home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Jeremyj
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Changing motels at 7 months out

I just have a quick question about changing dvc motels at 7 months out. I am in contact with a person who is graciously willing to sell me there points, but their home resort is different then the one we would like. They say that 7 months out they would be able to switch the reservation to our preferred motel. I'm just not sure if I wait until 7 month that there would still be availability?

Looking to stay at Poly studio June 3-6, 2018. Does anyone know if that resort is normally booked out at the 7 month mark?

Thank you,
Jeremyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
ealvarado8899
Two Bedroom

7 months out for Poly in early June should be no problem. However, there are never guarantees.
2009 - Off site - Christmas
2012 - Polynesian - October
2015 - Art of Animation - Christmas week
2016 - Purchase DVC!
2016 - SSR - Thanksgiving Week
2017 - SSR - June
2017 - BWV - June
2018 - SSR - March - Spring Break

----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
mustinjourney
Two Bedroom

And the majority of DVC rooms are not considered motels.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
DisPoly15
Studio

Booking and then switching just seems like a huge hassle. Why not just wait for your 7 month window to open in November and book once. Give the owner a list of preferred rooms in priority and if they can't get Poly you get something else. Having an existing reservation doesn't give you priority to book at 7 months so all you're doing is inconveniencing the owner twice.

Also, you'll be paying big bucks to stay at a deluxe resort, you won't be seeing much of Tom Bodett, though Mickey mouse may leave the light on for you.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
MMC1
Grand Villa

I see this is your first post on MO. I assume you are very new to this process. I hope you have read all the precautions and advice for renting points from strangers. The fact that you are calling DVC a motel and someone will sell points sounds strange. Normally the description would be renting points for a Villa or studio . I hope you continue your discussion here for more info before making a payment exchange.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
jnoel
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
I see this is your first post on MO. I assume you are very new to this process. I hope you have read all the precautions and advice for renting points from strangers. The fact that you are calling DVC a motel and someone will sell points sounds strange. Normally the description would be renting points for a Villa or studio . I hope you continue your discussion here for more info before making a payment exchange.
Sound advise right there
jnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

exercise prudence.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Djohn06
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
7 months out for Poly in early June should be no problem. However, there are never guarantees.
Good advice to follow. I will just add that in my experience, early June is a great time to grab a resort at 7 months.

What resort are you booking at 7 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisPoly15 View Post
Booking and then switching just seems like a huge hassle. Why not just wait for your 7 month window to open in November and book once. Give the owner a list of preferred rooms in priority and if they can't get Poly you get something else. Having an existing reservation doesn't give you priority to book at 7 months so all you're doing is inconveniencing the owner twice.

I rent my points out and have done this before. As an owner, personally I don't mind booking at 11 and WL or making another reservation at 7 months for a renter. I typically do not take money from a renter until I provide a confirmation. This allows me to get all of my money at 11 months.

I tell the renter 7 months is best efforts for your resort of choice and my contract is stated as such. Depending on my point total, sometimes I have enough points that I don't have to do a WL. I can just book at 7 with another set of points (typically under a different use year). If I get their resort at 7, I can cancel the original reservation that they wanted. Again, this works extremely well when you have multiple use years as there is no risk of losing bankable points. Also, if I had to borrow points to make a reservation for someone, I would book at 7 and WL only.

Quote:
Great advice to heed.

Djohn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
ealvarado8899
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
And the majority of DVC rooms are not considered motels.
My daughter and I had a long discussion about motels/hotels/resorts on our last trip to WDW. I think the term motel has kind of gone by the wayside over the years, but I think everyone knew what they meant. No big deal.
2009 - Off site - Christmas
2012 - Polynesian - October
2015 - Art of Animation - Christmas week
2016 - Purchase DVC!
2016 - SSR - Thanksgiving Week
2017 - SSR - June
2017 - BWV - June
2018 - SSR - March - Spring Break

----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:

As stated above, please make sure you read the 'stickies' on the R/T board. They are there for a reason.
I am not sure if this is your description or the renters about changing your reservation with no problem. Can it be done, yes. But if you are being guaranteed it can be switched at 7 months, run. The Poly has been booked at times when people think there would be availability. Even the high point bungalows many times only have limited availability.
If you really want to stay at the Poly, then rent from someone who owns the Poly and has the 11 month booking window or contact a broker and rent from them. If not, then wait till 7 months out and book.
The Poly and all the DVC resorts are not motels, if the price is a 'motel' price per point.... Run. Nobody, is renting Poly points at motel prices and they usually go for more per point than other DVC resorts. You are renting points for your stay, not buying or being sold points.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote