home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
taccol
One Bedroom

Default PayPal Lessons Learned

I'm coming off a 4 day fiasco with PayPal regarding activity on my PayPal Business Account. I've learned some valuable lessons and wanted to share a little bit of what I've learned. I know there have been several discussions, over the years, about using PayPal for "timeshare" rentals, however, I did receive confirmation (because my transactions were honored) that the way DVC rentals work with the exchange/rental of POINTS and immediate access to those points, even if the rental is months away, that PayPal is an acceptable method as long as certain rules are followed. Here are my take aways:

1. Invoicing (not friends and family) is the preferred method to be used to have a renter pay for rental of vacation points.

2. Friends and family used for vacation points, essentially provides a "work around" to avoid paying fees and is frowned upon by PayPal. It is in my contract (as a way to avoid fees) and it is now removed per my discussions with PayPal.

3. Telling the renter that they will have to pay the 2.9-3.0% fee for a transaction is also not allowed. It is then considered a "surcharge" by PayPal.

4. There is a way to invoice and accept payment directly and avoid having a 3-5 day delay from renters. Most renters payments will be converted to e-checks if they are not regular users of PayPal, if they do not have a credit card attached to their account, or if they are not verified. You can make it so that your PayPal account "blocks" e-check payments.

5. Once my account was placed under review for increased activity, and I submitted contracts. I was still told that I had no protection under PayPal as a "seller". They only thing that provided protection (and totally squashed the limitations that were placed on my account) was the confirmation email from Disney that showed that the renter was in "possession" of the points on the same day as payment.

These are the major take aways I can remember. I already know that many of you do not use PayPal and I also know the various reason why. But for those of us who do continue to use PayPal, I wanted to share what I learned over the past few days.

I really took persistence and a lot of time to clarify with PayPal that even thought this is a "vacation rental", it is indeed an exchange of "real goods"--in the form of "points", which in PayPal's eyes was enough to warrant "seller protection" on my payments (a HUGE WIN). I was, however, informed as stated before, that using invoicing is the BEST and preferred route for payment.

The selection for review by PayPal is based on an algorithm that looks at increased activity. For those of us who do rentals seasonally, it is possible to add an alert to your PayPal account that advises of your "projected seasons of increased activity". It doesn't totally avert the alert, but it could stop a full limitation of your account once the alert is review by the account security team at PayPal.

I hope this information is helpful to someone. I have rented points, been a renter of points, transferred points, and needed transfers of points...I've done it all using PayPal. So, PLEASE don't chastise me for using PayPal, it is my preferred method of payment for many reasons EVEN with the drama I've dealt with in the past few days. I learned a lot and have revised my method of PayPal acceptance.

șoș
Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

Thanks for posting your experience. I recently read the PayPal terms and was wondering if the protections extended to rent or transfer of points. The protections seem a very important piece for both parties. I've taken transfers in the past and used Amex. There's a fee involved there as well. Not as high as PayPal but many owners aren't set up to take amex.
littlelulu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Maddismom
One Bedroom

Thank you for the useful information. I for one LOVE Paypal! It's so easy and we have it linked to our credit card and bank account for various purchases. I have also found them to be helpful when issues arise as well.
Maddismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
anne122679
One Bedroom

Thanks for the info.

I had someone steal my info and open up a PayPal credit card in my name. The only reason I found out about it was because the email address the thief put down to send the statements to was invalid, so I was mailed a statement. PayPal was really easy to work with in getting the issue resolved and making sure that it wouldn't appear on my credit report.
anne122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
disney65
Grand Villa

It is in black and white written in PayPal policy they do not allow timeshare transaction.

Recent policy updates said the same think, I do not know if someone just let it go for the moment but I would not count on it.

I had the similar situation when account was frozen but I had to return all the funds to get the ban lifted.

Yes I did sent them invoices written clearly for dvc points.

So I will continue not yo use PayPal.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
It is in black and white written in PayPal policy they do not allow timeshare transaction.

Recent policy updates said the same think, I do not know if someone just let it go for the moment but I would not count on it.

I had the similar situation when account was frozen but I had to return all the funds to get the ban lifted.

Yes I did sent them invoices written clearly for dvc points.

So I will continue not yo use PayPal.
no paypal ever for me for rentals. i sell flatware on ebay and take paypal there. that's it. give me a check iffin you don't mind. if you do, move along.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

If what the Paypal rep told you is true, then they really need to remove the language that says timeshare transactions are not allowed. Until then, any such timeshare transaction is still against their written policy.
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by taccol View Post
3. Telling the renter that they will have to pay the 2.9-3.0% fee for a transaction is also not allowed. It is then considered a "surcharge" by PayPal.

5. Once my account was placed under review for increased activity, and I submitted contracts. I was still told that I had no protection under PayPal as a "seller". They only thing that provided protection (and totally squashed the limitations that were placed on my account) was the confirmation email from Disney that showed that the renter was in "possession" of the points on the same day as payment.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you expand on these 2 points mentioned?
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #9
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

No PayPal. It feels like " big brother" is watching. Don't like all the rules. They aren't providing me any protection worth dealing with all of that.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
WooClan
One Bedroom

Default It goes both ways no?

I know there is no protection for sellers but I believe there is no protection for buyer either?