home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
AdventureEllieF
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Adding a second UY?

Hi, everyone-- long time lurker, finally started a MO presence.

We are direct owners since 2016 (yay), with 2 small contracts-- one at BWV and one at AKV, both with a September UY. The idea was to 1) have BW as our real home resort; 2) start small and add on as our granddaughter gets a little older (why pay MF on points we didn't need until she was a little older); and 3) September fit well with OUR travel habits-- usually going for F/W and/or the January marathon weekend.

That's the background-- but it has dawned on me that a Sept UY isn't going to be the best when our GD reaches school age (several years to go-- just thinking ahead). It certainly CAN work, but working around school schedules when she's older is going to push us to the summer months (or Spring Break-- ugh).
As we know, planning with/for other people adds complexity to planning and they have to understand the concept that if I cancel a DVC reservation too late, then I am forced to use the points or lose them if I am past the banking window.

So-- does it make sense in this case to add on (resale of course) into a different use year (Dec through June) with those points "earmarked" for the summer family vacations, and then my DH and I will keep the Sept UY contracts for our short trips?
AdventureEllieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureEllieF View Post

We are direct owners since 2016 (yay), with 2 small contracts-- one at BWV and one at AKV, both with a September UY. The idea was to 1) have BW as our real home resort; 2) start small and add on as our granddaughter gets a little older (why pay MF on points we didn't need until she was a little older); and 3) September fit well with OUR travel habits-- usually going for F/W and/or the January marathon weekend.

That's the background-- but it has dawned on me that a Sept UY isn't going to be the best when our GD reaches school age (several years to go-- just thinking ahead). It certainly CAN work, but working around school schedules when she's older is going to push us to the summer months (or Spring Break-- ugh).
As we know, planning with/for other people adds complexity to planning and they have to understand the concept that if I cancel a DVC reservation too late, then I am forced to use the points or lose them if I am past the banking window.

So-- does it make sense in this case to add on (resale of course) into a different use year (Dec through June) with those points "earmarked" for the summer family vacations, and then my DH and I will keep the Sept UY contracts for our short trips?
Completely depends on the number of points you have and the number you plan on adding and the length of planned stays.

Small is so relative. Adding on 25 pts in a different use year I would not do, but adding on 150 pts I would have no problem.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
robinb
Two Bedroom

Quote:

A September UY is not ideal for families with kids in school. It might be difficult if you will want to travel in the summer since the banking deadline is April and if you have to cancel in May-August you may get stuck with points. A September UY is fine for Christmas and Spring Break.

That being said, I used to have 2 UYs (OKW Sept UY and BWV Aug UY) and it was a PITB for me. You can only book in whole days only when you use 2 contracts, even in the 7 month window. Right now I can combine my two contracts (BWV, AKV Aug UY) to book a reservation in any way I want. I know it doesn't bother a lot of people, but I wouldn't want 2 UYs again.

If you think that you can lock in by the end of April, then I think a Sept UY is OK. We booked in June & July with our Aug UY and the one time I had to cancel with non-bankable points I simply rented out the reservation.

robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
AdventureEllieF

If we added on in a second UY, it would be at least 100-200 points, as that would be for family use-- taking kids/granddaughter, or taking other family members who can't get away during the school year.

I agree that a small add-on in a separate UY is not useful for our needs.

What I'm trying to work with is the fact that with our current September UY if we plan a family trip in June-August (because of school schedules) we have to be very sure of our plans and not have any issues come up, since we'd be past the banking date if we had to alter plans.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
Doug Disney
One Bedroom

Quote:

I think it totally makes sense, as long as you are organized. I have 3 different UY's and it hasn't been a problem.
Doug Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
AdventureEllieF

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
A September UY is not ideal for families with kids in school. It might be difficult if you will want to travel in the summer since the banking deadline is April and if you have to cancel in May-August you may get stuck with points. ....

If you think that you can lock in by the end of April, then I think a Sept UY is OK. We booked in June & July with our Aug UY and the one time I had to cancel with non-bankable points I simply rented out the reservation.
Thanks for your experience!
I agree that dealing with 2 UY will be more complex; thus, why I was asking!

Even this past year, when I was hoping to take my nieces, one of their college schedules messed up planning, because she needed to take a summer session and we couldn't plan ahead. I didn't want to make a July/August reservation that had a chance of getting cancelled.

We have a non-Disney weekend away with DH's kids and our DGD coming up-- I see this as a practice trip for WDW to see how the little one handles travel and how flexible the families are in planning! They've never been to WDW, and DH and I have been a lot, so we will have to "train" them in all things WDW.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
AdventureEllieF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Disney View Post
I think it totally makes sense, as long as you are organized. I have 3 different UY's and it hasn't been a problem.
Thank you!
It's not going to happen super soon-- just planning for in the next couple of years...
Though, with the resale prices climbing...
Old 08-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I have four use years, one is September - which was the first I purchased, before I fully understood how DVC use and points worked. September is awful for us, and I have given away many points over the years due to changes in plans. I know use my September use year for the middle of my vacation so those points are not going to be effected on a change - hopefully. I wish I had a June use year, as I think that would be the best for us. We go in the summer, then try to get down there right after Christmas. I have a February use year, April, august and sept.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

I have an August UY and when it was assigned to me when I bought direct I didn't know what I didn't know, and at this point in my life I do find myself traveling heavily in the last 4 months of my UY (after my banking window closes). I too am married to school schedules so I always travel at the most point intensive times of the year. I understand your concern, thoughts that your having to consider a second UY if/when you add on.

My advice to you is to not add points on in a second UY due to the complications of potentially wanting to combine your points for a stay. There are lots of threads on this, so I won't expand on this further in this reply. It is workable to have multiple UYs, but it is far easier to stick with one UY.

Your Sept UY is very workable. I have never lost a point in the 12 years I have been a DVC member. Plan carefully and commit to your plan, and you will be fine. If an emergency arises and you have to cancel that is an unplanned emergency, that is unpredictable and that could happen to you no matter what UY you own.

Good luck with your decision!

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 08-08-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: correction
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
luaulei321
Add-on Aficionado

I have 2 Use Years, and honestly, I wish I had only one. The only reason we have a second Use Year is because we saw a subsidized Aulani contract for sale last year, and we liked the price.