home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
PinkDisney29
Studio

Default Double Stroller Recommendations?!?!

Does anyone have a double stroller recommendation for a 1 year old and 5.5 year old? I know the 5 year old won't be in it much but will probably want to to take a little break every now and then. This is our first time with both and in the past we have just used an umbrella stroller which is super convenient given the light weight. I'd like to try to stay away from something too heavy! Also don't really want to break the bank seeing as we will likely only use it the next couple of trips (but also figured we could sell it after too). Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated
PinkDisney29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkDisney29 View Post
Does anyone have a double stroller recommendation for a 1 year old and 5.5 year old? I know the 5 year old won't be in it much but will probably want to to take a little break every now and then. This is our first time with both and in the past we have just used an umbrella stroller which is super convenient given the light weight. I'd like to try to stay away from something too heavy! Also don't really want to break the bank seeing as we will likely only use it the next couple of trips (but also figured we could sell it after too). Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated
Getting a decent double stroller without spending a a fair amount is tough. We used a City Mini double when our girls were in strollers (14m apart in age), but that's far from cheap. When our son came along and they were still in strollers, however, we simply brought that along with an umbrella for the times all three wanted to be in strollers (the rest of the time it simply hooked on to the other stroller with a bungee and rode along with no effort). You might consider a similar option for yourselves. If you have two adults going, you could bring your younger child's stroller and and strap an umbrella stroller onto it that can be grabbed when your oldest needs it. It would mean that it would take two to push the strollers when both are onboard, but the rest of the time it would be out of the way.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
BugsDad
Grand Villa

We get either the Mini GT Double or the Summit X3 Double. They are both really nice but the Summit pushes like a dream. We've rented from several different places and had good luck each time.

BugsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Aside from, please don't... sorry dealing with those doubles are hec on my feet, walking anywhere or in a store. Okay vent over.
Since your older one doesn't use it much but Disney is a lot of walking and he may need a rest. Maybe not so much as sitting or laying in a stroller but not finishing the walk back to the bus. What about those single strollers that the 'baby' can sit or lay in and the back part has a step or small seat that a older child stands or sits in. I have seen them and it is usually a older child with a baby in front.My two were enough of a spread that when one was out of a stroller the other came along, so I only needed one stroller.
You may want to look at rental prices, especially if you think the 5 yr old will not really be using it much. To invest, travel and have something and then have to try to sell it is a pain.
Disney54us is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:38 AM   #5
Jcsquirrel
Two Bedroom

Default Just an idea

We did the rental thing once, yes they were big but almost to big. After that we started to stop at Walmart from the airport and we would buy a simple folding stroller I think they were $15. They were easy to get on the bus and move around the park, at the end of the trip we would walk up to people in the rental line and give it away. I do not remember at what age my kids started walking the park but I dont think it was much past 5. You could get one and share, buy two, or spend a bit more and buy a cheaper double and do the same thing. Just an idea, we found the bigness of the stroller was far more of a hassle than the money.
Jcsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Shannon0515
Studio

We have used the Sit 'N Stand double stroller every time we go. At one time, we used an umbrella stroller as well as the double. You never know when little legs will give out. It is a little heavy but very manageable folding up for the buses. It's also not incredibly expensive. It's also sturdy enough to hold "gear" (diapers, wipes, change of clothes, snack, etc either in a bag wrapped around the handle or in the seat when a child isn't using it. It's worked well for us.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
disneyfun!
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

This stroller is a dream for disney, because it's a double, that is like a single. I bought it many moons ago so it used to sell for $750. I know it's still expensive if it's only once in awhile, but honestly, it's perfect. If you are only using the front seat you can use the back to haul all the stuff you take. You can make it one seat, so you could use it at home, if you ever need a stroller but not really for your 5 yo. It also unzips all the way so if the baby falls asleep you can make it lie flat. Then you can cover the top and make it dark in there.
If you can't spend that much maybe you could find one used.

https://www.target.com/p/phil-teds-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
disneyfun! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
Festus
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We used the Maclaren Twin Techno double umbrella stroller on several trips. Depending on the size of your 5.5 year old, it may work for you. We liked it. It folded well for buses, but it is still heavy. Each seat reclined separately, and the rain cover it came with saved us many times in the Disney rains. We bought ours on clearance; the companies reduce the price a lot on discontinued "last year" colors on the Maclarens sometimes.
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote