home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

Default Disney streaming service coming 2019

This is something I would be interested in. I've had the worst time trying to find Disney movies to stream. Some aren't available at all, and others are only available for digital purchase. I just want to watch the movies! I've seen a few on netflix (guess that's over soon), but the best luck I've had is scanning the disney channel & recording them on DVR.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/08/disney...-service-2019/

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
goldilocks_63
Two Bedroom

Red face Just saw this

wonder how that will effect netflix, apple

goldi

I see DIS down a bit today...
goldilocks_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
wonder how that will effect netflix, apple

goldi

I see DIS down a bit today...
I was seeing that Netflix had a rough 1st quarter, but did better in the 2nd so I don't know how stable they are anyway. We dropped Netflix a few months ago because the price they asked for what they offered wasn't worth it for us.

We have a lot of Disney movies in our collection and put them on a server we can watch so Disney's streaming or Netflix really doesn't appeal to us anyway.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Will be interesting to see what exactly is offered... and at what price point.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
mustinjourney
Two Bedroom

I'll probably still sign up for this -- but probably shouldn't. Over the last 3 years I have purchased practically all of the major movies on Blu-ray/DVD.

Most of the movies came with access to stream the movie on the disney movies anywhere, so I already have access to 38 different titles.

I don't have any of the marvels, so that would be a bonus.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
rowrbazzle
Two Bedroom

That's kind of annoying. They just started offering all new Disney movies on Netflix, which was nice as we can't make it to the theater much anymore. Still, I liked it better when I could get tons of Disney and almost every Criterion Collection movie on Netflix.

It's funny that with all these individual streaming services being offered you're almost getting back to cable. How many would you have to subscribe to in order to get all the content you want online?

Although the article also mentions ESPN so if they put them together that might not be bad.
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
It's funny that with all these individual streaming services being offered you're almost getting back to cable. How many would you have to subscribe to in order to get all the content you want online?
Yep. Albeit still able to choose what you want rather than just getting it all and having to pay for channels you never watch.

What I wonder if Disney is a little late to this game and actually may not have the content required for a widely appealing product? It wouldn't be the first time they decided to jump on a bandwagon and have it fizzle.

I too liked it being on Netflix but the price would have to be very, very appealing to subscribe to the Disney streaming and might have to include everything they've ever produced.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Yep. Albeit still able to choose what you want rather than just getting it all and having to pay for channels you never watch.

What I wonder if Disney is a little late to this game and actually may not have the content required for a widely appealing product? It wouldn't be the first time they decided to jump on a bandwagon and have it fizzle.

I too liked it being on Netflix but the price would have to be very, very appealing to subscribe to the Disney streaming and might have to include everything they've ever produced.
Yeah, my concern is that it will be higher than the average streaming service - like $15 or $20 a month, and rotate the movies each month, in hopes of stretching out the subscriptions for longer time.

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
TexasChick
Two Bedroom

I saw this in our local news yesterday. I don't like this at all. We still have cable, so hopefully, I will have access to it because I already have all the Disney channels similar to what HBO does with HBO go if you have HBO. If it is a separate charge, which I am sure it will be, then I will be mad. My kids watch movies on Netflix, so we will just use that and DVDs. I won't be paying for a separate service.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

From the official release:
Quote:
Plans are for the Disney and ESPN streaming services to be available for purchase directly from Disney and ESPN, in app stores, and from authorized MVPDs.
MVPD = Multichannel Video Programming Distributor (cable & satellite providers also includes video service from telcos).

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/wal...rship-bamtech/

JaxFLBear is online now   Reply With Quote