home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
KL80
Studio

Default AK Opening Question

As I'm down to just a few days before our next trip, I have an AK/Pandora question. I understand that AK is opening earlier than the posted time. The day we are going to AK, the park is 'supposed' to open at 9AM. Based on reading the posts on FoP, my understanding is that if I get there at 7:30am, I won't really have a huge wait for FoP (I get claustrophobic waiting on lines so I do whatever is necessary to avoid them!).
Here's my question... if I get there at 7:30am (or even 7:15am), can the rest of my family join me at 8:15 or 8:00? I don't want them to have to wait with me if they don't need to. Can they just join me on the line? We're talking 4 people that will join the line, 2 toddler kids, husband and my mom.
KL80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

I'm not a big fan of that.

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD11DD8
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
bigmac0712
Studio

From my experience last weekend, no they will not be able to join you. For a 9am opening, they have been opening up the turnstiles (for those without breakfast reservations) at around 8:25-8:30am.

We got there around 7:30 to line up at the turnstiles and each had its own line which by 7:50 was huge. People were very serious about not letting entire families join the line if only one person had been waiting. In fact I saw probably 4 or 5 instances of people in the line (nicely) telling people if they wanted their family to join they needed to go to the back of the line. If every person had 2-3 people join suddenly it becomes very unfair. I understand it's not ideal for those who don't have people who can stand and wait (and I say this having traveled with my 5 year old and 2 parents, and waiting for an hour with them was brutal) - those that can wait can do it, otherwise they should make other plans to arrive later and enjoy a different ride. It's not worth the stress.

Then once the turnstiles opened up it was a mad non-running sprint past Tiffins to get to the bridge at Pandora, which we were held at until around 8:45am until which we were lead in a very easy-paced, CM led crawl to FOP. There is absolutely no way for a family to meet a waiting party on the bridge. The crush of people is body to body (if you're claustrophobic you will HATE this part, we actually had a young woman a few rows in front of us on the bridge get overheated and vomit/almost faint while waiting-- and it is body to body in a walking crush until actually in the queue for FOP) and people are very serious about not being pushed through as they've been waiting the entire time.

I didn't mind doing it twice but I wouldn't do it again anytime soon. It wasn't very enjoyable even for someone like me who doesn't mind throngs of people.
bigmac0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmer55 View Post
I'm not a big fan of that.
I agree. One person saving a spot in line is not, IMO, correct behavior. Those who are thee are in line. Those not there are not in line. If we allow this, what;s the limit? What if I'm there with a group of 10>

I would hope that Disney would not allow this.

Cheers.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac0712 View Post
From my experience last weekend, no they will not be able to join you. For a 9am opening, they have been opening up the turnstiles (for those without breakfast reservations) at around 8:25-8:30am.

We got there around 7:30 to line up at the turnstiles and each had its own line which by 7:50 was huge. People were very serious about not letting entire families join the line if only one person had been waiting. In fact I saw probably 4 or 5 instances of people in the line (nicely) telling people if they wanted their family to join they needed to go to the back of the line. If every person had 2-3 people join suddenly it becomes very unfair. I understand it's not ideal for those who don't have people who can stand and wait (and I say this having traveled with my 5 year old and 2 parents, and waiting for an hour with them was brutal) - those that can wait can do it, otherwise they should make other plans to arrive later and enjoy a different ride. It's not worth the stress.

Then once the turnstiles opened up it was a mad non-running sprint past Tiffins to get to the bridge at Pandora, which we were held at until around 8:45am until which we were lead in a very easy-paced, CM led crawl to FOP. There is absolutely no way for a family to meet a waiting party on the bridge. The crush of people is body to body (if you're claustrophobic you will HATE this part, we actually had a young woman a few rows in front of us on the bridge get overheated and vomit/almost faint while waiting-- and it is body to body in a walking crush until actually in the queue for FOP) and people are very serious about not being pushed through as they've been waiting the entire time.

I didn't mind doing it twice but I wouldn't do it again anytime soon. It wasn't very enjoyable even for someone like me who doesn't mind throngs of people.
Thanks for that detailed update. We will be there next Thursday and am torn between getting there early and burning a couple hours on FoP, or doing the exact opposite and go right and ride whatever we want while everyone else is at Pandora. We have a FP for Na'vi, and we have first timers with us. Two of us have ridden FOP and I just can't decide, do we go all in and wait for FOP or explore a near empty rest of the park at opening. Since they are first timers they will never know what they are missing.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
bigmac0712
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmer55 View Post
Thanks for that detailed update. We will be there next Thursday and am torn between getting there early and burning a couple hours on FoP, or doing the exact opposite and go right and ride whatever we want while everyone else is at Pandora. We have a FP for Na'vi, and we have first timers with us. Two of us have ridden FOP and I just can't decide, do we go all in and wait for FOP or explore a near empty rest of the park at opening. Since they are first timers they will never know what they are missing.
Very welcome. I would never subject first timers to the rope drop for FOP. It's just such an unpleasant experience, especially in the heat. I'd say they'd never know what they're missing... I'd rather them have 2 hours of an empty park and walk on everything else there and enjoy the animals than get to the park 90 min early or spend 2 hours in line for FOP. And I do agree it's an excellent ride!
Old 09-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Very welcome. I would never subject first timers to the rope drop for FOP. It's just such an unpleasant experience, especially in the heat. I'd say they'd never know what they're missing... I'd rather them have 2 hours of an empty park and walk on everything else there and enjoy the animals than get to the park 90 min early or spend 2 hours in line for FOP. And I do agree it's an excellent ride!
Yep, that is our plan, just discussed it with the wife. They will enjoy an 8:45 arrival and instead of FoP we will ride EE a couple times and breeze through DinoLand with no FP burned.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
KL80
Studio

Quote:
Reading your description actually gave me anxiety just now
Ok since you got there at 7:30 for a 9am opening, where in this body to body crushing line were you? Towards the front? And what time did you get on FoP after being there so early?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
bigmac0712
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL80 View Post
Reading your description actually gave me anxiety just now
Ok since you got there at 7:30 for a 9am opening, where in this body to body crushing line were you? Towards the front? And what time did you get on FoP after being there so early?
My mom has claustrophobia so I have sympathy for anyone with it. Normally she is fine at Disney but the Pandora bridge was her breaking point in the heat for 20 min. We were maybe 25 people back from our turnstile to get into the park after arriving at 730 (no line at bag check ) - so that only took maybe 3-5 min once they opened. The bridge to Pandora is where the body crushing is just "unbearable" --her words, the heat and humidity just amplified the fact that everybody was so close there was no way to turn without touching someone. We were maybe among the first 300 people on the bridge (stay to the edge if you do it, at least you can breathe on one side) and we walked right onto the ride. We entered the official FOP queue after the CM walked the bridge crowd over at 855 and were off the ride by 915.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
KL80
Studio

Thank you for the tip for the side. Without having 'open air' somewhere, I don't think I would be able to make it. And the thought of not being able to get out of the crowd line fast enough bc there would be people everywhere, makes it worse. Any place I go, I have to be able to find an 'exit' and large masses of people around you doesn't offer that. But if I can be on the side of a bridge with open air, that will help.
Although, I am second guessing riding FoP right now