home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
Grahamiibo
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Advise for Navigating Date Changes When Renting Points

Hi There!

First, thank you for organizing these forums. Iím planning a family reunion trip in late 2019 for a mid-sized group and was thinking of using the DVC rentals (either the forums or a broker) to secure a 2 or 3br and (ideally) save a bit of money. Yes, Iím one of those people that likes to get a really really big jump start on planning

Iíve read through the details regarding how the rental program works and have a fairly good understanding in terms of the risks/benefits. However, as the person responsible for the trip planning Iím still a bit concerned that there is a small but non-zero chance that someone in our groups planís may change, etc... especially if Iíd want to secure my booking as far out as possible (ie. 11 months) to ensure we get what we want.

I understand that its very clearly documented that cancellations/changes/refunds are not generally provided and I donít really expect that to be an issue in our case. None-the-less I do want to fully understand the practicalities of the risks/scenarios that could occur in the event that I find myself in such a situation.

I was therefore wondering if anyone could post their feedback (either as a renter or owner) on what your experiences have been with date changes? Or just in general any advice on navigating this topic as part of the rental process.

Thank you very much in advance.

~Graham
Grahamiibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
J2K66

I would think that when you're looking for something that specific, there will be no chance for a date change. Availability will be an issue.

We've rented points in the past, and understand that there is basically NO flexibility, and that's the risk we're willing to take to get a better room at a lower price.
J2K66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Commish
Studio

I understand your concerns, depends on who you are renting from but also where you want to stay and how flexible you are. I have had 7 night rentals which I helped friend change to 4+4 split stay. If Studio rooms - probably will be in a bind to add, 2BR are easier and if you need extra rooms renter should be able to arrange at SSR 6+ months out.

Other questions would be if the Member was willing to allow you to use one of their "waitlist slots" -

If I were to book at 11 months I would still want to check again at 7 months to see if better options for changing plans. In February I was able to find 7 nights July 4th 2BR at BWV - so sometimes there are pleasant surprises when booking

Issue with changes & points is a move from studio to 1BR does not necessarily add occupancy, two studios logistically very challenging and 2BR over 2X cost of Studio

Good Luck
Old 08-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

As Commish said a lot will depend on the owner that you rent from. If you rent from a broker you won't have any opportunity to move or change what you book. If you work directly with an owner since they own the points they might be willing to work with you to make changes and/or even set up a wait list for any missing night you might have.

For me, personally, I will work with my renters and if possible I do allow changes. Sometimes I will charge a fee to make the change, because it is more work to make changes. I do charge equal to or even more than a broker in some cases for my points.

Good luck. I hope that answered some of your questions.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamiibo View Post
Hi There!

First, thank you for organizing these forums. I’m planning a family reunion trip in late 2019 for a mid-sized group and was thinking of using the DVC rentals (either the forums or a broker) to secure a 2 or 3br and (ideally) save a bit of money. Yes, I’m one of those people that likes to get a really really big jump start on planning

I’ve read through the details regarding how the rental program works and have a fairly good understanding in terms of the risks/benefits. However, as the person responsible for the trip planning I’m still a bit concerned that there is a small but non-zero chance that someone in our groups plan’s may change, etc... especially if I’d want to secure my booking as far out as possible (ie. 11 months) to ensure we get what we want.

I understand that its very clearly documented that cancellations/changes/refunds are not generally provided and I don’t really expect that to be an issue in our case. None-the-less I do want to fully understand the practicalities of the risks/scenarios that could occur in the event that I find myself in such a situation.

I was therefore wondering if anyone could post their feedback (either as a renter or owner) on what your experiences have been with date changes? Or just in general any advice on navigating this topic as part of the rental process.

~Graham

I am confused.

You say you "understand that its very clearly documented that cancellations/changes/refunds are not generally provided " but then go onto
basically say that you expect to be able to make changes?

I am not sure renting is the way you should go. The agencies will NOT work with you, you are stuck with what you rented. While an owner MIGHT work with you they might not and the fact that you potentially want a 3 bedroom actually makes it less likely that you can make changes IMHO since (A) there are not as many 3 bedroom units to move to if you want to change dates and (B) if you want to downsize that leaves the owner holding the bag for the points you decided you didn't want. Also while "late 2019" covers a long period it also covers some incredibly busy times for DVC. December for example is generally very booked meaning you might not be able to change dates as is anytime during the Food & Wine festival.

Renting is good if you know what you want but if you want flexibility then IMHO you need to just pay the retail price.
CarolA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamiibo View Post
Hi There!

First, thank you for organizing these forums. Iím planning a family reunion trip in late 2019 for a mid-sized group and was thinking of using the DVC rentals (either the forums or a broker) to secure a 2 or 3br and (ideally) save a bit of money. Yes, Iím one of those people that likes to get a really really big jump start on planning

Iíve read through the details regarding how the rental program works and have a fairly good understanding in terms of the risks/benefits. However, as the person responsible for the trip planning Iím still a bit concerned that there is a small but non-zero chance that someone in our groups planís may change, etc... especially if Iíd want to secure my booking as far out as possible (ie. 11 months) to ensure we get what we want.

I understand that its very clearly documented that cancellations/changes/refunds are not generally provided and I donít really expect that to be an issue in our case. None-the-less I do want to fully understand the practicalities of the risks/scenarios that could occur in the event that I find myself in such a situation.

~Graham

I would not rent if I was not 100% sure of my dates . It is usually impossible to change dates especially any time after Sept.

I have rented many times since 1998. Only once did I have to cancel . It was due to a medical emergency. My adult son donated a kidney to his father . The date was not definite. Fortunately the vacation was more than 120 days out. Still I was fortunate to be able to cancel. I did not expect to get my money back. The owner was very kind. This is unusual . Generally the vacation would have been canceled and I would have lost the money and the trip . It would have been my fault .

It probably helped I post often and was not just an annomous renter with a sad story . The owner is also a regular here. This is just another reason to use regulars on MO.

I think renting dvc requires following the rules . One rule is you can not cancel. I usually rent 11 months out. Stuff happens but I know I can not change the dates .
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
StephandKarl

Rented through a broker once with the understanding that my reservation could not be changed, nor a refund offered if I cancelled. Rented through a member on a message board and she was willing to adjust dates if they were available.

I'm booking a trip with our own points at our home resort for three families next summer and I'm making sure the dates are set because DVC availability can be uncertain if you even wait a week to change things... of course depending on time of year and resort desired. It may not be up to the DVC owner on adjusting your reservation, but instead actual availability.
StephandKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Even if the owner would be willing to attempt a date change for you, it may not be possible. Availability gets very limited as you get closer to the arrival date. That's not something an owner can work around.

Since you said you are planning for late 2019, your "date change" options will be very, very limited, depending on the resort you choose. For that time period (mid-September through Marathon weekend in January), some resorts / booking categories will have only scattered nights available just a few hours after the 11 month window opens. Many owners report being unable to change from their home resort to another resort when the 7 month window opens. That situation is expected to be even worse in 2019 due to the opening of Star Wars Land in late 2019.

Since most rental transactions are non-refundable, you will need to decide up front whether or not to take the risk that someone in your party backs out. If you do go with the rental (unless you are paying for it yourself), be sure to explain very clearly to the others that the dates are not changeable and the reservation non-refundable. I would also recommend that you get at least some of the money upfront - or risk getting stuck for the whole thing on your own. Unfortunately, there are many reports of family backing out at the last minute, leaving the organizer "holding the bag".
Carol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I agree, if you are not 100% sure of your dates, do not rent. I wouldn't count on people willing to change dates even if rented privately. Not to mention your dates might not be available anyway.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
robinb
Two Bedroom

I think that if you think you may want to change/adjust your DVC rental you should make sure that you find an owner who will work with you in case something happens. I will sometimes allow changes or cancellations for a fee as long as I still come out whole.

You may want to look into booking something more flexible than a 3BR Grand Villa. I would look into a 2BR (sleeps 8-10) plus a studio or 1BR. If you have to cancel or change dates you will have an easier time dropping the smaller unit or trying to get something other than a GV.

robinb is offline   Reply With Quote