home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Default 25 Happy Ears....a sans-kids TR (Completed)

Hi everyone!

This will be trip report #2 for me in the past few weeks. Our family of 4 - plus a few - were at WDW for our 2nd NYE in a row and then 3 weeks later, DH and I went back for an adult only trip. We linked this trip up with our 25th Anniversary, which is later this year in June, but we knew we weren't going to be able to get away during the summer, nor did we want to go to Florida during the summer. SO, this report will highlight our adult only trip.

When: Sunday, Jan 21 - Wednesday, Jan 24

Where: Our first stay at VGF!! We just purchased at VGF last year (the purchase was finalized in May 2017) and we (really, I...) have been chomping at the bit to stay there for the first time.

Who: Myself (48) and DH (50)

To start with, our kids are older (19 and 17) and at this point, pretty much any chance we get to travel with them we do. We realize that our days are limited with them, so we capitalize on the opportunity we do have left. That is likely more me talking than DH...but that's ok. DH goes along with it. So, needless to say, DH and I don't get away very often on our own. We had some VGF points that came with this new contract that were begging to be used, so I found some availability - and round trip airfare for $140/person - and hopped on it!! Originally, this was to be 1 night at BWV (we have never stayed there either!) and 2 nights in a standard view room at VGF. Well, I kept looking for availability at VGF for that 3rd night...and eventually found it in October! We now had all 3 nights at VGF in a standard view studio!!!

We flew Spirit out of DTW on Sunday at 9:15am. We had landed at MCO early, sometime around 11:35ish (scheduled landing was just after noon). We made our way to ME and were surprised to find decently long lines...nothing like we had seen during our NYE trip. For that trip, we just walked up to the CM at the ME booths!! Anyway, after a 10 or so minute wait, we were in line for ME to Grand Floridian. We didn't think we would make it onto the first bus that arrived, but we did...

We were the last stop for this ME, stopping at VWL and PVB first, we arrived at VGF around 1:00p. We checked in (despite doing on-line check in) and found that our room wasn't yet ready. They saw the notation that it was our 25th anniversary and gave us these:

I had also made these. Going with the 'silver anniversary' theme, I got gray bands and ordered the '25' and mickey/minnie head stickers off of Etsy. I also ordered "Mr." and "Mrs." stickers, but they were too big to fit onto the bands. The stickers on my band are black glitter, DHs band is just matte. I did like how they turned out!!

Since the room wasn't ready, we decided to change from Michigan clothes to Florida clothes ..... life is better in flip-flops, right? (FMER55...I know you do not believe in this, nor does DH....) We checked our carry-ons with bell services and took off to DS for some leisurely shopping and an early dinner at Morimoto Asia.

It was a fantastic day in the upper-70s. Very different from our NYE trip where mid 50s was the norm. We were loving the sun and warmth!!

We were thirsty and have a Coke Zero Sugar addiction, so we b-lined for the Coca-Cola rooftop bar where we just sat and chatted in the sun while sipping our Coke Freestyles. It was weird not to have a big, planned out agenda and just be able to sit. I have to say.....I liked it!!

Lunch was at Morimoto Asia. We decided to continue enjoying the weather and asked to be seated outside. We had the pork egg rolls as an appetizer to start with....they were de-lish!!! DH had the Mongolian Filet Mignon and I had the Orange Chicken (pictured below). Now, while they were both very good...we both agree the Filet wasn't worth the cost on the menu ($48). I had also asked for fried rice with my meal and they upcharged me $11 for what I thought was glorified white rice. Not much added in to make it 'fried'.... Still, a good meal, we likely won't be going back unless it's just for appetizers...we did love those egg rolls!

We shopped around DS for a long while (I did get a Dooney-sized GC for Christmas from DH to spend on our 2 trips), grabbed a cookie from Ghirardelli, watched the Philly/Minnesota game at the outdoor bar at Splitsville and then headed back to VGF around 10:30p. We had gotten our room-ready text while eating dinner at Morimoto.

We picked up our carry-on bags from bell services and saw this fantastic view in the lobby!

Then we went to our room (Room #1511) and I realized we were lucky enough to get all room requests filled!! I had requested upper floor, monorail view.

A few studio pics:

And the view from our room taken the next morning :

Next up.....day 2: Hollywood Studios

ME DH DS19 DD16

Last edited by disneymomof2; 02-07-2018 at 12:14 AM.
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Happy Anniversary!!!

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VGC, VWL, SSR & OKW
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
JudieHopps
One Bedroom

On board!
Great job on the magic bands!

Happy celebration year of 25!
JudieHopps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Hey, we were at Disney the same time as you, celebrating our 30th! Wasn't the weather just awesome!!! Enjoying your trip report.
WDWGoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
Happy Anniversary!!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
On board!
Great job on the magic bands!

Happy celebration year of 25!
Thank you! I did this for our family trip over NYE too. Guys had matte Mickeys on their bands, girls had glitter Minnie’s with bows to match their significant others band color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Hey, we were at Disney the same time as you, celebrating our 30th! Wasn't the weather just awesome!!! Enjoying your trip report.
That’s crazy! Happy anniversary to you too!! I’m sure i’ve Asked this before, but don’t recall...where are you from in Michigan?

ME DH DS19 DD16
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD11DD8
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
BugsDad
Grand Villa

Great TR so far! Thanks for sharing.

BugsDad is offline   Reply With Quote