home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
DBridge
Studio

Default Port Canaveral Transport

Sorry if there is already a thread regarding this.

Family of 6 (parents, 2 kids (5&3), grandparents) 4 night cruise on the Dream from Port Canaveral.

Staying at OKW the night before and staying at CCV after the cruise.

How do you recommend getting to Port Canaveral? Disney Transport? Private Vehicle? Rent a car? We are staying on the concierge level, does that change how/when you recommend getting there.

First time cruiser, thank you.
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

These are all viable alternatives. The answer depends on your personal preferences.

Will you be using a rental at WDW before and/or after the cruise? If so, it makes sense to simply make one rental car reservation, drive it there and back, and pay for parking at Port Canaveral. The convenience is hard to beat; you can get there earlier, and after the cruise you just get in your car and drive off while everyone else is dealing with buses. For a 3 or 4 night cruise the parking fee is not that bad. (Of course you would need a large enough vehicle to handle 6 comfortably.)

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

I think the Disney bus is going to be pretty high for 6 people ($420). Personally we do the rental car and just park it at the port.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
BobParr
One Bedroom

I looked into this when we were planning a cruise out of Port Canaveral last year. After looking at Disney transportation, the various independent shuttle services (HUGE variation in quality based upon reviews) and car rental, I opted to rent a car. You can:

1. Park it at the port (easiest)
2. Park at your hotel if you're staying the night before (cheapest, if they have room-many offer this as a perk)
3. Rent one-way two times and not park at all.

Depending on when you make your reservation, one-way can be cheaper, but you will get caught in the hassle of waiting for your car during the "rush" of people getting off the boat upon your return.

YMMV, but I would rent and park.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
Quellman
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobParr View Post
I looked into this when we were planning a cruise out of Port Canaveral last year. After looking at Disney transportation, the various independent shuttle services (HUGE variation in quality based upon reviews) and car rental, I opted to rent a car. You can:

1. Park it at the port (easiest)
2. Park at your hotel if you're staying the night before (cheapest, if they have room-many offer this as a perk)
3. Rent one-way two times and not park at all.

Depending on when you make your reservation, one-way can be cheaper, but you will get caught in the hassle of waiting for your car during the "rush" of people getting off the boat upon your return.

YMMV, but I would rent and park.
Interesting review on the private car hires. There are a few that come recommended a lot. If the original poster does do a car hire, they should make sure that there is availability for ALL passengers and luggage!
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
ustasmom
One Bedroom

I booked with Go Port Canaveral. Round trip was $29.90 per person. We aren't cruising on Disney, though.

We are doing straight forward Magical Express to our resort the day before. Then I can book at the front desk our return trip to MCO. I'm thinking that it may just be easier to make up a flight a couple hours after I want to arrive at the airport. I do plan to get to the boat early so I want to hitch a ride back to MCO at around 7:30am. Then on the return I should be able to simply walk up to the Magical Express desk and they will put us on a bus once they confirm our reservation.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
avsheffi
Grand Villa

I'm typically pretty frugal, but when it comes to transport from WDW to Port Canaveral, we just drive our own car and pay to park at the port. It's worth the extra money to us to have the convenience of walking right onto and off of the ship without having to wait for a shuttle. We've done the hotel park and ride at the Radisson and the additional stress of waiting for the shuttle, having it fill up before we get on, then having to wait for another one...it was just too much of a hassle, especially since when we leave the boat we have a nine-hour drive home.

avsheffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
JENREN435
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

With two little kids, I prefer the Disney bus transportation. Don't have to worry about car seats and my kids (2 and 3) always seem to do well on the bus!

Have fun on the cruise! Disney Dream is awesome!
JENREN435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
These are all viable alternatives. The answer depends on your personal preferences.

Will you be using a rental at WDW before and/or after the cruise? If so, it makes sense to simply make one rental car reservation, drive it there and back, and pay for parking at Port Canaveral. The convenience is hard to beat; you can get there earlier, and after the cruise you just get in your car and drive off while everyone else is dealing with buses. For a 3 or 4 night cruise the parking fee is not that bad. (Of course you would need a large enough vehicle to handle 6 comfortably.)
I agree. I always rent a car for Disney Cruise at port caneveral and as the above poster said the convenience can't be beat. I rent the car at the airport and drop it at the drop off at the port. I take the shuttle to the ship, and then do the reverse upon returning. (saving some money on the parking fees) You can get a decent price thru USAA travel services if you are a member.
dvcfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsheffi View Post
I'm typically pretty frugal, but when it comes to transport from WDW to Port Canaveral, we just drive our own car and pay to park at the port. It's worth the extra money to us to have the convenience of walking right onto and off of the ship without having to wait for a shuttle. We've done the hotel park and ride at the Radisson and the additional stress of waiting for the shuttle, having it fill up before we get on, then having to wait for another one...it was just too much of a hassle, especially since when we leave the boat we have a nine-hour drive home.
I wish that I could take my car but I live to far away to be a cost effective option. I alway rent a car and use it to visit family members in the area. I do the one way rental and save a few bucks on the parking fees.
dvcfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote