home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
jmark
Two Bedroom

Default WDW summer attendance woes impact on DVC reservations?

There has been a fair amount of talk of summer attendance being down at WDW this year. With bigger restaurant discounts, a cut back in hours, as well generally perceived lower summer crowds, it seems that attendance is not what WDW was anticipating. I imagine one of the reasons for the perceived attendance downturn, a decrease of foreign travelers due to conditions in those countries (primarily South America), has little impact on DVC as i imagine the the majority of DVC owners and renters are stateside.

Another reason given for the decrease is that some are waiting for 2019 when Star Wars Land opens. If someone was to ask me if they should go to WDW now or wait until 2019, and they were not the type the goes every year, I would probably tell them to wait until 2019. I haven't heard anyone on this board note of having a harder time securing renters (and the rental prices don't reflect that), but I am wondering if that is in fact the case. I imagine that DVC renters are a different bunch and are usually the type that go often. But as we get into 2018 with Star Wars Land opening a year away, does anyone think that rentals will be impacted? Along those lines, I'm wondering what the spec rentals for reservations (particularly at BWV and BCV) will be for opening week for Star Wars Land. One thing I could also certainly see, is a continuation of some of the perks to lure DVC and AP holders to spend their money at WDW during 2018.

I've also seen some comments that due to changing school schedules and the realization by many that WDW in summer is just too hot, that there has been a shift in attendance towards the fall months from summer. The summer black out dates of the Florida APs also play a role as well. I'm wondering if rentals have been affected in any way where there has been more of a demand for Fall/Winter dates vs. Summer rates. Additionally, I'm wondering if other owners have changed their habits in any way. Is anyone seeing more availability in the summer for DVC reservations then in years past? (It seems to me that October and December have always been tough DVC reservations). if there were a shift (which is a big if), would Disney want to revisit the points charts to entice more summer visitors? This is all a bit of speculation but I was curious what other owners thought.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
DBridge
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

My wife and I were there 2 weeks ago and couldn't believe how slow it was. When we arrived at the airport, we got on the Magical Express to WL and were the only ones on the bus. I remarked to her that we might be sitting here awhile waiting for others, but the driver got on the bus and said "welp, we're off to the Wilderness Lodge". I can't say we've ever had our own private Magical Express.

The crowds seemed low and the waits reasonable. We even got reservations at V&A a week in advance.
DBridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

Another factor is Park prices. WDW tiered their pricing and have historically raised prices way above inflation. This was to keep park revenue up and trim some attendance.

I know some DVC owners that have been doing no park stays. Mainly for the reason you already stated.

Disney is teetering on a price ledge. IMO. And it will impact DVC resales/sales if it tips. The truth is that DVC owners usually have the cash to spend on parks so they will feel it but still will go. And renters are going to have the cash as well. Or they would do value.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

i glad to see some cap on the "madness."

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Skip, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToTheMouse View Post
WDW tiered their pricing and have historically raised prices way above inflation.
Only 1-day tickets have seasonal pricing.

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
Only 1-day tickets have seasonal pricing.
Say what you are trying to say?
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToTheMouse View Post
Say what you are trying to say?
You said that WDW has tiered ticket pricing. That's only true for 1 day tickets where pricing is based on Value, Regular or Peak Seasons.

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Disney has been struggling with attendance for over a year now.

I have been writing and saying the past few years that Disney's pricing and cutting will hurt them in the long run. What Disney management does not get is that the average family going to Disney (cash reservations) plan those trips 1-3 years out. Now the trip planning cycle has finally come full circle and you are finally seeing the attendance drop.

The talk about people not coming because of Star Wars opening is 2019 is just a "PR" excuse. Putting blame on something other then themselves.

Let the discounts keep rolling in.....I will be there in October, hoping to get some 30%, free apps, etc discounts.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
Mass Transit
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
My wife and I were there 2 weeks ago and couldn't believe how slow it was. When we arrived at the airport, we got on the Magical Express to WL and were the only ones on the bus. I remarked to her that we might be sitting here awhile waiting for others, but the driver got on the bus and said "welp, we're off to the Wilderness Lodge". I can't say we've ever had our own private Magical Express.

The crowds seemed low and the waits reasonable. We even got reservations at V&A a week in advance.
Good for you two!
Every time we get on Magical Express at MCO, we wait, and wait, and wait. I've wondered if they leave at a predetermined time, or once the bus is full..

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

I stalk the Magic Guide for WDW app for wait times. Now I know they arent exact but the wait times are really high. Now "major ride" is less than 40 minutes, right now at MK. If so slow, would there not be less wait times?

Or is WDW just not putting out as many ride vehicles?

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote