home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
StuBeck
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Anyone ever dealt with a points owner cancellation?

I have a reservation with DVC 12/19 - 12/22, and parts of the wording are pretty draconian regarding if the points owner cancels the reservation on meand their responsibilities. I understand what I agreed to, but there is still a ting of concern of "what if we get same day cancelled" and the scrambling we'd have to do if DVC doesn't have availability and just gives us our money back.

Has anyone had this happen with them? And if so, were you able to get another resort reservation through the original broker or did you have to get it yourself?

My main concern really is if Disney is somehow booked fully and we have to scramble to find someone off site. If we have more advanced notice and the broker helps us get another room that'd be totally fine. I also understand this is likely a rare situation.

Last edited by StuBeck; 07-18-2018 at 01:47 PM.
StuBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

So, you're asking about cancelling a rented reservation done thru a broker? I'm afraid they are pretty serious about the language. If it says no refunds and no changes that's what it means. Trip insurance is suggested if there's a concern about cancelling. They are not the owners of the room and the second it gets beyond a normal rental I doubt their are making much if anything in their cut and the owners generally rent thru them to have it be a one and done and not have to think about it again.

Some owners might be willing to try and get another reservation at another time but inventory can be limited so that's never a given and it's not a given with all owners. You'd have the best chance though if you found such an owner to rent directly from.

But, if there's a concern I'd really recommend skipping renting DVC and just book a cash room thru Disney.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
StuBeck

No, I'm asking if the person I'm renting points from cancels on me.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post
No, I'm asking if the person I'm renting points from cancels on me.
I only recall hearing of that once although it affected a couple of people who had the rooms booked by the same owner. And the broker only refunded - there was no attempt to help find a room. From reports from one of the people affected a different broker actually stepped in to help locate a room for one group and had success but if it's last minute then it's all based on availability and a broker can't book a room that isn't available. And it's going to be rare for them to have points available to book with. You should 100% assume you'd get the money back and would be on your own to find accommodations somewhere.

But, it's so rare it's only worth have an idea of what would occur vs it being an actual concern IMO.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
StuBeck

Thanks, thats what I figured. I found one thread where someone was going a bit overboard on what they expected from the broker. I'd probably expect a bit of help if I'm already there, and would reach out here or somewhere else if it were to happen, but its good to hear this isn't a real concern I should have!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

I thought a cancellation on check in day resulted in losing the points anyway, so nothing to gain by cancelling on check in day? If an owner decided to be a jerk and cancel, it would most likely be more than 30 days out because anything less than 30 days puts the points in holding which makes them a pain to use.

Anyway, the only time I remember hearing of this happening was unpaid fees which caused Disney to cancel the rooms. The broker did try to find another room but it was at a different resort and it was a 1 BR which would cost more. I think the broker offered a break on the up charge for the larger room, but there was an extra charge.

@OP Cancellation is very rare but the only thing you are guaranteed is what is a n your contract. In the very rare event of a cancellation the broker would probably try to find s room for you but DVC has inventory is tight so I would not count on them being able to find anything.

I understand your concerns. I felt the same way the first time I rented. I got on a super early flight to get there before everyone else just to make sure we really had a room or at least to have time to figure out a Plan B. Trusting someone you have never met with such a big part of your vacay is not easy (a big part of the reason we decided to buy our own points). Problems with owners in a rental situation really are extremely rare though. The odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that it will go perfectly.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
missa986
One Bedroom

FWIW, this trip will be my 4th renting points and my first renting through a broker. My first three trips were renting from wonderful MO's on this board. I've never had an issue, but I've also been careful to do my due diligence.

Oct/Nov 2018: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Oct/Nov 2016: Boardwalk Villas
Sept 2014: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani
Oct/Nov 2012: Pop Century
May 2009: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Dec 2000: Polynesian Resort
Dec 1993: Caribbean Beach Resort
missa986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post
Thanks, thats what I figured. I found one thread where someone was going a bit overboard on what they expected from the broker. I'd probably expect a bit of help if I'm already there, and would reach out here or somewhere else if it were to happen, but its good to hear this isn't a real concern I should have!
Some times people expects Moon and Stars, you can not help these people anyway.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Some times people expects Moon and Stars, you can not help these people anyway.
After all the broker only advertises "100% guest satisfaction"!

I think the truth is that you should expect to get your money back and nothing else. Some people were not impressed with that service.
CarolA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
StuBeck

Thanks for all the additional info! Its good to know that they don't get anything unless they cancel more than 30 days out. My biggest concern was getting an e-mail on the 19th saying "here's your money back!"

If we have 30 days or more to plan alternate housing, that shouldn't be a huge problem. I'd assume there would likely be some sort of discount on this from the broker, but wouldn't slight them much if it wasn't ridiculous.

Good to know as well that this is super rare. It makes sense as it hurts all parties involved and likely costs more than its worth.