home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Site / Forum News and Events
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
JudieHopps
Studio

Default It's official? Not a noob anymore? Not!

Well, I made it to studio status. Yay!
But I must say, I'm still a noob. I have so much to learn and I thank everyone out there for sharing their knowledge with me and with everyone else.
So with that, I just wanted to share a bit more of who I am.

I love the feeling of and being at Disney.
I am who I am, yet different when I'm there. I can't describe it.

I did introduce myself on the welcome page when I joined, but only briefly. So I thought I would share a little more.
It all began when when my husband Dave and I stayed at the Yacht Club in 2011 as a LONG awaited Honeymoon, if you want to call it that. We married in 2002 , both in our 40's, never been married and no children. Both work constraints and family were a huge pull on our life and direction.
We both had many trips with family in our younger years, but THIS trip to Disney was a REAWAKENING!
Hook, line and sinker, a fabulous trip it was.
We came home and ...
We researched and researched, thought and planned and finally bought our first dvc contract in 2015 for 200 points at BCV and quickly added another 110 at AKV.
And then, Apparently the flood gates opened!
Dang, I'm already loosing track of our trips, between our trips and the ones with our family we have had a quite a few adventures. Dave and I are heading to F&G in 8 days! Can't wait!
Then back again in Sept for MNSSHP with our niece and back again in November and MVMCP for our 3rd and now yearly "Aniversary" time" since we were married the week before Christmas... our favorite time of year!

I enjoy this board and all of you associated with it. I enjoy the humor, wit and strait forwardness that you all share.
I can only hope to earn your respect as I continue to learn and participate.
Now my corny side says... oh teach me ObiWan!
....Sorry had to do it
Thank you all for being there, I can't tell you how much I have learned and still need to learn.
Thank you all so much!

Ret
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
But I must say, I'm still a noob. I have so much to learn and I thank everyone out there for sharing their knowledge with me and with everyone else.

I did introduce myself on the welcome page when I joined, but only briefly. So I thought I would share a little more.
It all began when when my husband Dave and I stayed at the Yacht Club in 2011 as a LONG awaited Honeymoon, if you want to call it that. We married in 2002 , both in our 40's, never been married and no children. Both work constraints and family were a huge pull on our life and direction.
We both had many trips with family in our younger years, but THIS trip to Disney was a REAWAKENING!
We came home and ...
We researched and researched, thought and planned and finally bought our first dvc contract in 2015 for 200 points at BCV and quickly added another 110 at AKV.
Dang, I'm already loosing track of our trips, between our trips and the ones with our family we have had a quite a few adventures. Dave and I are heading to F&G in 8 days! Can't wait!
Then back again in Sept for MNSSHP with our niece and back again in November and MVMCP for our 3rd and now yearly "Aniversary" time" since we were married the week before Christmas... our favorite time of year!

I enjoy this board and all of you associated with it. I enjoy the humor, wit and strait forwardness that you all share.
....Sorry had to do it
Thank you all for being there, I can't tell you how much I have learned and still need to learn.
Thank you all so much!

Ret
Congratulations on your "promotion", and thanks for sharing with us. I'm another one of those people who transforms when at Disney. My kids used to look at me like, "who are you and where is my Mom?" I'm headed down in 26 days for my first F&G! Can't wait!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
broganmc
Grand Villa

Welcome aboard!

I get what you mean that you're different in Disney. I see that a lot with my dad (nicknamed Grandpa Mohawk around here). I think my mom said it best. When my dad is in Disney, he becomes a little kid again.

Long version of that story goes back to 2003. We were just beginning to go to Disney every year and taking family with us. My siblings' kids were small. We're talking babies and toddlers with some 1st graders. We all went to Crystal Palace to celebrate my dad and brother's birthday. (They share the same birthday which means it's the one adult birthday our family ALWAYS celebrates. Two birds, one stone.) Well the characters came around for their Birthday March and handed out instruments to the birthday boys. Here's my dad, 71 at the time, hopping up and dancing around the restaurant with a bunch of little kids shaking a maraca in time to the music. My mom caught it all on videotape. When we got home a week later and I was helping her transfer the video, she saw my dad dancing around with Winnie the Pooh and a big ol' smile on his face. She broke out in tears. Happy tears. "That's why I married that man!" At home he can be this serious, studious curmudgeon. He's a PhD, scientist and business owner who still works every day at 85 years young. I hear his grumbles plenty. Down in Disney, he turns into this happy, carefree kid who still marvels at fireworks and fairy tales. And he loves the compliments on his Disney hairdoo.

I think we get so hard on Disney around here because we are addicted to the magic and notice when it doesn't perfectly sparkle. But the truth is, Disney still has plenty of magic to spare.

I hope you enjoy the Flower & Garden. I think you'll find the display is especially gorgeous this year. Seems like they added more gardens to it. We loved having the additional food kiosks too. Yeah, I know it's a moneymaking venture but the seasonal treats make it more festive. I love the candied strawberries from China. Give them a try. You get 4-5 huge strawberries on a skewer, all dipped in caramel and frozen. (Frozen just enough to keep the caramel crunchy but not freeze the strawberries solid.)

Currently: Home
Next Disney Trip: October 1-28, 2017
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
JudieHopps
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Congratulations on your "promotion", and thanks for sharing with us. I'm another one of those people who transforms when at Disney. My kids used to look at me like, "who are you and where is my Mom?" I'm headed down in 26 days for my first F&G! Can't wait!
Thank you!
And I know of what you speak! It's a beautiful thing , being in the moment!
Have fun at F&G ..I'm with ya, caint wait!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
JudieHopps
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
Welcome aboard!

I get what you mean that you're different in Disney. I see that a lot with my dad (nicknamed Grandpa Mohawk around here). I think my mom said it best. When my dad is in Disney, he becomes a little kid again.

Long version of that story goes back to 2003. We were just beginning to go to Disney every year and taking family with us. My siblings' kids were small. We're talking babies and toddlers with some 1st graders. We all went to Crystal Palace to celebrate my dad and brother's birthday. (They share the same birthday which means it's the one adult birthday our family ALWAYS celebrates. Two birds, one stone.) Well the characters came around for their Birthday March and handed out instruments to the birthday boys. Here's my dad, 71 at the time, hopping up and dancing around the restaurant with a bunch of little kids shaking a maraca in time to the music. My mom caught it all on videotape. When we got home a week later and I was helping her transfer the video, she saw my dad dancing around with Winnie the Pooh and a big ol' smile on his face. She broke out in tears. Happy tears. "That's why I married that man!" At home he can be this serious, studious curmudgeon. He's a PhD, scientist and business owner who still works every day at 85 years young. I hear his grumbles plenty. Down in Disney, he turns into this happy, carefree kid who still marvels at fireworks and fairy tales. And he loves the compliments on his Disney hairdoo.

I think we get so hard on Disney around here because we are addicted to the magic and notice when it doesn't perfectly sparkle. But the truth is, Disney still has plenty of magic to spare.

I hope you enjoy the Flower & Garden. I think you'll find the display is especially gorgeous this year. Seems like they added more gardens to it. We loved having the additional food kiosks too. Yeah, I know it's a moneymaking venture but the seasonal treats make it more festive. I love the candied strawberries from China. Give them a try. You get 4-5 huge strawberries on a skewer, all dipped in caramel and frozen. (Frozen just enough to keep the caramel crunchy but not freeze the strawberries solid.)
Grandpa Mohawk, I've heard of his adventures!
Thank you so much and what a great story!
I'm sure you realize what a fabulous family you have. Just too cool.
You said it about about the money, but also true enough as you said...
Disney magic is real, of that I'm am sure.

And I'll give the China strawberries a try.
My new motto is ...I'm trying it all,
One trip at a time!

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Ret,

I strongly suggest you somehow make a record of your trips.
It can be as little as a single line in a list of trips, recording dates and where you stayed. Or it can be folder labeled by month & year, containing all the planning documents for that trip. (Hint: I do both!)

Someday you will be glad you did!
... and it's never necessary to apologize for a Star Wars reference!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
JudieHopps
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Ret,

I strongly suggest you somehow make a record of your trips.
It can be as little as a single line in a list of trips, recording dates and where you stayed. Or it can be folder labeled by month & year, containing all the planning documents for that trip. (Hint: I do both!)

Someday you will be glad you did!
... and it's never necessary to apologize for a Star Wars reference!
Thank you!
And we do plan to. We just keep pushing it aside.
We have all the info in folders by year. We just haven't put it in a usable format for quick reference yet. I do like the idea of just listing the trips.
We are getting there.
But I do agree and thank you, it should be done.

....And duly noted!

Ret
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #8
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

We came home and ...

....Sorry had to do it
Thank you all so much!

Ret

Congratulations on your status! And thanks for sharing, always enjoy learning more about each other.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
alwddd
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Student becomes the teacher? :-)

Quote:
I have been reading off and on for a while, and now I understand why I'm still listed as a n00b!! Thanks, Ret for your post, and for making me feel brave enough to lurk no longer...
I hope you have a wonderful time!

My husband and I bought at BWV not too long ago and have already been struck by addonitis. We are awaiting ROFR for a small 80 contract at Poly.

I am headed to MNSSHP Oct 25 (mother/daughter trip this time) and am already counting the days. I simply love the magic of being at Disney as well.

Thanks for all the informative, funny and supportive posts. I truly enjoy passing the time reading here.

Alicia

PS ...so tempted to ask where the rental offerings are, but would hate to poke the bear on my second post... lol 😂

DS DH
alwddd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #10
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwddd View Post
I have been reading off and on for a while, and now I understand why I'm still listed as a n00b!! Thanks, Ret for your post, and for making me feel brave enough to lurk no longer...
I hope you have a wonderful time!

My husband and I bought at BWV not too long ago and have already been struck by addonitis. We are awaiting ROFR for a small 80 contract at Poly.

I am headed to MNSSHP Oct 25 (mother/daughter trip this time) and am already counting the days. I simply love the magic of being at Disney as well.

Thanks for all the informative, funny and supportive posts. I truly enjoy passing the time reading here.

Alicia

PS ...so tempted to ask where the rental offerings are, but would hate to poke the bear on my second post... lol ��
The bear left us specific instructions to mock, ridicule, and scorn all transgressors. Don't do it, girl!

And... Welcome aboard!