home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
BBMouse
Studio

Default TIW Phone Order = extra time

Just passing along a tip that I stumbled upon.

We have trip in mid June stopping first at VB and then heading to WDW. VB takes Tables in Wonderland (TIW) so I called to purchase over the phone. Rep said cards would arrive in mail in up to three weeks and also said that they extend the membership until the end of the next month to account for the delay. So using our example, purchase by phone anytime in May 2018 and it's valid until June 30, 2019 regardless of first use. Not our intention, but it now will now cover our full summer 2019 trip. Oh, and the mailed cards are plastic cards instead of the flimsy paper ones you get at guest relations. Note: to purchase, AP vouchers are not sufficient, but DVC member number is.
BBMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
LauraLea
One Bedroom

You get that extra month even when purchasing at WDW, it is not just over the phone.

That said I will always purchase the plastic one over the phone. You cannot believe how happy it makes your server when you hand them the plastic card. Always get a big smile and thank you from them.

We live less than an hour from WDW and my current card expires at the end of this month. Our next DVC reservation begins 10/1/18 and currently have no plans to dine there this summer. I am gladly giving up the extra month and calling in September to get my card before our Oct trip.

Laura
LauraLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
BBMouse
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLea View Post
You get that extra month even when purchasing at WDW, it is not just over the phone.

That said I will always purchase the plastic one over the phone. You cannot believe how happy it makes your server when you hand them the plastic card. Always get a big smile and thank you from them.

We live less than an hour from WDW and my current card expires at the end of this month. Our next DVC reservation begins 10/1/18 and currently have no plans to dine there this summer. I am gladly giving up the extra month and calling in September to get my card before our Oct trip.

Laura
I think it used to be that you got until the end of the month of the following year for WDW purchase (e.g. purchase Oct 1, 2018 get through Oct 31, 2019). The rep on the phone today said in person purchases expire one year from the date of the purchase (she added that you might be lucky to get a generous CM who would accept it through the end of the month, but it is not required). So, anyone planning on that extra time for WDW purchase should confirm the policy. But, even assuming it were valid through the end of the month, only over the phone gets you until the end of the following month (e.g. purchase Oct 1, 2018 valid through Nov 30, 2019). The extra time is for mailing, but does add an extra month if you have an end of the month trip planned.

And, yes, I am definitely happy about the plastic card and use in VB before we hit WDW.
BBMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMouse View Post
I think it used to be that you got until the end of the month of the following year for WDW purchase (e.g. purchase Oct 1, 2018 get through Oct 31, 2019). The rep on the phone today said in person purchases expire one year from the date of the purchase (she added that you might be lucky to get a generous CM who would accept it through the end of the month, but it is not required). So, anyone planning on that extra time for WDW purchase should confirm the policy. But, even assuming it were valid through the end of the month, only over the phone gets you until the end of the following month (e.g. purchase Oct 1, 2018 valid through Nov 30, 2019). The extra time is for mailing, but does add an extra month if you have an end of the month trip planned.

And, yes, I am definitely happy about the plastic card and use in VB before we hit WDW.
From 2012 until my last purchase this past February, you have always gotten 13 months. A card purchased Jan 1st would be valid through the end of February. Unless it changed in the last 4 months I think you stumbled upon an uninformed CM. Either way, nice on the extra month.

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD11DD8
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
noreen99
Two Bedroom

When I called to order mine they said up to 3weeks had it in about 5 days. Not sure if it was just a little pixie dust or they just always say 3 weeks as a standard so no one calls up angry screaming whereís my card.

What I didnít expect was phone orders do not take gift cards...felt like an idiot trying to hunt down my pocketbook and wallet and not having it ready.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
captainjack
Two Bedroom

Default Tiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmer55 View Post
From 2012 until my last purchase this past February, you have always gotten 13 months. A card purchased Jan 1st would be valid through the end of February. Unless it changed in the last 4 months I think you stumbled upon an uninformed CM. Either way, nice on the extra month.
I agree. My TIW expired on Jan.11 while we were there. I purchased a new one and it expires the last day in Feb. 2019. I have experienced this on all of my TIW renewals.
captainjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
Kreis76
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Conflicting info received on tiw. I know by rule they say resale owners canít buy tiw but you also arenít supposed to buy it over the phone with dvc either and lots of people have. So I wonder as a resale owner if itís worth the shot to try and purchase over the phone to see if they even catch that Iím resale or not lol
Kreis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
jnoel
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLea View Post

Laura
The paper cards SUCK, within 2-3 days mine always stops working. I was told I could call in and get a replacement plastic card to replace my paper one.

Do I just call 407.WDW.DINE or is there a special number fort TiW?
jnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel View Post
The paper cards SUCK, within 2-3 days mine always stops working. I was told I could call in and get a replacement plastic card to replace my paper one.

Do I just call 407.WDW.DINE or is there a special number fort TiW?
Yes a special number. That and gobs of other info is at their website, http://tablesinwonderland.com
I won't deny you the thrill of getting the number yourself there. (But somebody else probably will...)

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:10 AM   #10
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmer55 View Post

Yup, that has always been my experience as well.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote