home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
luebkeb13
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Renting points

So after reading a few threads here, would it be a better idea to rent my points out through a broker? I just really really donít want to get hung up on something.
luebkeb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
luebkeb13

Heck, I donít even know a good price point. Iíve seen a bunch of $15pp, is that a fair price?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

If you arenít comfortable with the process, a broker would be a safe place to start. You can definitively rent the points out on your own, but itís usually more work.

If you do decide to rent the points out yourself, two pieces of advice...
1. Use a contract! This protects you and the renter.
2. READ THE STICKIES ABOUT PLACING ADS BEFORE YOU POST!!! Then read them again!

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
runner1219

As a new owner that was looking to rent out some points this year I decided to use a broker. I know that meant that I was getting a little less a point than if I rented it out myself, but I also didn't have to deal with the hassle of doing it myself. I got really lucky and was able to rent out the points the same day I signed up.
runner1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by luebkeb13 View Post
So after reading a few threads here, would it be a better idea to rent my points out through a broker? I just really really donít want to get hung up on something.
Renting points through a broker is definitely the easy way to do it, obviously the board sponsor is the best choice because he supports our use of MouseOwners and we all appreciate that Since you haven't done this before, I'd start with having a conversation with a broker and see how much they would pay you for your points and what their process is. Brokers do pay a "premium" for some resorts over others - AKV, BLT, BCV, BWV, Wilderness Lodge, Copper Creek, VGF, VGC, Aulani, and PVB - if you are booking for them in the owner window.

From a DIY standpoint you will make more money if you rent the points yourself, and you can set the terms for when you get paid. Renting points may seem scary, but it's really not all that scary or mysterious. There are a lot of tips on this site along with a sample rental agreement you can use. As the PP said it can be work, but IMO it is worth the higher dollar amount in my pocket.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss further. I'm a long time member of MO and rent out my points regularly. Happy to give you advice and share my experiences with you.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

I used our board sponsor Davidís to rent out some extra points. It was incredibly easy. You can make a little more doing it yourself and kudos to those who do but itís just a lot more work than I wanted to do for a small amount of points. I highly recommend using Davidís DVC rental.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
DeniseKayC
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
I used our board sponsor Davidís to rent out some extra points. It was incredibly easy. You can make a little more doing it yourself and kudos to those who do but itís just a lot more work than I wanted to do for a small amount of points. I highly recommend using Davidís DVC rental.
I used David's this past year as well. I had a few points I wanted to rent to help pay for an add on, so something I may likely never do again at least in the short term. I was not willing to spend the time it would have taken to do it myself and was happy with the rate David's pays. Transactions all went well and I was a happy customer!
DeniseKayC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
luebkeb13

How many reservations can I make at a time for other folks?
Old 07-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #9
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I think that you can do something like 20 rentals per year? Some of the members who rent regularly could better answer this for you. I’ve only rented out my points once. Send a private message to cmrdgrs.. She’s always been happy to answer questions for me!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
AFIK Thereís no hard rule, you just want to stay under the line where Disney would start with the ďno commercial rentingĒ clause. Common wisdom seems to be that less than 20 ressies per year is pretty safe. They know people rent and they seem to be gererous about it.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote