home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
Grand Villa
Default Sue's 2018 Family Hilton Head (DVC) Trip

Who: Sue (59), DVC Member
SB (60), my husband
Chris (31), son
Amanda (29), daughter-in-law
Ari (18 months), grandson
Cristina (31), stepdaughter
Quentin (3?), son-in-law
Ethan (20 months), grandson
Dates: January 11 - 15, 2018
Resort: Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort (Grand Villa)
Experience: Very Experienced – 20th stay (1st for Cristina, Quentin & grandsons, 2nd for Amanda)

Back in 1997 as a single parent I booked a trip to Hilton Head for Chris and me over the Christmas school break, expecting to not be very impressed. I loved it so much I bought dvc points immediately, and we made this an annual trip for the rest of his childhood. I continued without him once he grew up, moving to a warmer weather time of year to enjoy the fabulous beach (while avoiding the hot, humid summers). SB & I made a trip here in January of 2013 with Chris & Amanda, and Amanda fell in love with the place – and the Serg restaurants! More time passed, and when Chris & Amanda were married in 2015 SB’s daughter Cristina and her fiancé Quentin attended the wedding – the first meeting of our “kids” (although they’d met Cristina and a former boyfriend once a while before). Both couples ended up married in 2015 and both couples welcomed a son in 2016 (Ethan James in May, then Ari James in July). They’ve not seen each other since Chris & Amanda’s wedding, and obviously the boys have never met. About a year or so ago SB & I decided to see if they were interested in doing a “whole family” long weekend in Hilton Head, and everyone was excited to say yes.

I love the grand villas at Hilton Head, particularly for the fireplace. I booked one for us, knowing the 2 bedrooms upstairs would go to the 2 kids & their families, while we’d of course take the master downstairs. I invited my dad to join us, and booked a studio for him, since I don’t “do” living room sleepers or cramming people in to maximum occupancy. Sadly, his volunteer work this time of year made it too hard for him to get away. A few days before the trip I got a voice mail from the resort, advising that due to unexpected maintenance, the fireplaces would not be operational during my stay. This sucks, but it’s not like we can cancel & rebook!

My attendance on the trip was actually at risk until a couple days ago. During my last HAL cruise (late November) I came home with a most unwanted “souvenir” – a diagnosis of invasive breast cancer. Fast forward past several medical appointments, and surgery (mastectomy & immediate reconstruction) was scheduled for 1/15/18 – so SB & I would leave the night before checkout in order to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. for my surgeries. Prior to that, in late December, I had a sentinel node biopsy & surgery to remove the sentinel lymph node. That went well, but complications arose afterwards, which resulted in a horrible rash, swelling of my entire arm & hand, and caused several more medical appointments as they tried to figure out what the heck was going on. Bottom line, surgery on 1/15 had to be canceled, as my body was in no condition for that. The one silver lining in the delay is SB & I don’t have to leave a day early now. The negative is the rash/swelling issues and the discomfort/disfiguration/limitations that may cause. But, this is a family trip and I would have to be dead or in a coma to miss it! Hopefully I’ll be good for surgery before too long, so I can still make the early March HAL cruise!

Chris & Amanda travel with Ari all the time, so he’s a trooper. He’s been to WDW for more trips than most non-dvc adults out there! Cristina and Quentin really haven’t traveled with Ethan at all – they go away as a couple, but haven’t taken him on trips. From what we hear, he must be a handful, as they wouldn’t consider driving or flying with him, lol! So, they booked a sleeper car on the train and will be traveling down and back overnight on a train, then picking up a rental car in Savannah to drive to the resort. As a result, they won’t get in until Friday morning and they’ll have to leave by Sunday night (Quentin has to work Monday).

The weather looks lousy at this point – rain all day/night Friday, then it turns cold. In January that’s a very real possibility so we can’t really complain. Chris, Amanda, Ari & I will be back over Memorial Day, when it will definitely be beach weather! We will enjoy eating out, spending time with each other, and doing whatever outdoor activities we can. DVC friends Barbara and Roy will be there during some part of the trip, so it’ll be great to see them at some point.

The plans so far are:
Thursday 1/11: Drive to Hilton Head, Poseidon?
Friday 1/12: Whatever, Eat Out
Saturday 1/13: Whatever, Eat Out
Sunday 1/14: Whatever, Eat Out
Monday 1/15: Hilton Head Diner breakfast, Drive to Gainesville

wdw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
Add-on Aficionado

So sorry to hear about the need for additional surgery. Best wishes for a sucessful surgery and a complete and speedy recovery.

In the meantime, enjoy your trip!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #3
Add-on Aficionado

I am sorry to hear about the need for surgery. I know you will win the battle with it and be good to go for the March Cruise .

Lots of prayers

Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #4
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Best wishes to you, my prayers are with you.
PolyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
Grand Villa

I was just wondering, waiting for one of your TR’s.i Romberg you had a January trip planned, did not realize it was at HH. Looking forward to you perspective and TR, very heartfelt about your first adventures at HH when he was young.

On a another note. Sorry to hear about your complications. Thinking about you and what you have been through. My sil had stage 4 a double mastectomy and reconstructive. She said the reconstructive was more painful than the mastectomy. Btw, a decade later, she has a clean bill of health!
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
Add-on Aficionado

Always love to read your TRs Sue. Thank you again for taking the time to write on up about HHI. I love, love, love HH too. I hope you have a great time with your family. So sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis Wishing you and your family strength and prayers.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #7
Grand Villa

Hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family. Wishes for a smooth and quick recovery as well.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:52 AM   #8
One Bedroom

So sorry to hear of your diagnoses.
Truly a life changing moment when you hear that word cancer.
Your trip hopefully will be a needed diversion from your biopsy complications and your discomfort not too bad.
Family is wonderful medicine!
Looking forward to your TR.
Too bad the fireplace is unavailable this time, but the villa sounds amazing!
Safe travel to all!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
Two Bedroom

So sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. I hope they can get the rash figured out soon so that you can get your surgery. Enjoy your trip and your time with your family! Sorry the weather looks lousy and the fireplace isn't working
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #10

So glad you are in your happy place, with family you cherish. I know how well the beauty of Hilton Head can bring a calming peace to the soul.
Sorry to hear about the fireplace during the cold snap, and hey, at least it's warmer than our trip to WDW last week!

Best wishes for a fabulous trip and looking forward to reading more.

Last edited by beachclubmum; 01-12-2018 at 10:07 AM.
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote