home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Joel0917
Two Bedroom

Default Dog in Epcot??

I don't get it. A guy had a dog
In a stroller
With a fan blowing in the dog
How is this a service dog???

It's in a stroller....being pushed!!!!

What service is it providing?

How is this allowed?

We are talking a small dog.

Just bothers me that a dog that serves absolutely no purpose in service is allowed into the park.
Stayed: SSR, AKV,AKL, THV, All star music, Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR.
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
2016 - SSR/AKV and BLT
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 4x
UPcoming:
F&W DCR
Dec NYE again: BLT!
July 18 - Disney Magic Barcelona
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Nickys
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel0917 View Post
I don't get it. A guy had a dog
In a stroller
With a fan blowing in the dog
How is this a service dog???

It's in a stroller....being pushed!!!!

What service is it providing?

How is this allowed?

We are talking a small dog.

Just bothers me that a dog that serves absolutely no purpose in service is allowed into the park.
As far as I understand it, it's because the ADA laws seemingly prevent Disney from asking to see any licence or paperwork, and have to accept the word of the dog's owner as to the kind of assistance it is providing.

Not wanting to fall foul of the no politics rule, I shall refrain from offering an opinion on the effects of legislation.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
PSULion22
Grand Villa

They are typically claimed as emotional support service animals. People with PTSD or autism or other things that give them anxiety in public, especially around large crowds, have them to help keep them calm. Some of the dogs can be trained to sense things like oncoming seizures or diabetic shock, among other things.

Whether this dog, or any of the others you see, are actually service animals performing those functions, is a different story entirely.
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Disnydad
Two Bedroom

Smile

One evening in Epcot I saw a woman pushing a stroller that had a pug dog in it. The dog was wearing Christmas lights wrapped around it's collar that flashed.

Too many WDW visits to count now that I live nearby part time, 1 DL trip & 5 Disney Cruises.
Disnydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
As far as I understand it, it's because the ADA laws seemingly prevent Disney from asking to see any licence or paperwork, and have to accept the word of the dog's owner as to the kind of assistance it is providing.
I don't know the specifics in this case, but I do know that at venues (in California, at least) it is permissible to ask to see paperwork and ID for Disabled Parking placards to verify that the person associated with the placard is, indeed, in the vehicle. But nothing beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Not wanting to fall foul of the no politics rule, I shall refrain from offering an opinion on the effects of legislation.
Well, it's certainly not a political stance to acknowledge that, while there are legitimate cases, there is a great deal of abuse of the "emotional support animal" gambit everywhere and something has to change.

Cheers.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I'm seeing dogs all over the place. It's really quite annoying already. But its just part of the general trend of increasing impoliteness, discourtesy, and selfishness. As long as they can get away with it, you'll see it more and more.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Peregrination Chronicles
The Fall of Disney
A Tale of Two Views
Back in the S.S.R.
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN
Spring Surprise
NYE in the World

Coming up...

POP! 12/15-12/18/2017 Merry Christmas Baby!
BCV 12/28/17-1/3/18 Happy New Year!
Fantasy 5/21/2018 BLT-Sea-BWV
Dream 9/17/2018 BLT-Sea-BCV

DVC owner The Three B's BCV BWV BLT
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
carolina_yankee
Administrator

We saw dogs in the parks every day. I was surprised at how prevalent they've become. Mostly, the dogs seemed like they were plausibly service or emotional support animals. I think we saw only a couple where I thought "You have got to be frickin' kidding me."

In all instances, the animals were well behaved. I won't vouch for the people they came with, though.

There was one in the queue for FoP. I don't know what they did with is during the ride as it clearly couldn't be in the ride-chamber. Maybe they did a puppy swap.

The dogs never got in my way, so I'm not going to be upset by it, but it is definitely a trend that is apparently going to reach an unmanageable point. I'll pull the popcorn out when that happens.

Dirk
Old 12-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Having traveled with a "real" service dog, I can say that it is not always easy. The animal needs some consideration at times too, with seating, stairs, escalators..etc. if I did not have to take my dog to a busy entertainment venue, he would leave her home!

Actually, when we did travel to Disney, we opted NOT to bring our service dog.
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
bigmac0712
Studio

FWIW, emotional support animals are not service dogs and are not covered by ADA allowances, but are allowed on airplanes due to the Air Carrier Access Act as well as in permanent housing. I know some people absolutely abuse the service animal allowances and I find that repulsive.

While I obviously cannot speak to that particular small dog in a stroller, there are many service animals that fall outside the typical expectation of a big lab or german shepard providing sight assistance. Very small dogs are now being used for diabetes management, epilepsy seizure alerts, and PTSD anxiety (we're talking post-war, severe crippling anxiety). All of these functions can be done by a dog who is being carried or strolled in proximity to its handler and don't require a handler hold a leash to get the benefit of the training. Certain breeds of smaller dogs can also have a much longer life expectancy than larger ones making them ideal for certain service needs.

I have two medium sized dogs, and I wouldn't stroller them, but for a small legit service dog, it might be unable to walk miles everyday at Disney and it being carried or strolled might be out of concern for the animal.

I don't intend for this post to be harsh, I just think sometimes it is helpful to step back and consider all of the possibilities, even if they may or may not be verifiable to someone without legal authority and medical training to judge the "need," instead of jumping to conclusions because it is outside of what someone would typically expect a "real" service animal or situation to look like.
bigmac0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac0712 View Post
I don't intend for this post to be harsh, I just think sometimes it is helpful to step back and consider all of the possibilities, even if they may or may not be verifiable to someone without legal authority and medical training to judge the "need," instead of jumping to conclusions because it is outside of what someone would typically expect a "real" service animal or situation to look like.
You are correct, of course, and that's why this is a tough issue. As well, we all know that there are scammers and these make it more difficult for the legitimate cases.

However, I can't change what goes through my head when I see a case like this. And what crosses my mind is "scammer!" Non-verifiable, and I would certainly not say anything. But that's my first thought in these cases. I'm certainly wrong some of the time and right others.

Cheers.