home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
OBNurseNH
Studio

Default Asking Price differences?

Understanding this board is sponsored by one of the big retailers of DVC resale, I'm wondering if it's okay to ask why I noticed a huge asking price difference on another often mentioned retailer. It seemed as much as a $10per point asking price. Any idea why that is?
OBNurseNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBNurseNH View Post
Understanding this board is sponsored by one of the big retailers of DVC resale, I'm wondering if it's okay to ask why I noticed a huge asking price difference on another often mentioned retailer. It seemed as much as a $10per point asking price. Any idea why that is?
Any one can ask any price, not necessarily contracts are selling at those price.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
OBNurseNH
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Any one can ask any price, not necessarily contracts are selling at those price.
So you're suggesting that these contracts would sell for over asking? Is that common? It showed a ton of sold contracts with low low asking prices.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
This. List price sometimes has as much to do with timing or the seller's personality as it does with the firm listing the contract.

The site you are seeing may be a lot closer to typical selling prices than ask, but there are a lot of factors that go into pricing beyond just the number of points.

I recently bought a contract via the board sponsor and their communication and attention to detail were much much better than what I was dealing with on another contract I was pursuing at the same time from a different seller.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I think that most people will offer what they feel the contract is worth, which is usually less than the seller's asking price.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBNurseNH View Post
So you're suggesting that these contracts would sell for over asking? Is that common? It showed a ton of sold contracts with low low asking prices.
Rarely would they sell above asking. I think the idea is that a seller can say they want 165 a point for the contract, but after some time they may settle for 130. The real price then is 130, but if you don't offer you won't know.

Some sellers also keep sold listings on their sites for months and you don't actually know they sold a long time ago when the market looked a little different. And some sales are distressed and people need money right away. In that case they might list the contract in such a way that it sells within a day or two just to get it closed faster.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

First, in comparing asking are you taking into consideration the size of the contract (smaller contracts sell for higher $pp) and the available points (banked/borrowed)? I do not keep a close eye on resale as we are not in the market to add on right now, but I have never seen the kind of differences you are talking about on contracts of the same size and similar status of available points.
Another factor to consider is closing cost. For example there is at least one poplular broker that charges a lower commission to sellers but adds an Administrative fee (I think around $200) to buyers. So, the savings might not be as much as it initially appears. This broker tends to have lower asking prices but they donít offer the same level of service. We were fine with the reduced level of service to save money but a lot of buyers HATE it.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
OBNurseNH
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
First, in comparing asking are you taking into consideration the size of the contract (smaller contracts sell for higher $pp) and the available points (banked/borrowed)? I do not keep a close eye on resale as we are not in the market to add on right now, but I have never seen the kind of differences you are talking about on contracts of the same size and similar status of available points.
Another factor to consider is closing cost. For example there is at least one poplular broker that charges a lower commission to sellers but adds an Administrative fee (I think around $200) to buyers. So, the savings might not be as much as it initially appears. This broker tends to have lower asking prices but they donít offer the same level of service. We were fine with the reduced level of service to save money but a lot of buyers HATE it.
Yes, I do understand that smaller contracts are higher price per point. I was comparing apples-to-apples re: contract size/home resort/available points.

I did not realize about a possible administrative fee - although 200 bucks is next to nothing when comparing contracts, for the most part - but I did wonder about "level of service". Wondering what could be lacking - this seems like a pretty straightforward process, all told, so I'm not sure that there's a lot of service to be given. What would I be loking for in this regard when comparing one broker to another?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

Posted prices mean nothing at the end of the day.

I realize that we all get caught up in the prospect of owning or adding on, but you need to determine what (within reason) you are willing to pay/want to buy and be patient. Sometimes a seller will be motivated at that low offer will be accepted, other times you'll have to wait for the next one.

The ROFR thread bears this out as it is usually filled with accepted offers that were below public asking prices.

The hardest part is recognizing a good deal and resisting the urge to underbid it. My almost fully loaded VGF contract was listed on Labor day 2017 for $135, which was about $15 less than anything else out there at the time. I initially bid 132, but then wised up a few minutes later and offered full asking price because I knew someone else would. Why risk losing a solid deal over $450? I needed that contract off the market ASAP before it turned into a bidding war.

Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
OBNurseNH
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
Posted prices mean nothing at the end of the day.

I realize that we all get caught up in the prospect of owning or adding on, but you need to determine what (within reason) you are willing to pay/want to buy and be patient. Sometimes a seller will be motivated at that low offer will be accepted, other times you'll have to wait for the next one.

The ROFR thread bears this out as it is usually filled with accepted offers that were below public asking prices.

The hardest part is recognizing a good deal and resisting the urge to underbid it. My almost fully loaded VGF contract was listed on Labor day 2017 for $135, which was about $15 less than anything else out there at the time. I initially bid 132, but then wised up a few minutes later and offered full asking price because I knew someone else would. Why risk losing a solid deal over $450? I needed that contract off the market ASAP before it turned into a bidding war.
Right.

I was more interested in why one broker would be listed so much less than the others.

I know what I'm willing to bid; I just hope that when we are ready to throw down the cash there will still be some out there for me to snag. it does seem like they're sitting longer.