home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Default Henry and Family Go West.....

The Setup:
The Cast:
Henrycpa (Jamie)
Mrs. Henrycpa (Jodi)
Little Miss Henrycpa (Audrey)

The Places:
Westin Kierland Scottsdale (Henrycpa only for business) (2 nights)
Disney's Grand Califorinian Resort (3 nights)
Disney's Aulani (8 nights)

I will post one main description of trip with comments and thoughts. The rest will be pictures with just comments unless to answer questions.

Some links to my pictures:

For the Luau: Hawaii Slideshow by James Stewart
North Shore: North Shore Slideshow by James Stewart
Pearl Harbor: Pearl Harbor Slideshow by James Stewart
Aulani: Aulani Slideshow by James Stewart

Right Away I will say all photography was either with an iphone 7 or with my Sony alpha A7ii with the 28-70mm lens.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

WESTWARD HO!! TRIP REPORT
Westin Kierland Resort – Scottsdale AZ.
Was here for 2 nights for a Mental Healthcare conference and meeting with some prospective software providers. Well, honestly the meeting was them hosting some of their existing customers and me as a prospective customer to a round of golf and dinner. I took a few pictures but lets just say in the excitement of getting my memory cards prepared for the real part of this trip I appear to have deleted all the photo’s. Sorry.
I will say this. The Westin Kierland is a top notch golf resort and meeting center. Has a very highly rated Spanish restaurant called Deseo with executive chef Chris Masco. Great food. They also are known for their Scotch selection at the Kierland with over 100 different offerings. The Golf was great. Challenging but not punishing. But HYDRATE. I sweated a ton but never had any perspiration on me…
I arrived on Monday evening, grabbed a bite, played golf Tuesday morning, and then attended the Mental Health Incubation Incubator in the afternoon where I was part speaker. Attended the full meeting on Wednesday until 4pm when I caught my ExecUCar to the Phoenix Airport for my 530 flight.
No real issues in security thanks to TSAPre (except they took my golf tool since they thought it could be used as a knife and my cigar cutter. And that leads us to……

Disney California parks and resorts!!
ARRIVAL: Met my Wife and Daughter at LAX and caught our ExecUCar to the Grand Californian. About a 45 minute drive at 830pm. …..

A quick aside here. I have grown to love ExecUCar. The Service is top notch. And they are on time. Tip is already included in price. They assigned us a towncar ( since only 3 of us) but luckily sent a large SUV. We had A LOT of luggage. DW and DD do not pack ligh t.. not when they are away for 12 nights. If you have a lot of bags, make sure to book the SUV, not towncar…

We arrived at Grand Californian about 9:15pm. The Check In Area was partly closed off (Construction) as was the door that allowed you to directly walk to the DVC rooms. We had requested a Paradise Pier view which we got.. kind of.. We could almost see the Ferris Wheel. Loved the room and the hotel however. I thought the uniforms looked the same as those worn in TOT in DHS… Just me maybe. It was late, we were all tired .. and this is the only picture I got of the hotel that evening…do not ask me why….

MY WDW Visits...

Old 11-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

ay 1: Disneyland Park .. for the most part.
We were up early for the Magic Entry Hours. In front of park at 7:50am and they allowed us in at 8:00am sharp. We had the part for one hour with just other guests staying at the Disneyland hotels!
That is a great hour folks. We rode the Submarines, I got on Space Mountain, they rode Pinocchio, and we got to ride Mr. Toads…in the first hour!
I love the Entrance Décor:

Here is looking back at the Disney California Adventure Entrance:

The Train Station and its décor

Man that’s a small castle!!!! I heard Aurora was looking for an attorney if Prince Phillip did not up his game!!!!!!!

We rode the Nautilus 107

That was a first for me. It reminded me of Nemo with real water.

The girls then headed to Fantasyland while I challenged Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy!

MY WDW Visits...

Old 11-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Day 1 Continued:
Some shots as I walked onto Space Mountain

They Searched for Julie Andrews Horse before riding the Carousel

Back side of the Castle from the Carousel…(I had no idea there was an option to go up into this Castle and see the story of Aurora! Very cool!) To my photo aficionados, notice my mistake in this shot. It was an HDR shot that “ghosted” the people. But the colors were so much more vibrant in the HDR shot I decided to use it here anyway!

At this point we decided to grab some breakfast at a place that served traditional and Mexican breakfast. Cannot remember the name but it was by Zocalo Park which had some great décor for Halloween!

MY WDW Visits...

Old 11-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

A look across at Tom Sawyer Island (HDR REALLY helps this kind of shot)

A View of the River Boat as we made our way to the POTC.

My pictures from inside POTC were…terrible. Here a couple from outside and one from inside despite quality….Show them your larder side….(non politically correct still thank god!)

Next will be Haunted Mansion….

MY WDW Visits...

Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Jack Skellington had taken over Haunted Mansion..

Wanted a shot of Splash Mountain…found my dust spot on my sensor at 11:00pm in the sky..ugh…
I actually have several shots of the car as it exits the cave. I actually used this to test the “sports capture” of movement here. I think the camera did a great job on that part of this shot

We loved the décor in New Orleans Square! And of course, we had to Tiki!!!!!!!!!!! That lead us to the Jungle Cruise. Disney does such a great job staging the entrance lines Our Boat! Note how Disney created Dimensional perspective here creating the illusion of distance

MY WDW Visits...

Old 11-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

More Day 1 Continued
Ok, it is time to note something we LOVED ABOUT DISNEYLAND! Pop Up Entertainment. Several time we were entertained by “mini shows” of characters that were from that land. I think it is what Disney tried to create at DHS but in my mind were never successful and other than the singers and some other Main Street people does not happen at Magic Kingdom. Visiting Disneyland made me feel “cheated” that Florida does not do it as well as Disneyland.

Here are some “Cowboy Scoundrels” and “Miss Sherriff” who were great at a simple “pop up street show” We then sat down for a very different version of Beauty and the Beast. Some top class actors here. Very entertaining… How does she change so quickly? She was a very good bell, both in looks, actions, and speaking.
The Beast! A better castle shot…still so tiny! More pop up entertainment And yet more pop up entertainment from a pre parade band. These Guys were AMAZING!!!!!!!!! And the Astro Orbiter is Ground level in Disneyland!

MY WDW Visits...

Old 11-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

And so it was Mickey’s Soundsational parade time! She was a GREAT Ariel! Note the bubbles! That rascally Duck! And then 3 of my favorites. Rapunzel has a special place for me and my daughter. The consistency of Cinderella across parks is amazing. The Mardi Gras outfits were outstanding! Audrey’s fist princess from her very first movie…Tiana! The parade finished with Pan and Hook and Tinkerbell on a float but my shots were too shadowy..
And closing out Disneyland (next will be Disney California Adventure).
Small World was closed (I was so bummed, that is a childhood crossover dream…). They were putting on the Christmas Theme…but I did get this picture:

MY WDW Visits...

Old 11-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Audrey had to Visit Minnie’s house (she remembered doing so in the Magic Kingdom before it was removed for the expansion. I loved this area I must say.
I was disappointed in the broken gopher eye..I reported it to a cast member. Chilling in Mickey’s Living Room Hanging with the Head Mouse! Now just chilling at Minnie’s! Being Beautified is hard work at Minnie’s makeup room! How about some Tea at Minnie’s place! [ Time to catch the train back to the front and call it a day for Disneyland! We would return the next day for Mickey and the Magical Map Stage show.

MY WDW Visits...

Old 11-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

We finished the night of Day 1 at Disney California Adventure. The plan was to do another Magic Morning here tomorrow but we wanted to see what it was like at night since we were eating at the Napa Rose the next evening and we also wanted to better understand World of Color Viewing.
First a couple of thoughts. Wow, a winery and restaurant IN the park! loved it. The Florescent Lighting of Carsland was awesome. The Paradise Pier looked like an old Oceanfront Amusement park and it was great.

We did not ride the the Raidiator Springs racers this night but I got a couple of shots.

Most of my dark shots from the Pier did not turn out but here are a couple anyway

Looking back at the Ariel Ride

And that wraps up our Day 1 at the Disneyland parks.

Tomorrow will be DCA and some more Disneyland for the show. Then World of Color. I do not think I took any pictures at Napa Rose but let me say, it is Top Notch Dining and Service!

MY WDW Visits...