all fantastic info, so thank you to everyone! My follow up would then be - it seems that I am overestimating the amount of time/hassle that it takes to get between parks. Being a frequent visitor to DL, I'm really used to that 200 yard walk!
Old 08-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
Scubasteve4533

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno_to_disney! View Post
This is all fantastic info, so thank you to everyone! My follow up would then be - it seems that I am overestimating the amount of time/hassle that it takes to get between parks. Being a frequent visitor to DL, I'm really used to that 200 yard walk!
Depends where you stay, Poly or BWV/BC area lends itself to bouncing around more than others but it's not that big of a time suck.
Scubasteve4533 is offline   Reply With Quote