home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Default Date-specific tickets coming...

Last month I went to Shanghai Disney, where all tickets are date-specific. So if you wanted to buy a 2-day-pass, for example, you had to choose the date you would first arrive. Your ticket would then ONLY be available for that day and the day after - no exceptions.

The prices varied depending on the days chosen. So for example, if you started on a Saturday, it was most expensive as both Saturday and Sunday cost the most. If you started on a Sunday, it was a bit cheaper as you only paid the premium for one day, while the Monday was cheaper.

There wasn’t an option to, for example, choose Monday and Wednesday. They had to be consecutive days.

Why does this matter? I believe something similar is in the works for WDW and Disneyland. After the price increase they mentioned more changes coming. The quote towards the end of this article makes me believe the Shanghai method of ticketing was being tested there with the aim to bring it here.

The quote:
“Given the small percentage of guests that purchase a 1-day ticket at Walt Disney World, extending pre-published, date-specific pricing to multi-day tickets will further advance our efforts spread to attendance throughout the year," said Andrea Finger, spokeswoman for Walt Disney World.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/disn...rnia-1.3798673

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I could see this happening, and Disney could discount tickets purchased in advance for specific days. Don't most travelers know pretty far in advance when they will be going to WDW & DL (except people who live local or fairly local)? Disney pushes the planning aspect now to their guests. The benefit to Disney is planning based on tickets purchased.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Interesting, also a way to somewhat limit the number of guests in a day and help plan staffing.

Whether I hate it or not completely depends on the policy for if my trip gets cancelled.

I was reading again; not being able to have a gap in your itinerary is horrible!
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
I was reading again; not being able to have a gap in your itinerary is horrible!

Basically this will mean you have to buy a 2 day ticket then a 3 day ticket if you want to have that gap. That's more expensive than a 5 day ticket. Will make AP more attractive, especially for those who don't like to plan as much.

Hurts flexibility a lot ... what if you're sick one day and want to adjust your plans to go on that gap day instead? Too bad, got to buy another ticket.

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post

Hurts flexibility a lot ... what if you're sick one day and want to adjust your plans to go on that gap day instead? Too bad, got to buy another ticket.
That is what happened to us - my husband was sick on the second day, so he stayed back at our Airbnb while I went back to Disney with the kids. We didn’t want to risk all of us having to get another ticket, so that was it - he missed out on the second day he had paid for rather than us waiting a couple of days to see if he could go later that week.

Given WDW is so huge (Shanghai is a two-day park at most) maybe they will have slightly different rules to allow some flexibility for the longer multi-day passes. Here’s hoping anyways!

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

They do this at Universal Orlando for the 1-day tickets, and I can see the pros and cons. Personally, as a traveller, I find it harder to have specific days chosen ahead of time for the usual reasons (weather, how I'm feeling, family members who want to skip a day in between). So I will always pay more for the flexible ticket. For those who have set plans, this is a way to potentially save.

As for Disney, I'm not sure how much it helps with staffing. I have been there during traditionally low times when the parks were overwhelmed, and I have been there during traditionally crowded times (Xmas/New Years, specifically) and the parks are just as overwhelmed. And the same kiosks and booths are NOT open during both times of year. I'm not seeing staffing differ all that much between peak and non-peak seasons.

May 2018 SSR (CoDK training)
June 2018 VGF
July 2018 SSR/Dream
Oct 2018 BWV
Feb 2019 BLT&VGF
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
GrnMtnMan
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
Basically this will mean you have to buy a 2 day ticket then a 3 day ticket if you want to have that gap.
I agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post
Given WDW is so huge (Shanghai is a two-day park at most) maybe they will have slightly different rules to allow some flexibility for the longer multi-day passes. Here’s hoping anyways!
Disney's current ticketing scheme (in FL) is priced so that it makes it a very expensive proposition to leave the WDW parks and go to the competition. For example, going from a 5 day ticket to a six day one is less than $100 total for a family of 4. It'd cost you nearly $500 for a day at Universal. So if they make you buy non-discounted additional days, it makes the decision to go to Sea World or Universal much easier. So I don't see this scheme changing - probably they'll just add more days to peak season and you have to buy the highest season category ticket to get in for all days of your trip.
Dolphin 10/04, 8/16, 8/18
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14
BCV 8/15
PVB 8/16, 10/17, 8/18

DL - GCH 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
DCL - Dream - 8/17, 1/19

Universal Orlando - HRH - 4/04, 12/05, 8/09, 8/11, 8/13, 10/15, 8/17
Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15, 4/16, 4/17, 3/18, 4/19
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
Interesting, also a way to somewhat limit the number of guests in a day and help plan staffing.

Whether I hate it or not completely depends on the policy for if my trip gets cancelled.

I wonder how they'll deal with the locals who just show up... there's no advance planning to staff-up for those who buy a last-minute ticket at the gate.

and MNSSHP!

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
MMC1
Grand Villa

Or we could all stay home.

Maybe Disney is throwing everything out there cause they are testing the planning for Star Wars and just how far they can "accommodate" crowds according to guest survey requests. We asked for this Remember?

This is a rough February. I keep thinking it is April Fools Day.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

just when you think disney has wrung out every cent on all dimensions (e.g., tickets, dvc, hotels, extras), they find yet more ways to raise prices and/or reduce services/the experience. guess i'm glad to have those park hoppers in my account, even though i have no trips planned for personal/health reasons.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is online now   Reply With Quote