home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Grand Villa
Default Advice on getting trading pins starter set?

My ds9 wanted to get pins to trade on our recent vacation, but looking at the price in the parks, I decided to put it off. I have a hard time buying cute ones just to trade them . So, any advice on buying a starter set that we won't get too attached to and can trade. Really, the main purpose will be to trade and interact with people.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Buy some pins off of ebay, or go to the Wally world (wallmart) or other off site gift shops the pins are more reasonably priced there.
pooh bears mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Buzz Lightyear Towers
Two Bedroom

The Character Warehouse Outlet store often has good deals on pins and pin sets.

AKV, BLT, BWV, and PVB are my home resorts. :
Buzz Lightyear Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Grand Villa

We bought a bag of 50 of them for my family of 5 on e-bay. I think they were less than 50 cents each.
a1000monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

Iíve gotten them on Amazon for less than $1 each.

And, yes, I know they are probably knock-offs. The cast members trade them, so close enough for me.
andy773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #6
Grand Villa
Smile Pins

Take pins with you as carry on (not checked) if flying.

We had our stolen out of luggage, and they are expensive.

Just a suggestion based on our experience
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Just like most people have already said get them from eBay or Amazon before your trip. In case you forget them there are also sellers on craigslist that will deliver bags to you at your resort for around $1 per pin or so. If you have a problem morally doing that because they are likely fakes than your best bet is probably going to be the parks and I would just find the packs that are cheapest per pin.

I personally will buy the cheap stuff on eBay for trading and then purchase something I like and want to keep when I get to the parks. Usually something to commemorate what the family did on our trip, like one from the resort we stayed at or an event we attended.
Chris71855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
DVC Board Guide

I get all of our traders from ebay.
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I hear you, we simply cannot buy pins to trade! Those we do buy... get the locks on them ASAP!

We get ours from ebay, from a seller with a high rating AND she guarantees they are Official Disney pins and she will not send duplicates in her lot [we buy either lots of 25 or 50]. Depending on lot size, they range from .45 to .53 cents each.

Why so many you ask? Because they invariably fall in love with over half of the delivery and then won't trade them! HA!

Also another tip: We got an incredibly hard to find Moana lanyard from Hot Topic, surprisingly, on clearance and minimal shipping. It, too, was a Disney official. It had a darling plastic danger/charm as well as a plastic card holder and it came out cheaper than the same items [different characters] on Disney property!

Good luck! Pin trading is fun for the little ones, especially our shy ones, so we love getting the official pins from ebay.

DVCJanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
We bought a bag of 50 of them for my family of 5 on e-bay. I think they were less than 50 cents each.
I was considering doing that, but then someone told me not to. Glad to hear that someone had a positive experience. In my case, I had about 50 pins for trade, but somehow, they got lost.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote