home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
pacerfan
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default My thoughts on Toy Story Land

We were in Hollywood Studios on July 4th and had fastpasses for Slinky Dog and my wife and kids did stand by, which was only 40 minutes, for the Swirling Saucers. Personally, I don't think the new rides live up to Disney's usual quality and seem better suited for a Six Flags or Kings Island (or DinoLand). We were disappointed especially with how well Disney did with the Pandora expansion. I thought Slinky Dog was similar to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad but a lot smoother, similar to the ride experience you get from Seven Dwarfs Minetrain. My kids and wife said that Swirling Saucers was OK but not as much fun as Midway Mania. Of course, this area will probably appeal more to young families and my girls are 12 and 13. On a positive note now we are able to get fastpasses for Midway Mania, RockNRollercoaster, and Tower of Terror!
pacerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerfan View Post
On a positive note now we are able to get fastpasses for Midway Mania, RockNRollercoaster, and Tower of Terror!
Were you able to get these in advance, i.e. are these no longer all Tier 1? Or did you get them after using your initial 3?

Cheers.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerfan View Post
On a positive note now we are able to get fastpasses for Midway Mania, RockNRollercoaster, and Tower of Terror!
Yes, I'll take the new land as an addition just because it means we can now get TSMM and RnR FP's all at the same time.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Were you able to get these in advance, i.e. are these no longer all Tier 1? Or did you get them after using your initial 3?

Cheers.
The only Tier 1s at DHS are the TSL rides (A.S.S., TSMM, and SDD). TOT and RNRC are both tier 2 (as is BaTB show).
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
pacerfan
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post

Cheers.

You can get all 3 in advance.
pacerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for the review. Iím sure Iíll ride the new rides are some point soon. Besides that will be cute to walk around but wasnít expecting more than that.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
BobParr
One Bedroom

This is about what I expected. Even if the rides aren't spectacular, they are a much-needed addition to get HS over the hump from "half-day" status. SWL should complete that transition. This in turn I hope (slightly) de-pressurize the other three. That's all good IMO.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
cw62803
One Bedroom

We've tried the Slinky Dog roller coaster 4 times now, and love it. Its smooth, faster than I expected, and chock full of good fun and nostalgia.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

A-S-S (Alien Swirling Saucers) is just a repackaging of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree from Radiator Springs in DCA. I thought the attraction was a cute B or C attraction good for all ages.

Can't say anything about SDC since I've not been on it. The original plans called for a bit more than what we ended up with. As for theming, it's tricky - you're dealing with a backyard jumble of toys. It may be a successful achievement of that, which may not be as visually appealing as one had hoped.

Dino-Land in AK is the same - it's actually a very successful execution of the story. It's the story people don't like!!

I've heard SDC is supposed to be phenomenal at night. Keeping the YouTube peaks to a minimum so that I can be wowed in 10 months.

At any rate, I'm glad the land isn't a huge blowout like Pandora. It will be accessible and a nice addition to the new DHS to kill some time, make the little tykes happy, and give guests more to do. SW:GW is supposed to be the blowout of all blowouts.

Dirk
Old 07-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Keeping the YouTube peaks to a minimum so that I can be wowed in 10 months.
I couldn't resist watching the one at night from www.mousesteps.com and I can't wait to try it out myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDq...ature=youtu.be
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote