home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Default Just off the Wonder From San Diego- Some Comparisons

As I'm sitting in San Diego airport waiting for my flight back to Baltimore, I thought I'd pass the time with a few comments from our DCL Wonder sailing out of the Port of San Diego.

I'll start with the airports. BWI flying Southest. This airport has it together from checking to baggage check to the massive Southwest hub. Just cant be beat from the eateries to spacious sitting areas. First class airport.

San Diego airport. Too small!! For the amount of passengers it needs a major over haul. Poor eating facilities. One bathroom area ( in our gate area). Very disorganized bag check in. An expansion is sorely needed.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

The port terminals. San Diego port by far beats out Port Canaveral hands down! We had the easiest port check in ever. You walk into the check in area, security checks passports then you walk your baggage outside where they grab it and hoist them up onto a cart easy peasy! Then you walk into the Disney checking area. Multiple lines, no waits. Walked right up, checked in, walked onto the boat. All in like 20 min! Awesome. A+

Port Canaveral. Much more populated. More of a laborious bag check. More congested inside the port waiting for your boarding number to be called. C-

Old 05-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

The ships.The Wonder holds a little over 2000 passengers. Our last sailing on the Fantasy seemed to be nearly double. The smaller amount of passengers was very evident from the feel in the restaurants, to pool areas, to hallways.

From now on, if possible, we will only sail on the Magic or Wonder. Just a more relaxed feel. Sometimes more is less, and in this case, the bigger ships do not mean a better cruise.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Following along. Very interesting points so far! Glad that you enjoyed your cruise!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
San Diego airport. Too small!! For the amount of passengers it needs a major over haul. Poor eating facilities. One bathroom area ( in our gate area). Very disorganized bag check in. An expansion is sorely needed.
I'm guessing you are specifically at gates 1, 1a or 2. Yes, this "wing" is far too small. It gets better if your gate were at one of the long wings of the terminal.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
The port terminals. San Diego port by far beats out Port Canaveral hands down! We had the easiest port check in ever. You walk into the check in area, security checks passports then you walk your baggage outside where they grab it and hoist them up onto a cart easy peasy! Then you walk into the Disney checking area. Multiple lines, no waits. Walked right up, checked in, walked onto the boat. All in like 20 min! Awesome. A+
LOL. San Diego is our home port. We sailed last week from Seattle and really grumbled about the arrival, baggage check, security and check-in processes. Debarkation wasn't much better ... the signage to "ride-share" areas didn't intend to include Uber/Lyft. Oh, ok ... yep, sure. I'll turn around, retrace my steps to the port and walk that extra half mile beyond the next row of buildings. So what does Seattle think "ride-share" really means ... ?

Our cruise last Oct from the San Diego port was a walk-on breeze compared!

Last edited by bwvBound; 05-16-2018 at 03:45 PM.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Fun Fact: San Diego (SAN) has one of the the two shortest runways among major US airports, with Chicago Midway (MDW) being the other. Don't remember which is shorter.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
Aurora
Two Bedroom

Thanks for the information. Good to know. We took the little boat to Norway 2 years ago and to Alaska 7 years ago. Have gone on the Dream but never the Fantasy. We took the 2 smaller ones when they first came out to Nasa. Love to cruise. Have never left from San Diego...
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
Ariel's Sister
Studio

My only complaint about BWI, my preferred airport, is the painfully slow delivery of checked bags to the carousel! This is true for all airlines. Iím told itís due to a quirky system...

MaryJane
Ariel's Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel's Sister View Post
My only complaint about BWI, my preferred airport, is the painfully slow delivery of checked bags to the carousel! This is true for all airlines. Iím told itís due to a quirky system...

MaryJane
Depends on when your flight arrives on the speed of luggage making it to the bag claim area.

BWI Southwest terminal is one of our favorites. Makes a big, big difference that the terminal 1 & 2 were built specifically for the airline and post 9/11, which had the security/TSA built in and not added in.