home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Default Will Universal add another theme park?

With the completion of the lawsuit relating to land development on 475 acres that Universal purchased a few years ago (they are cleared) and the announcement of the purchase of an additional 101 acres I was just thinking.....

Wouldn't it be interesting if Universal equaled Disney for # of Theme Parks? The main reason for the lawsuit was the previous owner said they still held the rights to prevent certain development while Universal wanted to have it available for a theme park should they wish. They have not announced any concrete plans but with 575 total acres they have some space available now.

And Disney sits on their 4 fairly overcrowded parks with all that land they've had for years and years.

Time will tell what Universal does but maybe them announcing a new park will finally get that 5th gate at WDW.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
PSULion22
Grand Villa

That would require 2 more theme parks from Uni. I don't care what they call it, Volcano Bay is a water park. If we're counting it then Disney has 6.

Yes, they'll be building another park on that land, likely heavily Nintendo and Dreamworks based.

No, I don't think it will cause a 5th gate at Disney.

Last edited by PSULion22; 04-12-2018 at 02:44 PM.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
That would require 2 more theme parks from Uni. I don't care what they call it, Volcano Bay is a water park. If we're counting it then Disney has 6.

Yes, they'll be building another park on that land, likely heavily Nintendo and Dreamworks based.

No, I don't think it will cause a 5th gate at Disney.
I wasn't counting Volcano Bay as a theme park either - but a water park that counts against Disney's 2 water parks.

But just imagine if Universal got to a point with 4 theme parks plus one or two water parks. Compared to the one that is supposed to be the standard just a few miles down the road with all the land in the world to build upon.

Just a thought that ran thru my head - certainly not a given nor even expected but then a few years ago I never would have expected Universal would be entertaining a 3rd park either. And I doubt there were many others that thought that either.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I wasn't counting Volcano Bay as a theme park either - but a water park that counts against Disney's 2 water parks.

But just imagine if Universal got to a point with 4 theme parks plus one or two water parks. Compared to the one that is supposed to be the standard just a few miles down the road with all the land in the world to build upon.

Just a thought that ran thru my head - certainly not a given nor even expected but then a few years ago I never would have expected Universal would be entertaining a 3rd park either. And I doubt there were many others that thought that either.
I did, when Comcast bought them and showed the willingness to spend money.

In terms of capex and spending efficiency, adding a new park may be a very bad idea. 50% more parks doesn't come close to meaning 50% more attendance or revenue. I don't find Uni busy enough to warrant an entire new park. I don't think it's going to attract 50% more guests than it does now. And the distance and difficulty traversing it will be a large limiting factor. The increase in ticket/pass prices to account for the new park may drive people away as well. They would be better served focusing on improving their creativity and improving poorly used areas of what they have than trying to plan out a whole new park.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
I did, when Comcast bought them and showed the willingness to spend money.

In terms of capex and spending efficiency, adding a new park may be a very bad idea. 50% more parks doesn't come close to meaning 50% more attendance or revenue. I don't find Uni busy enough to warrant an entire new park. I don't think it's going to attract 50% more guests than it does now. And the distance and difficulty traversing it will be a large limiting factor. The increase in ticket/pass prices to account for the new park may drive people away as well. They would be better served focusing on improving their creativity and improving poorly used areas of what they have than trying to plan out a whole new park.
But you can't keep cramming more and more people into the new parks either. Of course it's not an immediate jump but a long term planning that does allow the growth to continue. The cramming is more directed at Disney than Universal.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
But you can't keep cramming more and more people into the new parks either. Of course it's not an immediate jump but a long term planning that does allow the growth to continue. The cramming is more directed at Disney than Universal.
Disney has shown that to be incorrect. They keep refreshing things, but adding very little. But attendance is at record levels, and continues to grow despite rising prices. And that's before an area themed to one of the most popular IPs in the world opens. In terms of operational efficiency, it's a much better use of resources. Yes, it's crowded and continues to get more so. But from a business standpoint, that's what you want.

HP content has been the only thing that moves the needle for Uni. Except for a few times a year, their parks aren't crowded at all. HHN draws a lot of people. So unless this new park is all HP or HHN, which it won't be, I don't see it causing much growth, particularly in return for the resources spent on it. And I very highly doubt their visitors will tolerate the 50% increase in ticket prices that would be associated with this.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
PSULion22
Grand Villa

What would cause growth and bring a good return on investment would be if they built something different than they offer now. Possibly a more thrill ride park, but highly themed. Get away from the screen based rides they are building exclusively now.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Indy
Add-on Aficionado

Adventura hotel is opening August 2018 , and then two more value hotels are opening, One in 2019 and the other 2020 (all on Universal studios property) so they're planning on some kind of expansion, Yep i could see another Park ☺ ... but i bet they'll take their time to figure out what's best. That's what they've done since opening in 1990, .... 28 years ago ☺
.... we've started going in early 1990's (and WDW since 1973) ... it's been fun watching (and enjoying) them grow ☺

WDW

Last edited by Indy; 04-13-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Zencuda
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I would like to see a thrill park, along the lines of Cedar Point or Magic Mountain open up, I think there would be a market for that. After I have been on a few 3D rides with screens I have been on them all. A well themed thrill park, with good food would be a great addition to the area.
Zencuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #10
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zencuda View Post
I would like to see a thrill park, along the lines of Cedar Point or Magic Mountain open up, I think there would be a market for that. After I have been on a few 3D rides with screens I have been on them all. A well themed thrill park, with good food would be a great addition to the area.
I agree about the 3D rides. I tire of them quickly. I don't know that a CP like park would work though. After all I fear that if they think Hulk is exciting that the rest of the coasters will be equally as blah.