home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
ResalesDVC
TRUSTED BOARD SPONSOR!!

Default DISNEY DINING PLAN: Should you get it?

One way to enjoy the incredible food at Walt Disney World is to use a Disney Dining Plan. And new for 2018, alcohol is included! In this post, Leah goes over the top reasons to consider buying the dining plan. Read more here: https://www.resalesdvc.com/disney-di...ces-info-tips/
Kristen Tutas, Lic. Broker Associate
Rachel Thompson, Lic. Broker Associate
Meet Our Entire Team

ResalesDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
Boundin'
Grand Villa

If I were ever going to do a DP again, it would be the new QSDP. My wife does not drink, so I would get her cocktails which would be nice.

However, just like "buy where you want to stay", I believe "eat where you want to eat". I don't even want to think of whether something is on the plan, not on the plan, etc. If they are offering a discount, I'll take it. But I have to be free to eat where and what I want. No Plans, man! I gotta be free!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
TexasChick
Grand Villa

We did it on our last WDW trip and found that it was too much food for us. We did save some money because we did a ton of character meals, but we had so many snack credits left over that we just went to the gift shop and bought a ton of junk. Most of it got thrown out about a month later when I was cleaning out the pantry.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
MagicAllAroundUs
One Bedroom

Last year, it worked for us because it being the first year my daughter had to actually pay for the character buffets, I realized that with as much as we spent dining at those buffets it was a great savings primarily on the kids portion alone. (Even better than Tables in Wonderland if I calculated correctly.) In addition, my husband ended up surprising us and joining us for a portion of the trip and since he was only going to be there for 1/3 of our stay, we added him as a day guest each day and we were able to share our dining plan for TS meals. Often times, a three course meal (Deluxe Dining Plan) was way too much food for me alone, so sharing worked perfectly. It also helps if you are booking two rooms to have just one room sign up for the Deluxe Dining Plan and share it. I've asked MULTIPLE CMs and they really don't frown upon sharing the dining plan with guests who aren't staying with you.

We were also able to use our snack credits to buy a lot of souvenir gifts (Pandora egg rice krispie treats, etc) for our friends back home. I also made a list of all the savory snacks that are good to order in between meals throughout the parks.

We always plan out every meal 6 months before as we make our dining reservations, looking at each menu and calculating whether the DDP is a better value over Tables in Wonderland. When you can share the Deluxe Dining Plan with someone else not on the reservation, it's wonderful.

We weren't planning on getting it again because we realized for the longer trips and with my daughter being a little less picky, we really didn't need to be doing character buffets as much as twice a day like we were last year, but with the addition of alcohol...... it's kind of worth it.

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

For most trips, I recommend against getting the dining plan. It has its moments, but they are few and far between.

If you can use one of the dining plan loopholes, then by all means get the dining plan.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
MagicAllAroundUs
One Bedroom

Oh and itís especially useful if youíre going during Food & Wine, which we always had in previous years. The snack credits go a long way there, because you could spend it on things like the $7+ lamb chops or filet mignon.

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
runner1219
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Right now the regular DP works for us. My son is still young enough to enjoy the character meals so we usually do one of the dinner buffets for our TS. We aren't big breakfast people so we use one of the snacks to grab a muffin on the way to the park. This way we are hungry for a QS meal and since my son also eats the same amount of food as some adults even though he's only 6 it isn't too much food for us. I can't imagine doing 3 TS meals a day though. That would probably be too much food and take too much time.

Plus since my son is still at the child rate one buffet dinner is basically more than the cost for his whole DP for the day. So even if I didn't get my full value out of the plan for the day he more than makes up for it. Once he is charged as an adult, or isn't as interested in the character meals I don't know if it would still be worth it, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
runner1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

My husband likes the convenience of knowing all the food is paid for. I am really trying to convince him we should just put the price of the dining plan on a Visa gift card and test it on one of our trips to see how we come out.

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
For most trips, I recommend against getting the dining plan. It has its moments, but they are few and far between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
My husband likes the convenience of knowing all the food is paid for. I am really trying to convince him we should just put the price of the dining plan on a Visa gift card and test it on one of our trips to see how we come out.
This is us! I have run the numbers again and again over our trips, but there has never been a time in which the DP would have saved us money. Our kids are charged the adult price and eat kids portions for CS, and we don't order desserts with meals because we simply don't eat that much food (we'd rather have an ice cream or other treat a couple hours later). Even for my wife and me, we rarely spend $75 a person in a day, and we NEVER do over a series of days.

Some of our family's favorite TS restaurants....
-Garden Grill dinner: $40
-Rose and Crown: $30
-Liberty Tree Dinner: $35
-Chef Mickey's breakfast: $40
-Trail's End Dinner: $30
-Whispering Canyon dinner: $34
-T-Rex: $35
-Yachtsman steakhouse: $65
-I could go on...

I know that we are not the most adventurous eaters, but 2 snacks and a counter service meal are worth $20-$25 at most, which means you need to spend $50-$55 per day on TS just to break even. You really have to be selective, or have drinks at every meal, to make that work as an adult, and a pre-teen or teenage girl will never touch it. We go wherever we want and order whatever we want and, with very rare exception, end up spending 1/2 to 2/3 of what a dining plan would have cost us!

Last edited by Mickeyfan0805; 03-08-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Mickeyfan0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicAllAroundUs View Post
Last year, it worked for us because it being the first year my daughter had to actually pay for the character buffets, I realized that with as much as we spent dining at those buffets it was a great savings primarily on the kids portion alone. (Even better than Tables in Wonderland if I calculated correctly.) In addition, my husband ended up surprising us and joining us for a portion of the trip and since he was only going to be there for 1/3 of our stay, we added him as a day guest each day and we were able to share our dining plan for TS meals. Often times, a three course meal (Deluxe Dining Plan) was way too much food for me alone, so sharing worked perfectly. It also helps if you are booking two rooms to have just one room sign up for the Deluxe Dining Plan and share it. I've asked MULTIPLE CMs and they really don't frown upon sharing the dining plan with guests who aren't staying with you.

We were also able to use our snack credits to buy a lot of souvenir gifts (Pandora egg rice krispie treats, etc) for our friends back home. I also made a list of all the savory snacks that are good to order in between meals throughout the parks.

We always plan out every meal 6 months before as we make our dining reservations, looking at each menu and calculating whether the DDP is a better value over Tables in Wonderland. When you can share the Deluxe Dining Plan with someone else not on the reservation, it's wonderful.

We weren't planning on getting it again because we realized for the longer trips and with my daughter being a little less picky, we really didn't need to be doing character buffets as much as twice a day like we were last year, but with the addition of alcohol...... it's kind of worth it.
I can't be sure what I will want to eat any given day.....we prefer to go without a dining plan. I understand there is some value, and that's great. But there are too many days when I don't feel like a dinner and I don't want to eat just because I bought the plan. We have stumbled on a lot of fun spots because we went out looking for just something small.