home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
wleejames
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default What's the preffered way to make a room request?

I've booked my first stay on DVC points and wondering what everyone prefers for room requests? Member services? Faxing?
wleejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

I email MS and skip the request section if I use online check-in. The choices for online don't really apply to DVC and there is no way to be specific. MS can add notes to clarify what you really would like to have.

Unless your trip is within the next 2 weeks, I advise emailing. You can do that at your leisure and you get a written response back. Sometimes, that takes a few days to arrive, though. But for me, it's better than waiting on hold for something that isn't usually urgent.

How I made the request doesn't seem to have any effect on getting it. Online vs MS has been about the same for me.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

I've always had good luck with faxing through Touring Plans.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
D&MourDVC
Studio

I always call member service to put on a room request. Sometimes you get what you want and other times you get the total opposite.
D&MourDVC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

On our last trip we stayed in 3 resorts: BWV, BRV, AKV

At BWV I called about 10 days in advance, and they told me it was too early, I had to wait a few days before I could make a request. I attempted to call directly to the hotel, but I just got a call center. I called back when they said (7 days? 5 days?) and made my request. We didn't get the room we wanted, but the one we got was fine.

At BRV I called the number of days in advance that they had told me before, and we got exactly what we asked for.

At AKV we used the touring plans fax, and got the room we wanted.

Last year at POR we called a week or so before, and got the room we wanted.

I think it's hit or miss getting exactly what you want, but I'm not sure the method of requesting makes a huge difference.

cpnkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
bakerworld
Grand Villa

I usually use the selections on online check-in because my needs are simple - I don't like to be on the ground floor and prefer being close to an elevator. I've emailed for a building selection twice for rooms I've reserved for the 'kids' which has worked. The few times I've requested locations personally at check-in have been my worst placement or inability to fulfill.

The only rooms I haven't cared for are places we've stopped staying or we'll stay one night - BC and BW.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
Two Bedroom

DVC has told members not to bother with faxing because they just toss them. You can email MS via the website and enter your requests. That's what I usually do and I usually get them. But they are very general, nothing specific like a certain room.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
BugsDad
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyteach View Post
I've always had good luck with faxing through Touring Plans.
We recently started doing this as well.

BugsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #9
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

I call in to MS and then leave whatever shows up as a request when I do online check in, since it won't always match what MS has put in. For all 11 of my 2017 reservations, I was granted the request
2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
DisneyPhD
One Bedroom

I've always made requests through MS putting notes on the reservation. Of our last few trips we've had mixed results. I usually make requests 'near room xxxx" over a couple of floors.

BWV we got a text with the room number and it wasn't any where near where I requested. Just for kicks, I went to the front desk before heading to the assigned room and the CM didn't see any requests other than pool or garden view. He called the room assigner and found one near the area I had requested and we were set.

BCV got exactly what we requested although that was a dedicated 2 BR during the construction when big chunks of the resort were being renovated so we may have just gotten lucky too.

BLT was similar to what happened at BWV, CM at front desk found nothing noted on the reservation. I didn't make any requests when using the online check in because I'd heard that might wipe out any other requests. This was a split stay (part studio part 1BR) over NYE so I know availability was tight. The CM at the desk was able to get us the room we requested for the studio but not the 1BR.