home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Default Notice An Increase In Advanced Rental Requests

Part of the problem with renting is explaining to your renter the need to book early, preferably in the 11 month booking timeframe, and most certainly during high demand dates. Maybe it’s just me but I’m starting to see requests ahead of the booking timeframes. Has this been gradually happening or am I just noticing this for the first time?

If this is a new trend, what does this mean for the 7 month booking timeframe? And of even more concern, the 11-8 month home resort reservations?

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

seems to be the case this year for november/december reservations. otoh, there seems to be tons of "last minute" requests, a few weeks or months out when there is virtually no availability anywhere.

multimodal distribution? the clueless and the informed?

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Honestly the rental business is starting to bug me. I know people will claim those points will be used elsewhere anyway, but the number of people lining up for 11 month bookings is seemingly high. I see it on other forums/groups where people are seeking out before the 11 month mark a lot now. Kind of like with walking I do wish they could find a way to limit this more. I like the ability to book for my family (never without me though) but I think some things have gotten out of hand and are affecting booking for owners.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Honestly the rental business is starting to bug me. I know people will claim those points will be used elsewhere anyway, but the number of people lining up for 11 month bookings is seemingly high. I see it on other forums/groups where people are seeking out before the 11 month mark a lot now. Kind of like with walking I do wish they could find a way to limit this more. I like the ability to book for my family (never without me though) but I think some things have gotten out of hand and are affecting booking for owners.
i won't get into this debate other to say owners are owners and can they do whatever they want with their points.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Advance planning is always good. DVC is not the only place where people are booking in advance. I missed this yrs spring break reservation even after advance planning. Owner was not able to secure the reservation when window opened.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
ajc
Grand Villa

the down side of a good economy...vacations and disposable income.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
i won't get into this debate other to say owners are owners and can they do whatever they want with their points.
They most certainly can. Doesn't mean all of us have to like it. I've even rented to family and friends so I like the option... sometimes.

edit: Not here to debate it though, just to reflect on the increase truly. Not judging others either really. Just talking

Last edited by helenabear; 01-12-2018 at 10:13 AM.
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

I'm not a big fan of renting, either, but I'm OK with it because owners who rent can't book any sooner than I can.

I don't doubt there are increasing requests for 11 month reservations from renters, but I wonder how many owners who rent are booking as soon as the window opens at 8 am. I very much doubt the brokers are finding many owners willing to do that and they are the ones responsible for most of the renting. I know the brokers are having trouble just getting points for some resorts that can book in the priority period. Anyway, I don't think renters are the reason some rooms are disappearing within nanoseconds of the window opening. I think those are almost always going to member who want the rooms for their own stays.

I think the main problem with 11 month booking in the fall is the result of all the people who have small contracts. They can only get a decent length stay if they get the less expensive unit and they want to go when we all want to go, too.

IMO, if DVC stopped the walking, it would help a lot. To stop it, DVC could make every reservation a cancel and rebook, but first they would have to make the waitlist matching program real time instead of batch. There would have to be a real of losing the reservation for cancel and rebook to be effective.

An easier and less expensive alternative, would be for them to just refuse to allow modifications for the first few weeks of the 11 month window. Yes, that would favor the owners with a large number of points, but I don't think those are the people who are doing most of the walking.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
I'm not a big fan of renting, either, but I'm OK with it because owners who rent can't book any sooner than I can.

I don't doubt there are increasing requests for 11 month reservations from renters, but I wonder how many owners who rent are booking as soon as the window opens at 8 am. I very much doubt the brokers are finding many owners willing to do that and they are the ones responsible for most of the renting. I know the brokers are having trouble just getting points for some resorts that can book in the priority period. Anyway, I don't think renters are the reason some rooms are disappearing within nanoseconds of the window opening. I think those are almost always going to member who want the rooms for their own stays.

I think the main problem with 11 month booking in the fall is the result of all the people who have small contracts. They can only get a decent length stay if they get the less expensive unit and they want to go when we all want to go, too.

IMO, if DVC stopped the walking, it would help a lot. To stop it, DVC could make every reservation a cancel and rebook, but first they would have to make the waitlist matching program real time instead of batch. There would have to be a real of losing the reservation for cancel and rebook to be effective.

An easier and less expensive alternative, would be for them to just refuse to allow modifications for the first few weeks of the 11 month window. Yes, that would favor the owners with a large number of points, but I don't think those are the people who are doing most of the walking.
I agree with a lot of what you say here Carol. I do think that at the inflated prices is making it harder for people to own a large amount of points and that leaves smaller point owners left to compete for a small amount of rooms. I also think that renting DVC is no longer a complete unknown "secret" - to quote DVC "the secret is out!" Renters are also more educated (thanks to the internet) and are learning that if you want to rent points it is best to plan, so I think you might have more planners in general looking for those lower point rooms. For example VGF studio SV rooms are sold out in early December at the 8:00 mark, but 1 bdrm SV rooms at the VGF are still available in early December. Clearly it's the least expensive studio rooms that people are competing for (but we already know that).

As for how to stop walking I don't know that answer to that. To put a policy in place that makes everyone cancel and rebook rooms they are currently holding would be a nightmare IMO and not very fair to people making legitimate changes to their plans or wishing to travel longer than 7 days. My sense on the wait list is it is no longer wait list darts. I find that I've had very good lucks with my wait list requests especially in the last year. So, I think the wait list is working the way DVC says it is suppose to work - taking a room out of inventory when it matches a request. The internet is its own worst enemy for sharing little known facts, and ultimately causing things to have to come to an end/change (Target Gift Cards for example). The walking conversation has been covered quite a bit and I'd equate it to the service dog conversation

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 01-12-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

renting and walking do not go hand-in-hand. i rent a large number of points (booking most times at 8:00am the first day), seldom walk, none of my 2018 reservations have been booked walking. frankly, it's way too much hassle for owners renting spec reservations.