home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
ReagentGrade
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Noobie Help: How to reserve 12/26/18 to 1/5/19 at home resort>

Early this year I successfully bought a loaded BLT resale (Feb use year) WooHoo!! David's helped me rent the banked 2016 points (Thank you!).

Now I want to use my 2017 (banked) and 2018 points to reserve our first DVC vacation. My son, DIL, and grandsons are joining us so it must be perfect!

I want a 2BR BLT Lake View room from 12/26/18 to 1/5/2019. This is a 10-night reservation at a very high demand time period.

I sure could use your wisdom on best way to accomplish this.

As I understand it, I can
>> reserve on 1/26/18, but only for seven nights
>> or wait until 1/29/18 and reserve all ten nights

Is this correct?

If I wait until 1/29, do I risk the first three nights being sold out?

Since the end of my time range is in lower demand, maybe I should reserve on 1/26/19 for seven days, wait three days, and call to extend my reservation.

One last question... How early in the day can I go online to reserve?

Thanks for your help!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I would go online and do the first 7 nights. Then you can call daily after that for 3 days to get the last 3 nights or wait the 3 days and add them all at the end. I likely would be nuts and call daily

Welcome to mouseowners by the way!!!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
MMC1
Grand Villa

I just had to "walk" a reservation for 1 bdr BLT dates 12/26/17- 1/1/18 at the 11 month window.
Depending on how many points you have to manipulate the system ... I had 200... I started to notice the -first- day of December dates would be taken and that blocks grabbing the next day/days. So 7 days in advance of my desired arrival date I started booking at the 11 month window and then had to call the next morn to cancel first day to add on to the end date until I had my desired vacation. This has to be done day by day. I have only done this for Xmas/New Years at BLT because it is very popular , obviously due to MK firework view on Top of the World and restricted entry for those holidays.
If you do not understand this term "Walk a reservation for DVC" try googling. I found a good explanation on DVCInfo . Might also have explanation on DVCNews.

Warning this is a very controversial tactic and some think it should be against rules. I only desire to travel for a holiday so Halloween and July 4th and NYE means walk it!
If I had known these holidays would be this difficult I would have purchased a fixed date membership.

Last edited by MMC1; 11-12-2017 at 09:22 PM.
MMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Oh_Joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Early this year I successfully bought a loaded BLT resale (Feb use year) WooHoo!! David's helped me rent the banked 2016 points (Thank you!).

Now I want to use my 2017 (banked) and 2018 points to reserve our first DVC vacation. My son, DIL, and grandsons are joining us so it must be perfect!

I want a 2BR BLT Lake View room from 12/26/18 to 1/5/2019. This is a 10-night reservation at a very high demand time period.

I sure could use your wisdom on best way to accomplish this.

As I understand it, I can
>> reserve on 1/26/18, but only for seven nights
>> or wait until 1/29/18 and reserve all ten nights

Is this correct?

Since the end of my time range is in lower demand, maybe I should reserve on 1/26/19 for seven days, wait three days, and call to extend my reservation.

Thanks for your help!
If you wait until 1/29/18 to reserve all 10 nights, you will most likely lose out on those first 3 nights. Lake View villas are the last to book up at BLT, so you stand a better chance of getting what you want than if you were trying for standard view or theme park view. But Christmas-to-New-Year's Day is a very popular week and you don't want to take any chances.

Online booking opens up at 8:00 AM Eastern Time. It's best to be logged in and have the dates, resort and villa type all entered so that all you have to do is hit <submit> when the time comes. Use the clock on your phone to make sure that you're not too early or late. Make the reservation for one person (yourself) and then call MS later to add the rest of the family. Getting to that final, confirmation page quickly is important and having to enter full names and addresses for the whole group just slows you down.
Oh_Joy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:26 AM   #5
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

You will have to walk the system, meaning two weeks before, your desired date book the reservation then every day drop a noght at the beginning and addit to the end until you have your reservation, otherwise you run the risk of not getting it
Old 11-13-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
h2otraveler
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post

Thanks for your help!
Just FYI the first weekend of Jan. is sometimes very high demand because of the WDW marathon. Looking at the calendar for 1/2019, the marathon will most likely be 1/6 with events starting 1/2, so I don't think your last 3 days will be an easy get as everything books fast for the marathon & related races/events.
I'd be ready to grab 7 nights in your 2 br. lake view right at 8 am eastern time on 1/26. Start checking several days before to get a sense for how fast the villa you want disappears.
Then on 1/27 I'd call (member services does not open until 9 a.m. eastern time, btw) and add a day, repeat 1/28 for day 9, and 1/29 for day 10.
But, I'm compulsive like that. I usually book for 10 or 11 nights and can't stand waiting the extra 3 or 4 days to save myself a few calls, I like knowing my reservation is done as early as possible
Old 11-13-2017, 01:54 AM   #7
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

A 2BR lakeview is not going to be difficult to get at 11 months for that check in. Just book your first 7 nights when the 11 month window opens and then 3 days later call to add the additional 3 nights.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
A 2BR lakeview is not going to be difficult to get at 11 months for that check in. Just book your first 7 nights when the 11 month window opens and then 3 days later call to add the additional 3 nights.
IMO, No need to walk a 2B Lake View. Just reserve as Goofygrl suggests.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
IMO, No need to walk a 2B Lake View. Just reserve as Goofygrl suggests.

There are some I might walk for, but a 2 bedroom lake view at BLT is not one. I wouldn't wait 3 days to book all 10 at once, but I wouldn't bother with walking that one.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
ReagentGrade

Default I Have a Plan

Thanks so much for this guidance! It's exactly what I need to know.

Although my son, DIL, and grandsons have been to DL many times, they’ve never been to WDW. Nor have they been to DL more than three days at a time. An extended vacation at WDW will be our best Disney experience ever!

After considering all the input, this is my plan:
  1. Check availability daily starting 12/20.
  2. “Practice” making a reservation (my name only) so I can do it quickly
  3. Keep checking if availability stays good,
  4. if earlier days start to sell out, make a seven-day reservation
  5. If no reservation by 12/24, log in around at 6:45 AM central time and prepare a reservation
  6. Use my cell phone time to help me press enter at 7:00:05 AM central time
  7. Walk the reservation forward (daily) until12/26.
  8. Call each daily, 12/27-29, to add a day to the reservation.
  9. When I have exactly the reservation we want, add the other names to the reservation.
Your advice has been very, very helpful! This plan takes a load of my mind.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote