home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Doug Disney
Studio

Default HHI DVC vs HHI non DVC?

Considering a 1/2 week on HHI in the spring.

Looking for some advice of whether HHI DVC is worth it vs just renting a house which would be much cheaper.

Any thoughts? I want to visit all of the DVC resorts at some point, so I'd probably stay one night at HHI DVC either way.
Doug Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

We stay on HHI often. We started with the Disney Resort and loved it, but it was getting difficult to book as we do not own.

Marriott has awesome properties on the beach with plenty of amenities. My favorite is Surfwatch. Their 3 bedroom villas are very comfortable.

The houses are nice but can feel dated but all the Marriott properties have been renovated and upgraded.

The level of cleanliness is always high on the Island. Even the dates properties are extremely clean.
I will sometimes book a night on points or cash just to visit Disney or partake in the festivities if we have family visit while we are there.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
melk
Grand Villa

We've only stayed at the Disney resort there but we loved it. Loved the accommodations and the amenities. Only drawback is that you have to drive or bike to the beach house. We didn't mind that but if you were looking for a place right on the beach then the Disney resort isn't for you.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
We stay on HHI often. We started with the Disney Resort and loved it, but it was getting difficult to book as we do not own.

Marriott has awesome properties on the beach with plenty of amenities. My favorite is Surfwatch. Their 3 bedroom villas are very comfortable.

The houses are nice but can feel dated but all the Marriott properties have been renovated and upgraded.

The level of cleanliness is always high on the Island. Even the dates properties are extremely clean.
I will sometimes book a night on points or cash just to visit Disney or partake in the festivities if we have family visit while we are there.
This for us. If I am on an island I better be able to at least walk to the ocean and Disney HHI does not meet that criteria.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Disney View Post

Looking for some advice of whether HHI DVC is worth it vs just renting a house which would be much cheaper.

Any thoughts? I want to visit all of the DVC resorts at some point, so I'd probably stay one night at HHI DVC either way.
For the last couple of years I have been going to HHI with my BFF for a girls vacation and we have really enjoyed staying at the DVC property. We find it comfortable, love the CMs and how pleasant and helpful they are, and we don't mind taking the bus or driving over to the beach house (we usually drive). What we love most about the DVC property is that they have the beach house there for your use. We love that the beach house is there for your needs providing food, drinks, and an air conditioned space with WiFi if you have to do a little work through the day (which we try to avoid). We also love having beach towels provided by DVC. For us that is a nice little perk.

With all that said... I think you would have to assess what it is you want while staying on Hilton Head. For my friend and I we just love the laid back feel of the resort and the beach house. We don't mind that the beach is a little distance away from the hotel. If you want more space, and to save money, I don't think the HHI DVC hotel is all that "Disney" but, it is a lovely property IMO.

Good luck with your decision.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Monday, 12/25/17 - Tuesday, 12/26/2017 - SSR
Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Some people may feel differently, but for us, so much of our love for Hilton Head is because of the resort and its great CMs. DH and I considered retiring on HHI, but decided that the better idea was to buy more DHHI points. Perhaps not the better deal financially, but like I said, for us so much of HHI for us is about the resort.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #7
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

We love disney HHi it is a great location and there is alwys something going on. The down side is the beach is a little bit away acrosss the street in palmetto dunes. But javing said that, my vote would be either the Marriott or dvc.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Disney View Post

I would go the house route! You will probably be MUCH closer to the ocean!

However, I admit that the location of the DVC resort on HHI was a HUGE disappointment for me. I LOVE Hilton Head, but I don't want to have to take a bus or drive to the beach.

Last time I went we rented an ocean front condo in Palmetto Dunes for less than the dues on points would cost a year I had kept my DVC. I just can't see the "Disney appeal" (Trust me that condo was as nice as not nicer than any DVC unit I have been in!)

I am also very partial to Sea Pines resort (which has a GREAT beach club... puts Disney to shame, but you have to bring your own towels LOL!) So I would rather stay there.

I find the people on the island are nice and did not feel that I was treated any better or worse at the DVC resort. For me it was a huge letdown and I sold my points. If I was to go the timeshare route again there I would go Marriott. Nicer units and ocean front!
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

The Marriott Beach properties all have Beach houses with bar and food pools, hot tubs, restrooms as well.

I love DHHIR but it is difficult to book if you do not own. Especially Spring Break, summer and most of fall.

We like to visit in the off season and it is still difficult to book.

HHI was just awarded the best island in Conus. It is well deserved.
Also Marriott started their timeshare unit on the Island so most are flagship resorts and lots of stability.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I am torn with this.....

I want to stay at HHI at least once, but when I go to a beach destination I like to see, hear and smell the beach. I love to walk out the door and walk right on to the beach.....take that sunrise stroll with Robin.