home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
bjackowski
Studio

Default How do you fly DTW -> MCO

Hello -

We continuously flip flop on who we fly...Delta, SW, Spirit. I want to love SW and fly with them on this route, but there are no direct flights.

Where do you find the best deals/values?

TIA!
bjackowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Lucky214
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Last time we drove out to Grand Rapids to fly SW. Better price and less crowded airport.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
bjackowski
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky214 View Post
Last time we drove out to Grand Rapids to fly SW. Better price and less crowded airport.
Wow.... could be an options if we were closer to the west side.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Mass Transit
Two Bedroom

We're loyal SW customers, but loved JetBlue the last time we flew to MCO.

Last edited by Mass Transit; 09-14-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

No help here. We always fly Delta. We check many other airports other than DTW, as it's often cheaper to originate your flight in a smaller airport.
Most of the time, the flight goes through DTW, sometimes MSP.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

We have flown all 3 airlines. SW used to have the best deals out of Flint, although they always had a stop in Atlanta. That was OK, because Flint was a super easy airport to get to/park/fly out of and the layovers were typically short.

Well, in the past 3 years, we haven't found any SW deals from anywhere in Michigan. So we've just flown Delta and have been lucky with our cost/person....but not this year! SO, we have currently scheduled our last 2 trips via Spirit....

The verdict is still out on all of them for us.....

ME DH DS19 DD16
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

Only DTW-MCO directs I see are Delta, Spirit, and Frontier. It appears those are your only options if you must have a direct flight.

Unless you pack really light Delta is probably your best bet.

You could always get a Delta Platinum Amex; yearly BOGO US48 ticket, 50K-70K signup miles (varies) with $3K spend in 3 months, and 1 checked bag free for each person on your reservation. ~$195 annual fee, but between the yearly free ticket and Amex Offers you can usually recover that cost.

DVC properties I've tried: VWL-BRV (owner), AUL (owner), SSR (owner), VB, VGF, BWV, PVB, BLT, AKV
Waiting to close on: VGC
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post
We have flown all 3 airlines. SW used to have the best deals out of Flint, although they always had a stop in Atlanta. That was OK, because Flint was a super easy airport to get to/park/fly out of and the layovers were typically short.

Well, in the past 3 years, we haven't found any SW deals from anywhere in Michigan. So we've just flown Delta and have been lucky with our cost/person....but not this year! SO, we have currently scheduled our last 2 trips via Spirit....

The verdict is still out on all of them for us.....

I always look at all airlines and all airports including FLINT, Grand Rapids, Midland/BayCity, Lansing, Toledo and Tampa and that other small airport in Orlando (name ??) and cannot find anything that I would consider a bargain! We prefer to fly direct.

I have a Delta AMEX so at least we get free bags, but these new ECOMONY fares really burn my butt! basically charging $50/RT to pick your seat. We tried the ECONOMY once ($200 savings for family) but my then 7yo was panic stricken that he was going to have to sit alone!! True to their customer service, Delta did accommodate a parent to remain with him..but they didn't HAVE to. Too much stress.

SPIRIT gets some cruddy reviews that have totally scared me off and the Frontier flights that I had been looking at for Dec seemed to have just disappeared into cyber space? And with both, you have to pay, pay, pay for anything "extra". Alligent Air flies into that other Orland airport, but then gotta rent a car, same for flights into TAMPA, so that eats up any savings and increases the vacation hassle factor!

I watch kayak daily for signs of a price decrease than look at all of the permutations again.... until I give up and grab a DELTA fare that I can live with.

We flew SWA out of Flint once...and it was direct too. I did think that was nice and service was good, but no real bargain in SW that I have found for my travel and I have not seen anything direct lately...
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
bjackowski
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
Only DTW-MCO directs I see are Delta, Spirit, and Frontier. It appears those are your only options if you must have a direct flight.

Unless you pack really light Delta is probably your best bet.

You could always get a Delta Platinum Amex; yearly BOGO US48 ticket, 50K-70K signup miles (varies) with $3K spend in 3 months, and 1 checked bag free for each person on your reservation. ~$195 annual fee, but between the yearly free ticket and Amex Offers you can usually recover that cost.
I did open the Platinum Amex in hopes of using the points to book the trip we have planned in Oct. Cost is still fairly high right now, so I'm trying to determine if I should stay diligent about checking for a deal with Spirit or just use the points. I'm thinking that unless prices/miles go down, we'll have to buy at least one ticket....the cost may get close to total trip cost with Spirit and if so I should just save miles.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

I failed to mention that GR has on occasion had direct flights on Delta to MCO. I know you aren't keen on driving to GR but it is something to consider....