home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 03:45 AM   #1
BoPeepDH
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Good news, great news, and not so good news (rental advice)

We finally closed on our first contract (AKV Sep 300) after a little over a month, which was just in time for DW's birthday (good news). I made a big show of things on her birthday and she was truly excited, but had confessed that great things are starting to materialize for her at work and her side project is finally taking off (great news). Unfortunately, this means she will need to forego vacation over the next 3 years (not so good news). We have always been children at heart, but in this case she is opting to do the adult thing dragging me with her in the process (as it should be).

I'm still optimistic that her projection is spot on and listed my points with David instead of selling the contract. However, when I spoke with them they had indicated that they suddenly have a long list of AKV owners renting points and it might take a while to rent mine out (maybe January).

Any advice: sell, rent points on my own, or just let David work his magic? I have some 2016 points banked into 2017 and all 2017 points banked into 2018.

Thanks.
BoPeepDH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Keep the points, consider going for a few long weekend getaways and or rent them out through davids:-)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
JudieHopps
One Bedroom

Congratulations! You have much exciting times ahead on all counts!
I agree, think about maybe some quick getaways and renting out the rest.
David’s would be a great way to get your feet wet.

Maybe even rent to family first? Good, safe learning curve there too.
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Three years is a *very* long time to go without a vacation. I don't think we could make it that long. No point in selling IMO. Just rent out (on your own if you like) and have hope that you'll get time to go on at least a very quick vacation in the next couple of years at least.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

David's is not the only option. There are a few other brokers if you want to see if they have better news. I know people who have used other brokers. You might do some research on that option?
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
MMC1
Grand Villa

Once I had a combo of 3 years that had to be used or lose and I booked a Disney Cruise . I think Davids will have luck working with your points vs a bunch of smaller contracts. My advice is to hang in there w/Davids.

The info about abundance of "points" from Davids is alarming. Appreciate your honesty in reporting an aspect of renting we do not know about and should be discussed more often.
I suspect the next year will be down but the future will explode when Disney opens Star Wars . Renting will def be positive aspect for DVC because cash rates will be shocking.

Welcome to DVC ....
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

First of all.....There is always down time here and there. I work a lot, always have.....which means I have always needed to be creative with my days off. Holidays are my friend.....I seem to hit every holiday off that work is closed. We go almost every Labor Day, Memorial Day and Chrsitmas/NYE to WDW. On years where July 4th falls on a Mon/Fri I will also get away. And occasionally, I will do Easter weekend and next year, I will be going away over Thanksgiving.

Long weekend trips are also a staple for our traveling.

Since you are only guessing there will not be time to travel, I would hold off until you actually see that its not possible. In the mean time, I would rent the unused points. Eventually your schedule will allow you to go back to WDW and you will, since you already acknowledge you are kids at heart.

Renting with David is pretty easy and not much of a downside. The renting will cover your dues plus some extra. I say set the extra money aside after paying your dues for when you can finally have a big Disney trip.....then use the money and really big!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
cvjw
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post

The info about abundance of "points" from Davids is alarming. Appreciate your honesty in reporting an aspect of renting we do not know about and should be discussed more often.
I suspect the next year will be down but the future will explode when Disney opens Star Wars . Renting will def be positive aspect for DVC because cash rates will be shocking.

Welcome to DVC ....
It must just be too many akv points. Davids just rented out my beach club points in a day. Maybe the demand for 11 month rentals at akv is down?
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
starry_solo
One Bedroom

Maybe make some spec rentals? If you can get into value or club level for AKV (it might take some walking to do), but some 3 or 4 nights here and there and then rent them out?
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Congratulations and welcome! As others have said, keep the contract. Rent the points, as far as a ‘slow’ time for AKV. January isn’t that far off. As long as the points aren’t distressed,you will make money to put towards dues and as said prior maybe you can sneak a long holiday weekend in.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote