home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
pdude81
Grand Villa

Default No more straws or small toiletries

It appears that they have gone public now with the idea that the shampoos will all be refillable moving forward. I noticed it in this press release about getting rid of straws.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Travel/wa...ry?id=56812530

I get a little germ-phobic about sinks, tubs, etc (anything that is consistently wet), so it seems I'll be looking into an owners locker or ordering my own shampoo from Prime Now in the future.

I created a new thread for this because the removal of plastic straws is something I hadn't heard before and probably a big net positive. I just don't know if they would try to move to paper straws or if in reality they'll end up selling us multi use plastic cups that we'll throw away anyway.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
It appears that they have gone public now with the idea that the shampoos will all be refillable moving forward. I noticed it in this press release about getting rid of straws.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Travel/wa...ry?id=56812530

I get a little germ-phobic about sinks, tubs, etc (anything that is consistently wet), so it seems I'll be looking into an owners locker or ordering my own shampoo from Prime Now in the future.

I created a new thread for this because the removal of plastic straws is something I hadn't heard before and probably a big net positive. I just don't know if they would try to move to paper straws or if in reality they'll end up selling us multi use plastic cups that we'll throw away anyway.
I hate those paper straws with the passion of a thousand suns. The texture goes south very quickly.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
I hate those paper straws with the passion of a thousand suns. The texture goes south very quickly.
If they are getting rid of plastic straws, then there are a roughly equal number of plastic cup tops. Plus the cups are coated with plastics... so I don't really get how this is going to play out.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I used one last month and thought it was better than before.

With all the plastic waste I am not upset by this at all. I'd love plastic utensils to go away too, but no sure how they'd handle that. Our zoo is big on doing things like this and are even using compostable cups.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
bobbafett
Grand Villa

One restaurant I go to often stopped with straws unless asked for?

I'm fine with paper straws.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

Quote:

I like straws because I don't like putting my mouth on cups/glasses and some drinks stain your teeth.

ME ,DH , DS23 , DD21 , DD12
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Looks like we will either be buying the Mickey head straws from Cosmic Rays, or we will have to sneak our own into the parks. Iím also not a fan of the paper straw-like objects.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Yup.....Paper Straws are the "new" environmental evil that must be banished. Personally.....You want to make a difference, ban plastic bottles. Now that would make a difference. Banning straws is a fart in the wind and only makes people "feel" good that they are doing something. The reality is straws are a extremely small portion of the problem.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #9
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Yup.....Paper Straws are the "new" environmental evil that must be banished. Personally.....You want to make a difference, ban plastic bottles. Now that would make a difference. Banning straws is a fart in the wind and only makes people "feel" good that they are doing something. The reality is straws are a extremely small portion of the problem.
I could kind of go along with them at AK. Potential for the plastic straws to affect animal health and all. This is just silly.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Looks like we will either be buying the Mickey head straws from Cosmic Rays, or we will have to sneak our own into the parks. Iím also not a fan of the paper straw-like objects.

Look for your reusable "Disney" straw kiosks coming to the parks. For $25 you can get the limited edition F&W Reusable straw!