home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Default Planning An Alaskan Cruise - Non Disney

I would love to hear from past cruisers about taking an Alaskan cruise, but not on a Disney ship. We want to see Glacier Bay, so Disney is not a choice. I think Norweigan Pearl sales into Glacier Bay as well as Celebrity. Ruling out Holland America (clientele too old) and still not sold on Princess yet.

Are there any other cruiselines that sale into Glacier Bay? We want to go in May 2019. Is it better to book a year out or are prices better towards the end of the year? I know booking other cruises are a little different than booking a Disney cruise.

Any advice welcome!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

We're doing a small boat (~40 people) cruise with Alaskan Dream Cruises this summer and it goes into Glacier Bay. We'll be happy to tell you about it when we get back but I am sure you'll want to be booked by then.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
ssconner
Studio

I'd like to tag along to this thread too When our APs expire, we need a vacation from Disney, and an Alaska cruise would be perfect. Have never cruised Norwegian or Celebrity before so any pros/cons for those lines would be awesome. Thanks!
ssconner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
cabcah
One Bedroom

I'm sailing the Norwegian Jewel out of Tokyo to Seattle for 21 days this May. It sails into Glacier Bay. I will report back end on May.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
D C
Add-on Aficionado

The only advice I've received was that some lines sail smaller ships that can get into places that larger ships can't. No idea how big is too big, so I'll follow along, too
Old 01-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

DW and I did the Norwegian Star in '06 as nursing school graduation gift to each other. We did Glacier Bay and we really enjoyed it a lot. We went in August and let me tell you, wife had to buy a jacket and we both bought a set of hats and gloves. I was downright cold, we never figured it would be that could in 1st week of August.
But we always said we would do it again. They only thing I did not like was the anytime dining. I would have preferred a table to talk to other people. We would sit at a table by ourselves and didn't have much more to talk about after awhile because we did everything together.

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

We did the Glacier Bay cruise on the Norwegian Pearl 5 years ago I believe and I'd do it again. We've only done 2 cruises, both with Norwegian and that's pretty much all our family has ever sailed with too but we enjoyed it. Accommodations were fine - did get a balcony for that and was glad we did although we also spent a lot of time on deck too. It was nice to get up and check on the scenery as we were getting ready. On the day we were in the bay we were the first ship in. Behind us was a Celebrity I believe and behind that Holland America waiting until we had done our swings around.

I'd be happy to try and answer any specific questions.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
bigmac0712
One Bedroom

We did this cruise on Holland America 11 years ago, and I'm sure things will have changed since then, but we did not enjoy the HAL experience. We are a youngish family, their kids' programs were mediocre (not very many kids on this cruise despite it being summer), and perhaps being part the HAL brand as well as the destination, the average age on the boat was mid60s. The ship was tired and the crew not engaging. This was not what we'd expected having cruised before on Disney, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival (so we understand adjusting expectations based on lines and ship age, price, etc). I realize some people may love HAL and have experiences that make it the perfect line for them. This was our only experience and we decided it just wasn't for us again.
bigmac0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Patricksp
One Bedroom

We have done Princess and it's been rated as the best on Alaskan cruises.
piece of advice get a Balcony for the Glacier views, I know Princess does have a cruises for 2 of the Glacier bays.
Patricksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Glacier Bay is a must see for me, which is why I prefer not to use DCL for Alaska.

My preferred choices are Princess, Celebrity and Norwegian.

Princess because they do Alaska best. The most ships and itineraries, the two Princess Lodges in Danali, the best excursion programs.

Celebrity for the best food, and pretty good selection of ships and itineraries.

NCL if staying in a suite or Haven only, or if budget is tighter then the ebove cruise lines.