home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
iheartglaciers
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Double points with direct purchases

I'm planning on adding 25-50 points direct after my resale closes (Oct UY). I've read that if you buy right before your UY starts, you'll get double points. How close do you have to be?

For instance, if I bought now for a Oct UY, I would get 2017 points only? But if I buy in September 2018, I would get 2017 and 2018 points?

Basically I'm wondering if I should wait to add on, since I don't need the points right away.

Thanks!
iheartglaciers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
DeniseKayC
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartglaciers View Post
I'm planning on adding 25-50 points direct after my resale closes (Oct UY). I've read that if you buy right before your UY starts, you'll get double points. How close do you have to be?

For instance, if I bought now for a Oct UY, I would get 2017 points only? But if I buy in September 2018, I would get 2017 and 2018 points?

Basically I'm wondering if I should wait to add on, since I don't need the points right away.

Thanks!
I think...and I could be wrong..that the only difference between buying them now vs buying them later would be prorated maintenance fees.

In both of the above cases you will eventually get and be able to use 2017 AND 2018 points. In the first scenario you would just have access to those 2017 points sooner. However, I believe if you wait to purchase, you would only pay prorated maintenance fees on those 2017 points, so you would save money there.

They also let you bank the 2017 points in both scenarios, even though by purchasing them right before your 2018 use year starts you are past the deadline.
DeniseKayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
iheartglaciers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseKayC View Post
I think...and I could be wrong..that the only difference between buying them now vs buying them later would be prorated maintenance fees.

In both of the above cases you will eventually get and be able to use 2017 AND 2018 points. In the first scenario you would just have access to those 2017 points sooner. However, I believe if you wait to purchase, you would only pay prorated maintenance fees on those 2017 points, so you would save money there.
Ok that makes sense. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Thanks!
We just added on points in October and got our past years FEB use year points.....so I dont think this is true at all. We have always gotten the previous years points no matter what time of year we added on.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
We just added on points in October and got our past years FEB use year points.....so I dont think this is true at all. We have always gotten the previous years points no matter what time of year we added on.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
iheartglaciers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
So you added on in October for a Feb UY and got both 2016 and 2017 points? Which points did you pay MF on?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
So you added on in October for a Feb UY and got both 2016 and 2017 points? Which points did you pay MF on?
You only pay on current UY.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
Old 12-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
Mj2v
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
Prorated for the current year. Dues are calendar year for all members, no matter when your use Year is.

I feel you get back dated points, you only pay dues going forward.

You can add on in September for an October UY, as long as they have the points available for your UY. They will waive the banking window.
Mj2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Grandma Minnie
Studio

Default Disagree

I disagree that you get double points. First hand experience...on Nov. 28th we bought a second June UY PVB contract. We got June 2017 points only and, of course, 2018 coming next June.
Grandma Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote