home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
smmcgarry
Banned

Default Post at the other place

As promised, here follows my original post at the other board that was so coldly received. Please judge for yourself if I was "out of line."

Between me and my wife, we have been on Disney trips over 50 times. We moved to Florida in August and bought annual passes on Sunday. I was apprehensive about doing so because Disney has always been "special" to me, and I felt like it would lose its charm if we were free to go "whenever."

Our first trip was on Monday and I was absolutely miserable. I did not enjoy the experience because I thought it was going to become just another Six Flags to me. Watching people take the monorail and shuttle buses to resorts did not help the situation, as I knew that when the day was over for us, it was back to regular life.

We went back to MK on Tuesday and had a pretty bad experience with a cast member trying to run us off the road on World Drive. She was wearing a Tomorrowland uniform. We went to guest services and complained about her, giving them a description of her, her vehicle and he license plate. We were given 2 FPs and told that when it was discovered who she was, it would not be a training issue... she would not be welcome back.

We were in line toward the end of the day at the minetrain using one of the FP's when I got an alert on my phone from my security cameras. We were in the process of being robbed! Soon, race out of the park and an hour drive back home to find my dogs had scared them off.

We went back on Friday and spent the day at Hollywood Studios which was OK, but man, did that place go downhill since we were there last. Then, we headed back to MK around 5PM. It was POURING. We went back to guest services and told them how we lost one of the FP's given to us because of the break-in. They were kind enough to give us 3 more. FINALLY, we were able to ride the minetrain which was OK, but certainly not worth a 2 hour wait if we had to.

I'm getting used to having annual passes, but I'm still apprehensive that this is going to turn into just another thing to do.

Some observations:

1) Has anyone ever noticed the two women sitting on a bench about 20 feet from the chain at the end of one of the loops of the queue at Tower of Terror? I won't say anymore than that.

2) Are people getting very obvious about trying to use fast passes outside of the time window? We routinely saw people try to use them 1-3 hours too early. One guy left the line swearing at the top of his lungs when they wouldn't let him on.

3) Has HS gotten as bad as me and my wife think?

4) Has there been somewhat of a breakdown in the Fastness system? We used one of our FP's on Space Mountain last night and the standby line was FLYING by us. We waited longer than they did... the line was almost under the people mover tracks.
smmcgarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
mustinjourney
Two Bedroom

Not sure if out of line, but it's a pretty negative post. And if that's your first post in a forum, you're going to rub people the wrong way. My guess is that if you had sprinkled in some positive stuff, it would have been better received.

It'd be like walking into a party and immediately talking about how dated the decor was and how the food sucked. The people at the party aren't going to be very welcoming.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
Not sure if out of line, but it's a pretty negative post. And if that's your first post in a forum, you're going to rub people the wrong way. My guess is that if you had sprinkled in some positive stuff, it would have been better received.

It'd be like walking into a party and immediately talking about how dated the decor was and how the food sucked. The people at the party aren't going to be very welcoming.
i don't think this post would have been well received here either. what's the point really, other than to rant.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
smmcgarry
Banned

I understand. However, what company is beyond reproach?

My wife and I have been there over 50 times. We're not new to the parks. I think I deserve a rant here and there.

I get what you both are saying. Disney is not perfect, though. They make mistakes.
smmcgarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Frankly, it doesn’t sound to me that Disney was at fault for a lot of your problems/issues. Not Disney’s fault it rained, not Disney’s fault you were broken in to or that you had preconceived notions that an Annual Pass would ruin the experience for you.

As far as DHS is concerned, there truly is very little to do there right now, but it is definitely getting a facelift and new attractions to make for a better guest experience going forward.

Sorry, but I just don’t see the point of your post other than sharing your experience, and I am not sure what kind of response you were hoping for.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
LR0929
One Bedroom

I've been going to Disney at least once a year for my entire life. Some years we went 2-3 times. My husband and I decided to move down here from NJ in June of 2016. I'll admit that I was also a little worried that it would take away from the excitement of looking forward to a Disney vacation. We got annual passes right away and started going to the parks at least once a week. I sometimes would get sad when I saw a Magical Express go by, as it reminded me of the feeling I would get when arriving at Disney. Fast forward 16 months and I absolutely love being here. I love getting to go to Disney whenever we want. I love being able to stay at the resorts for random nights here and there. I love getting to spend a Tuesday night walking around Disney Springs. I love the overall atmosphere here and have no regrets (especially not our annual pass purchase).

That being said, your post doesn't really bother me. I agree with previous posters that it is negative and maybe not the best first impression to give to a bunch of Disney lovers. I also don't think any of your experiences were Disney's fault. It kind of sounds like you created your own bad experiences since you approached the whole thing with a negative mindset. Give it some time with an open mind and then reevaluate your decision. And don't stress about what people think. I've seen plenty of nasty posts, but way more friendly and informative ones.
LR0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Oh, way, WAY out of line! Honestly, I don't know what anyone "there" was complaining about, but it doesn't surprise me. I've also gotten attacked for what I thought were not attack-worthy comments.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
taccol
One Bedroom

I'm a Florida native...been going to Disney my whole life. Bought DVC a few years ago...went so much because we live so close, that friends and family would be like..."AGAIN"?

Sometimes we'd be in the middle of dinner and just decide to drive down just for fireworks. Sometimes it was a last minute 1 or 2 days staycation.

I've never had a bad day at Disney...it's always Magical.
Sounds like your experience is just not the type of Disney vacation that feel special to you.

For me...any time, be it for a few hours or a few days or even longer, is Magical!

I know people who are Florida natives and those who have lived in Florida most of their lives who have never had the opportunity to even visit Disney...so in light of your ability to go when ever you want...I'd probably not be so open with complaining. At least you have the chance to go whenever you'd like...others, not so much.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

As far as I'm concerned you're perfectly welcome here.
Yes that sounds like a rotten experience. You've had better and will again. But there's no harm in letting loose online.

(1) No. Will try to remember to look next time, but probably won't. In the meanwhile an explanation wouldn't go amiss.
(2) Maybe it's getting worse, but I kind of doubt it. Bad guest behavior is pretty much a constant. Perhaps you just had the bad luck to experience more of it.
(3) Definitely. I can only think of 10 things I really enjoy doing there, instead of a dozen or more not too long ago. Think I'll still go.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
pdude81
Two Bedroom

I don't think your post is problematic. Some people might be annoyed by it but that is pretty much the way it goes with everything on the internet. I wouldn't have responded to it because it just sounds like you were venting and I don't want to feed into that.

Also, now that you've escaped please stay out of Mordor.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote