home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
Polynesian27
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Renting DVC or Cash through Disney

Hi All, I have rented points for years on mouseowners and recently have been trying to find a DVC member looking to rent their points for an upcoming stay. However , Iím finding that the price per point average is around $16-$18 per point. We typically rent to save around 40% but at $16.00 per points itís basically the same as booking through Disney. Am I missing something here? With Disneyís inability to fill rooms this summer there is availability just about everywhere for all room categories. I totally understand paying a premium for hard to get or sold out reservation but with availability pretty much wide open with Disney and the various discounts and AP rates I donít understand why $16 per point is a deal? I absolutely hate booking with Disney and would much rather book with a DVC member and perhaps you guys can help me understand what is going on here or if im totally missing something? Thanks so much!!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

You will find your answer here......

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=121704
Old 05-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

when you find a dvc cash booking that is available and less than the same dvc booking at $16-18+, please post it. i've yet to see this and won't believe it until i do.

you are probably comparing promotion rates of a value to a dvc cash booking.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Go direct with Disney if you getting same price. Point prices have gone up significantly. High MF and high buy in price increases cost the point to own much higher then couple yrs ago.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
Old 05-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

The rental price starts at $6.20 pp.......That is this year's maintenance fees.

Then you need to add the cost per point for Poly.....$34k buyin for 200 points. 50yrs x 200 = 10,000 pts, 34,000/10,000 = $3.4 pp buyin cost.

$6.20 mf + $3.40 buy-in - $9.60 per point cost per point. So anything over $9.60 is profit for the owner.

Also, don't discount supply and demand. Supply at DVC resorts are very, very tight. Cash rooms not as much, but still high. Even if you pay cash with Disney to stay at the Poly, the DVC room is superior.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
The rental price starts at $6.20 pp.......That is this year's maintenance fees.

Then you need to add the cost per point for Poly.....$34k buyin for 200 points. 50yrs x 200 = 10,000 pts, 34,000/10,000 = $3.4 pp buyin cost.

$6.20 mf + $3.40 buy-in - $9.60 per point cost per point. So anything over $9.60 is profit for the owner.

Also, don't discount supply and demand. Supply at DVC resorts are very, very tight. Cash rooms not as much, but still high. Even if you pay cash with Disney to stay at the Poly, the DVC room is superior.
not "profit" - positive cash flow. from that must deduct opportunity costs from investing in something else entirely, advertising costs (redweek, ebay), declining use years (don't actually own), time (is money) to find/work with renter, etc.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
Old 05-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Compare apples to apples here. Even a studio is nicer than a hotel room. However, a 1-bedroom is the size of two hotel rooms. A 2-bedroom is the size of 3 hotel rooms. And donít forget that you have a full kitchen and W/D in the 1- and 2-bedroom villas. I would also like to see the cost for a hotel room rivaling the cost for a studio. Iím sure it happens and am not being condescending. Please share the details if you find it.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Compare apples to apples here. Even a studio is nicer than a hotel room. However, a 1-bedroom is the size of two hotel rooms. A 2-bedroom is the size of 3 hotel rooms. And donít forget that you have a full kitchen and W/D in the 1- and 2-bedroom villas. I would also like to see the cost for a hotel room rivaling the cost for a studio. Iím sure it happens and am not being condescending. Please share the details if you find it.
We have often gotten the promotional discounts CRO for 1 & 2 bedrooms at Kidani OKW ect... usually 35-40% off with pin codes. The discounted promotional pricing is always greatest on deluxe room categories the only caveat being no grand villas. This is how we tried out the DVC rooms before picking out our home resort. I donít mean to offend those that rent out thier points but it was not something I would consider...I preferr CRO w/discount. Being able to control reservation still have a cancellation policy ect...Those rooms are available for cash and at discounted rates without renting points.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #9
MelMass
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default I agree

As a long time renter, I am starting to agree with this. We rented for the fall, but if prices continue to rise the way they are (and they will), this will most definitely be our last year renting. We have a DVC Rental this fall and added one cash night through an agent and the price is almost the same per night. The exception being, we can actually cancel the one through the agent without penalty. The risks associated with renting, the inability to change plans and the rising costs are making renting "no longer worth it" for our family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynesian27 View Post
. Hi All, I have rented points for years on mouseowners and recently have been trying to find a DVC member looking to rent their points for an upcoming stay. However , I’m finding that the price per point average is around $16-$18 per point. We typically rent to save around 40% but at $16.00 per points it’s basically the same as booking through Disney. Am I missing something here? With Disney’s inability to fill rooms this summer there is availability just about everywhere for all room categories. I totally understand paying a premium for hard to get or sold out reservation but with availability pretty much wide open with Disney and the various discounts and AP rates I don’t understand why $16 per point is a deal? I absolutely hate booking with Disney and would much rather book with a DVC member and perhaps you guys can help me understand what is going on here or if im totally missing something? Thanks so much!!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
We have often gotten the promotional discounts CRO for 1 & 2 bedrooms at Kidani OKW ect... usually 35-40% off with pin codes. The discounted promotional pricing is always greatest on deluxe room categories the only caveat being no grand villas. This is how we tried out the DVC rooms before picking out our home resort. I donít mean to offend those that rent out thier points but it was not something I would consider...I preferr CRO w/discount. Being able to control reservation still have a cancellation policy ect...Those rooms are available for cash and at discounted rates without renting points.
I will agree that with those special discounts, (pin code, non transferrable) you could find some decent discounts. However, those offerings have gotten fewer and farther between with more restrictions placed on travel. So Iím not sure that it is a fair comparison to renting DVC from an owner or broker because 1. Not everyone gets those offers and 2. The offers are more watered down than they used to be. Itís the Disney way.