home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
momonthego
Studio

Default Old Key West & a scooter questions

My moms is going to join us for 4 nights at Old Key West. She will need to rent a scooter. We will be in a studio.
1. Is there room to put a scooter in the studio. We have never stayed at OKW but I do know they are larger studios. I have seen people park them in the hallways. at other resorts but that is not an option at OKW.

2 can we just request a first floor room or do we need a handicapped room to get the first floor. I hear they do not have elevators but I could Be wrong.

3. Where would you request for a room location, So we are near a bus stop and close enough to walk to a pool.

4. Can anyone recommend a place to rent a scooter. I see there are lots of them but would like recommendations.. she has to use one every time she goes grocery shopping so she is quite familiar with how they work. W
momonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthego View Post
My moms is going to join us for 4 nights at Old Key West. She will need to rent a scooter. We will be in a studio.
1. Is there room to put a scooter in the studio. We have never stayed at OKW but I do know they are larger studios. I have seen people park them in the hallways. at other resorts but that is not an option at OKW.

2 can we just request a first floor room or do we need a handicapped room to get the first floor. I hear they do not have elevators but I could Be wrong.

3. Where would you request for a room location, So we are near a bus stop and close enough to walk to a pool.

4. Can anyone recommend a place to rent a scooter. I see there are lots of them but would like recommendations.. she has to use one every time she goes grocery shopping so she is quite familiar with how they work. W
1. Yes. We have never parked ours in the hallway even in BLT studio. You will have plenty of room.

2. Buildings 62-64 have elevators. You can request that or first floor. I recommend calling MS so they know this is for a medical reason. We have had luck with that.

3. There are 4 pools and 4 bus stops. It all depends on what you like in location. Peninsular is the first stop and walkable to the Hospitality House. Turtle Pond is next and they have a great pool and snack bar. South Point is nice and quiet. Miller's Road is next closest to the HH next to Peninsular. The pool is closer to the bus stop there vs others IMO other than HH which is its own booking category.

4. Buena Vista scooter rental and Apple Scooters are good. We also like Walker mobility but you now have to meet them to get your scooter.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
momonthego
Studio

Thanks
momonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

A scooter fits fine in a studio at OKW. We've always requested Miller area. The bus stop is always empty so less stressful loading a scooter with no one staring you down and having room on the bus.

As far as recommendation, we are in the hunt of finding a new service as the last two times we got a scooter from Apple, they were in horrible shape and had an old battery in one (per the guy who replaced it) that left us stranded for an hour.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
EeyoreLover
Studio

Regarding renting a scooter, I recommend Best Price Mobility. I have rented from them about 6 times in the past 2 years and they have provided great service. They are a Disney approved vendor and will drop off/pick up the scooter at any Disney resort.
EeyoreLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreLover View Post
Regarding renting a scooter, I recommend Best Price Mobility. I have rented from them about 6 times in the past 2 years and they have provided great service. They are a Disney approved vendor and will drop off/pick up the scooter at any Disney resort.
I also use best Price mobility. They are local and do on site repairs.
Ask for a newer unit with less wear and tear.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
I also use best Price mobility. They are local and do on site repairs.
Ask for a newer unit with less wear and tear.
I always ask for a first floor room with a bath tub. Many of the handicap rooms have no tub.

The elevators can be hard to maneuver with a scooter .
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

We were in a first floor unit at the end by Southpoint, building 47 or 48, I think. The advantage is that it's close to the first bus stop. Much as I love the views on Miller's Road, the possible disadvantage for a scooter is that it's the last bus stop, so if the bus already has its maximum number of ECVs (3, I think), you'll have to wait for the next bus. And that happened one day! At Southpoint, it's virtually guaranteed you'll get on the bus. Our first floor villa was not HA-what was nice was that it had an electric plug right outside the door, so a couple times I came back and left it plugged in outside for a couple hours until DH got back from his golf game. We rented from Walker, and although the ECV was in excellent shape, I had to be there at drop-off and pick up, and I had to meet them at the HH. I remember especially after they picked it up, it was very difficult to get all the way back to the end of Southpoint. I HAD BEEN very nervous about OKW and scooters since they don't have elevators, but things went fine. However, I still wish OKW had elevators.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
jgrant
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I was a first time scooter renter two weeks ago for a stay at SSR.

I rented from Apple. I think they gave me the most beat-up scooter in their inventory, complete with bite marks on the hand grips and nearly treadless tires.

All the other scooters lined up at bell services were from Buena Vista Scooters. They looked shiny and new.

On the bright side: coming out of an attraction, my scooter was easy to find!
jgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
We were in a first floor unit at the end by Southpoint, building 47 or 48, I think. The advantage is that it's close to the first bus stop. Much as I love the views on Miller's Road, the possible disadvantage for a scooter is that it's the last bus stop, so if the bus already has its maximum number of ECVs (3, I think), you'll have to wait for the next bus. And that happened one day! At Southpoint, it's virtually guaranteed you'll get on the bus. Our first floor villa was not HA-what was nice was that it had an electric plug right outside the door, so a couple times I came back and left it plugged in outside for a couple hours until DH got back from his golf game. We rented from Walker, and although the ECV was in excellent shape, I had to be there at drop-off and pick up, and I had to meet them at the HH. I remember especially after they picked it up, it was very difficult to get all the way back to the end of Southpoint. I HAD BEEN very nervous about OKW and scooters since they don't have elevators, but things went fine. However, I still wish OKW had elevators.
48 is south point so that would be the 3rd stop. Miller's Road is the 4th with Hospitality House being last. I will say we often would get on at HH and never saw it full with ECVs. All buses can take 2, some 3 and one 4.

Peninsular is the 1st stop (buildings 27-29) which is nice because it's also close to the HH. Buildings 23-26 are at the Peninsular stop but considered HH buildings.

We personally find elevators can be hard with scooters, but OKW buildings 62-64 do have elevators. If we aren't going with a scooter we actually try to avoid elevators as much as possible. I was so glad that our room at BCV was right by the stairs.