home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Default How does RCI work for DVC members?

I recently closed on a contract and have some points that expire Sept. 1, 2018. I'm trying to determine whether I'll be able to us them or if I should just try to rent them. I know DVC members are able to use points for RCI stays somehow, but I really don't know anything about RCI and was hoping some others could share what they know or provide advice on whether trying to use these soon to expire points on RCI is really a viable option.

I've briefly browsed around the RCI website, but can't see some of the details without having a login. Am I able to register for an account if I'm not an RCI owner or is everything usually handled through DVC MS, as far as seeing prices and availability and being able to book?

Thanks in advance!
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Ok, so I've discovered how to access availability going through a DVC website link. Previous links I tried did not prompt me to login and just routed me to the RCI website. Searching now and it's looking like slim pickings.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Yes, by now you've discovered that DVC enjoys a Corporate Membership to RCI. You do not require an individual membership subscription, nor is it offered to you.

There are several ways to use RCI through DVC:
  • EXCHANGE your DVC points for an RCI stay.
    These can be either weekly stays or shorter stays (as little as 1 night, perhaps). Generally the exchange option comes with an exchange fee ... but these have been waived for a promotional period. I'm not sure when that promotional period ends.

Two ways to use the Exchange method:
    • Confirm First. This method allows you to search the RCI inventory and select your desired exchange before committing any of your DVC points. The DVC points remain in your DVC account until you complete the follow-through on accepting the exchange.
    • Deposit First. This method can be used to extend the life of your points. Please check with Member Services (by phone or online chat?) ... but I think that deposited points are given a 24-month booking window. You can also, likely, pay a fee to extend that booking window if you need more time.
  • PAY for RCI excess inventory Rental weeks.
    This option can be a nifty tool for trying out new destinations with very little risk. Rental weeks start at $249/week, I think?
For the most part, successful RCI exchanges are often booked 12-24 months in advance. (That accounts for the slim pickings inventory you are seeing between now and Sept 1.) Summer and holiday weeks are often booked long advance using 'waitlist' systems. (The good weeks never make it to the visible inventory web results.)

In your case, I'd advice checking the site often (multiple times each week or even each day) to find last-minute cancellations. If you find something of interest, book it right away ... it won't stay around for you to shop airfare, consult with family, etc.

Otherwise ... rent the near expiration points through David's. You almost can't go wrong with that option?

Good luck; enjoy!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Rent your points.

As an RCI owner, I would never waste my Disney points in trade into what they have to offer. If you rent your points, you're likely to get more than enough money to cover an RCI rental from one of the owners.

There are a handful of good RCI resorts to visit -- my faves include one resort we frequent in Kauai and Hershey Suites. But for the most part, Disney resorts are the best thing they offer.

Feel free to PM me if you have any RCI questions, and good luck renting the points. There should be some ppl looking for a good Labor Day trip!

Feb 2019 VGF
May 2019 VGF
June 2019 BLT
Aug 2019 Celebrity Eclipse to Alaska
Oct 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise -- waitlist
Nov 2019 AKL - tentative
Feb 2020 Disney Fantasy - tentative

Last edited by dvf_diva; 05-29-2018 at 09:47 AM.
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
DonJose
One Bedroom

If you can't rent your points because the time window is too tight (for DVC), look into RCI as it provides a way to extend the lifetime of your points for (up to) a couple of years past their expiration date. That is the only reason to do an RCI exchange. I did it back in 2014 -- don't know how the rules have changed since. I found a nice vacation spot within driving distance.

It's also nice to have the $95 exchange fee waived during this promotional period but who knows how long that will last.

DonJose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
Janann
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I have done many very nice RCI exchanges over the years through my Hilton timeshare ownership. However, as mentioned, advanced planning is required. Your deadline of September means that the best resorts have already been picked up by other RCI members. Highest and best use of DVC is with a DVC resort.
Janann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Thank you all for the information and your suggestions. I had a little bit of time today to explore the RCI website, but I'm going to take another look tonight. As some of you have mentioned, it seems like most of the properties offered through RCI are already booked during the next three months. I doubt I'm going to find anything, so my best options are to either rent the points or see if its not too late to exchange them into RCI and extend the life of the points. This later option had been mentioned to me once before, but I seem to remember someone saying that in order to do that, it needs to be done by a certain point (which I may have already passed). I'll have to see if I can find that post to see if I am remembering correctly.

Exchanging into RCI isn't something I would normally consider using my DVC points for, but because of the time crunch and limited studio availability at DVC properties (only SSR has any real studio availability), I'm really just trying to figure out something to do with the points so they don't go to waste. We were just at WDW in February and between flights, theme park tickets, and dining, I'm not sure we're looking to spend that much on an additional vacation this summer and SSR would not be at the top of my list of places to stay at WDW.

bwvBound, thank you for explaining in detail what my options are with RCI. The last minute cash deals sound like a great deal, if there are any decent locations available. In this case, I'm really just looking to use my expiring points. I will most likely try to rent my points through David's, but before I do so, I'm going to look into the Deposit method and extending the life of the points. I'll probably call MS tomorrow to see if it is even an option first.

Thanks again!

Last edited by JCinWonderland; 05-29-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:59 PM   #8
JimP
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janann View Post
Highest and best use of DVC is with a DVC resort.

DVC is an expensive timeshare... so many experienced timeshare traders would only trade DVC as a last resort. The people who really make out use cheap traders to get expensive units in return.

I’m not too sure how much a 2BR unit costs per week. MFs alone must be at least $1500 or $2000 and possibly a bit more. My normal traders have a MF of $650. I’ve picked up traders for $25. That changes the economics of trading quite a bit. I never trade with DVC. I love it when I can get a week in a DVC 2BR with my $650 trader. I would not want to use my BWV points to get a $600 cheap timeshare.

I am currently finishing a 7 week Hawaii vacation, 6 weeks of which was via trading. All 6 weeks were 2BR units in expensive resorts (Marriott, Westin, Hilton). My cost per week, including all exchange fees was about $850 per week. If you believe the timeshare sales folks, the rack rate is $1500 per night (nobody really pays that). That is the way you win in the trading market. The experts do better than me.

/Jim

Look Dad, they're building a new one!!!
Quote (in jest) by: DS, DD#1, DD#2, Circa 2003

Annual pass holders since 1989
Click here to visit my family website
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:54 AM   #9
frank808
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

DVC is an expensive timeshare... so many experienced timeshare traders would only trade DVC as a last resort. The people who really make out use cheap traders to get expensive units in return.

Iím not too sure how much a 2BR unit costs per week. MFs alone must be at least $1500 or $2000 and possibly a bit more. My normal traders have a MF of $650. Iíve picked up traders for $25. That changes the economics of trading quite a bit. I never trade with DVC. I love it when I can get a week in a DVC 2BR with my $650 trader. I would not want to use my BWV points to get a $600 cheap timeshare.

I am currently finishing a 7 week Hawaii vacation, 6 weeks of which was via trading. All 6 weeks were 2BR units in expensive resorts (Marriott, Westin, Hilton). My cost per week, including all exchange fees was about $850 per week. If you believe the timeshare sales folks, the rack rate is $1500 per night (nobody really pays that). That is the way you win in the trading market. The experts do better than me.

/Jim
Only Hilton trades through RCI. All the other major hotel timeshares (westin, marriott, sheraton) trade through Interval International. 2br oceanfront at westin kaanapali, maui ocean club lahaina or napili towers or westin nanea would be some of the 2br units that people actually pay $1500 a night during certain seasons.

How long ago did you get a trade into dvc 2br unit? Must have been at least 1.5 years ago. Haven't seen a confirmed 2br trade into dvc for so long. A few years ago i was able to use my hgvc points to stay at aulani for 8 weeks in 1br and 2br ocean view units during jan to march. Great use of hgvc points as a 1br was 3400 and 2br was 4800 hgvc points. Was so thrilled but alas that is gone also. Now no trades by hgvc into aulani even with a search that is at least 4 years old.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #10
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvf_diva View Post
Rent your points.

As an RCI owner, I would never waste my Disney points in trade into what they have to offer. If you rent your points, you're likely to get more than enough money to cover an RCI rental from one of the owners.

There are a handful of good RCI resorts to visit -- my faves include one resort we frequent in Kauai and Hershey Lodge. But for the most part, Disney resorts are the best thing they offer.

Feel free to PM me if you have any RCI questions, and good luck renting the points. There should be some ppl looking for a good Labor Day trip!
I am really interested in the Hershey suites ( only an hour away from us). Iím sending you a PM...

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote