home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
K&P
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Interesting article about reasons for Solo’s box office difficulties

Interesting article giving some possible reasons for the disappointing box office results of Disney’s ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story. I thought the film was good, but was surprised on the handling of the release date being right up against two other major summer films. Also I wondered at the lack of promotion compared to other films at the time.

https://screenrant.com/solo-star-war...ilure-success/

Last edited by K&P; 07-06-2018 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Clarity
K&P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:25 AM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

So, previously Han Solo had been in movies in 1977, 1980 and 1983 before once again being in a movie 32 years later in 2015 where he died. So then Star Wars fans had forgotten about him and lost interest in the character by 2018?

I do think that it was mismanaged (also can't believe it made it thru so much filming and frankly would love to see what that vision was). But as a backstory it really didn't matter where the movie was placed into the schedule IMO.

For me - we went and saw Episode 7 at a special screening before it's wide release. Rogue One - also opening weekend as it was a story I was really interested in. Episode 8 was I think the second weekend. And after seeing that? I'm not rushing out to see Episode 9 at it's release. If anything, for me, Episode 8 killed a lot of interest in the new movies. I read just enough ***** (don't know why it's starring out the word b_ooks) over the years (ie, only 5-7 or so) to have other story arcs in my head than what has been done in the reboots but Kennedy came in and declared them to not be canon. However, I thought they were better story arcs than what they have been producing.

We still saw Solo because we wanted to see something and couldn't get tickets to Infinity War at a reasonable hour.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Personally I think it's the "Disney effect" AKA as "we had a good idea so lets beat it death"

They can overexpose a franchise like no one else in the world
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
So, previously Han Solo had been in movies in 1977, 1980 and 1983 before once again being in a movie 32 years later in 2015 where he died. So then Star Wars fans had forgotten about him and lost interest in the character by 2018?

I do think that it was mismanaged (also can't believe it made it thru so much filming and frankly would love to see what that vision was). But as a backstory it really didn't matter where the movie was placed into the schedule IMO.

For me - we went and saw Episode 7 at a special screening before it's wide release. Rogue One - also opening weekend as it was a story I was really interested in. Episode 8 was I think the second weekend. And after seeing that? I'm not rushing out to see Episode 9 at it's release. If anything, for me, Episode 8 killed a lot of interest in the new movies. I read just enough ***** (don't know why it's starring out the word b_ooks) over the years (ie, only 5-7 or so) to have other story arcs in my head than what has been done in the reboots but Kennedy came in and declared them to not be canon. However, I thought they were better story arcs than what they have been producing.

We still saw Solo because we wanted to see something and couldn't get tickets to Infinity War at a reasonable hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
Personally I think it's the "Disney effect" AKA as "we had a good idea so lets beat it death"

it's not just the story or characters, it was the original idea, the time in history, the actors that embodied the characters, and the writing/direction that made the early movies a success. after that rogue one, i'm more than done...too boring to live.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )

Last edited by DVCERSINCEDAY1; 07-06-2018 at 07:55 AM.
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post

This! Though I don't see it as a Disney only phenomenon, many groups have done it. Seriously they did too much in too short of a time IMO.

Also it still bothers me that they couldn't coach Alden Ehrenreich to speak a little lower and less nasal-y. It was the only thing I didn't like in the movie. Otherwise it was actually quite good.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Thanks for posting. It makes me very, very sad that this movie did poorly at the box office, comparably. I LOVED it. I still can't believe it didnt' do better and will have this reputation as a box office bomb. I thought it was better than Ep VII and VII, and as enjoyable as Rogue One, but in a totally differnt way.
I thought all the acting was great. I will say that I felt this movie was not 'epic.' It didn't have that kind of epic feel. I thought it kind of played like a great TV series. We are big fans of Clone Wars and Rebels, so I didn't mind that. I sure hope they'll do more, especially a Boba Fett movie.

I think marketing and promotion was off, and it just should've been held until December. Maybe it was VIII backlash, but I don't think so. I think it was the young adult/ millenials not going to see it in droves as they did the others.

That's just a real shame, because all of the cast were wonderful. While I would have tweaked a few things (esp Solo's ending scene on Savareen) but I just LOVED the backstory they gave to Lando, Solo, Chewbacca. The fact that they reference whey Lando pronounces Han's name that way is classic. I have been wondering about that since Empire. I was impressed by all the references to non canon *****, video games, etc. great stuff for the old timer fans.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

I am surprised it did not do better. My 15 year old daughter and I liked it a lot. I think they could have done a little better job casting the role of Han but he story was good and we enjoyed it. I have now officially seen more Star Wars movies than my husband. Wooooohoooo!!!

I hate that so many people let the reviews dictate their opinion of a movie....specifically, several friends (and my husband , as well) did not even see it because they read the reviews were bad...I say go see for yourself and dont let other s choose for you

We rarely go to movies because there is little that interests us so when I find something even a little interesting, I am going! LOL

And, as mentioned before, i now have bragging rights over my husband!

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Speaking strictly for myself...
I'm a huge SW fan, enjoyed episodes 7 and 8, and thought Rogue One was worth watching. But I felt that Solo was "piling on" and my instincts said it may not be of the same quality. Someday I'll watch it and find out it I was right or wrong.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
starry_solo
Two Bedroom

I haven't seen Solo in theatres and am not sure if I ever will (depends if it's still in theatres when I get my AMC A-List pass next week)....

For me, I don't care what happened with Han before he met Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan. A backstory about how he met Chewie is, at most, a 15-20 minutes for a short. With Lando and winning the Millenium Falcon, maybe another 5-10 minutes.

Same thing with Lando. I don't care what happened to him before he met up with Han, Leia, and Chewie in Cloud City.

Same thing with Obi-Wan. We already know he became a hermit and gave the twins away (although the continuity error with what Leia said in RotJ and what happened in RotS still bugs me). Do we need to know what he did when he was a hermit?

Star Wars is about the Skywalker saga. That's the family we care to see more movies about....
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_solo View Post
I haven't seen Solo in theatres and am not sure if I ever will (depends if it's still in theatres when I get my AMC A-List pass next week)....

For me, I don't care what happened with Han before he met Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan. A backstory about how he met Chewie is, at most, a 15-20 minutes for a short. With Lando and winning the Millenium Falcon, maybe another 5-10 minutes.

Same thing with Lando. I don't care what happened to him before he met up with Han, Leia, and Chewie in Cloud City.

Same thing with Obi-Wan. We already know he became a hermit and gave the twins away (although the continuity error with what Leia said in RotJ and what happened in RotS still bugs me). Do we need to know what he did when he was a hermit?

Star Wars is about the Skywalker saga. That's the family we care to see more movies about....
I'm sure some feel that way. I actually loved Han far more than Luke. Bad I know but I really didn't watch the movies for him. I watched for Han and some of Leia. Obi Wan was the winner to me of Ep. 1-3 as well. Not Anakin or Padme.