home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
FessParker1
One Bedroom

Default Gondola Hub

Hollywood studios station for the gondolas has its wheel and pulley system completed. They do need to finish the cosmetics. Caribbean Beach will have a hub where you will need to disembark and re board. Here are the routes.

Hollywood studios to every where will need to disembark at Caribbean Beach.
Caribbean Beach to AoA and Pop.
Caribbean Beach to Rivera and Epcot.

I don't think I'd want to have to disembark and re board at CB every time I went some where but time will tell if it works ok.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
Hollywood studios station for the gondolas has its wheel and pulley system completed. They do need to finish the cosmetics. Caribbean Beach will have a hub where you will need to disembark and re board. Here are the routes.

I don't think I'd want to have to disembark and re board at CB every time I went some where but time will tell if it works ok.
Oh wow -- not sure why I didn't notice this before. For some reason, I always thought DHS connected directly to Epcot.

So Riviera only has a direct shot to Epcot and not DHS...Seems like they should have made the deluxe resort the hub in order to give guests direct access to both Epcot and DHS.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
Oh wow -- not sure why I didn't notice this before. For some reason, I always thought DHS connected directly to Epcot.

So Riviera only has a direct shot to Epcot and not DHS...Seems like they should have made the deluxe resort the hub in order to give guests direct access to both Epcot and DHS.
Having Riviera as the Hub would a) have taken far too much room on the Riviera plot and b) would have had the Riviera station over-crowded, meaning the guests would have been complaining they couldn't even get on the gondola!

As it stands, the only issue really is how to ensure Riviera guests can board to go to Epcot say before park opening; they'll need to send empty cars from the Hub.

The Skyliner was never meant as a route from Epcot to DHS. There are already two ways of getting from one to the other. The aim is to link 3 of the largest resorts on property to both Epcot and DHS.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
pdude81
Grand Villa

I'm kind of surprised they didn't allow for the cars to switch lines, but forcing a vehicle change at the hub really simplifies dispatching and keeps the volume high. Plus it allows for the possibility of another line to be run to that station from Saratoga/DS if warranted in the future. That would have to be built off to the side a bit if they even develop any thought or interest for such a project.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
grayandry
Grand Villa

Iím curious to see:

1) how long the trips take from the various stations

2) if it ends up being easier to just take a bus.
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayandry View Post
Iím curious to see:

1) how long the trips take from the various stations

2) if it ends up being easier to just take a bus.
Supposedly the idea was to eliminate bus service from the resorts that offer this to any potential destinations, but that seems completely insane to me. Certainly there will be fewer buses, so there will be some need to use them at peak times
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

So you'll be staying at the Caribbean Beach, then?
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
FessParker1
One Bedroom

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
So you'll be staying at the Caribbean Beach, then?
Probably not. But kind of puts a new spin on possibly Rivera add on.

Last edited by FessParker1; 06-14-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Supposedly the idea was to eliminate bus service from the resorts that offer this to any potential destinations, but that seems completely insane to me. Certainly there will be fewer buses, so there will be some need to use them at peak times
I know this has been discussed before, but what is the bus situation for MK and Epcot at the monorail resorts? Outside of the monorail being down, they don't run buses to those parks do they? This would be a similar situation.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
FessParker1
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but what is the bus situation for MK and Epcot at the monorail resorts? Outside of the monorail being down, they don't run buses to those parks do they? This would be a similar situation.
What happens when this goes down and your stuck on it in the middle of August and it's 100 degrees out with no AC?