home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
FreakyApe
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default DVC guide communications methods?

So whenever I try to email our guide anything of meaning (what's available for sale, waitlists, etc.), he says he can only answer those questions over the phone.

My wife and I like to be in on all communications together, but that's just not often possible during anything resembling business hours. So email works much better for us. Plus, it's 2017, I don't think I'm alone in preferring email.

So is this phone mandate because my guide is lazy or a poor typist? Or is this a truly enforced directive?
FreakyApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
jsweeney
One Bedroom

Not super experienced at this, but every time I've ever emailed my guide he responds with whatever information I ask. There are times he calls instead of responds to email, which may just be his way of not saying I can't say this over email.
2007: Boardwalk GV
2007-2011: Annual trips to Night of Joy
2010: Port Orleans to run Disney Half Marathon
2014: Day trip to all parks with siblings
Jan. 2017: Fort Wilderness w/DW for first time
Jan. 2018: VGC - first trip to DL!

Me: Jimmy , DW
jsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
Breyean
One Bedroom

They do this for legal reasons. If they say something to you over the phone, there's no record if they misstate something. I've even been told by a guide their outgoing emails have to pass through legal before they are sent.

My sister bought BLT from our guide just as it was selling out. He emailed her the prices and then she called him to buy. He said he had made a mistake in the email and had quoted her the current member pricing rather than new member pricing, w/o noting it. She wasn't a member yet, so he said he couldn't give her the member price.

She spoke to a supervisor and got the points at the price in the email, but only after she produced it for them. At first they weren't going to believe her w/o written proof, but once she forwarded them the email, they did.

I doubt you'll ever get any substantive questions answered via email.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

OP, my guide does the same. She will call anytime I email any question.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s): Oct 1-8 at BWV/AKV and Dec 30-Jan 4 at OKW/PVB and March 3-10 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
They do this for legal reasons. If they say something to you over the phone, there's no record if they misstate something. I've even been told by a guide their outgoing emails have to pass through legal before they are sent.

My sister bought BLT from our guide just as it was selling out. He emailed her the prices and then she called him to buy. He said he had made a mistake in the email and had quoted her the current member pricing rather than new member pricing, w/o noting it. She wasn't a member yet, so he said he couldn't give her the member price.

She spoke to a supervisor and got the points at the price in the email, but only after she produced it for them. At first they weren't going to believe her w/o written proof, but once she forwarded them the email, they did.

I doubt you'll ever get any substantive questions answered via email.
This is exactly what I was going to say. They don't want it in writing and I don't blame them for that.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
MOTed
One Bedroom

Me too. My guide always responds with a phone call.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
brp
Add-on Aficionado

The best communication from a salesguide is...none.

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
Boz
Studio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
The best communication from a salesguide is...none.

Cheers.
And that's exactly what I get from our guide. {{{crickets}}}

Our original guide used to call us on our birthdays, when we checked in to a resort, and often just to say Hi. She left to become a full time momma. We've had two replacements since then. Guide 2 called once or twice in two years, and guide 3 has never called since we inherited him two years ago.

Cruise Fanatics -
Feb '05 - Magic 7 night Eastern; Jan '07 - Wonder 3 night Nassau; Feb '09 - Magic 7 night Western; Oct '09 - Wonder 3 night Nassau; May '11 - Dream 4 night Nassau; Sept '11 - Dream DVC Member 4 night; Feb '13 - Fantasy 7 night, Eastern; Aug '15 - Dream DVC Member 4 night; May '16 - Magic 14 night EB Transatlantic; Dec '16 - Dream 3 night Nassau; Mar '17 - NCL Pearl, 10 night Panama Canal
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
And that's exactly what I get from our guide. {{{crickets}}}

Our original guide used to call us on our birthdays, when we checked in to a resort, and often just to say Hi. She left to become a full time momma. We've had two replacements since then. Guide 2 called once or twice in two years, and guide 3 has never called since we inherited him two years ago.
We had a salesleech that assigned herself to us after we looked at a property with Disney. She used to leave messages when we stayed even though we only bought resale. I guess she eventually got the message and stopped.

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Mine answers me when I need him, and periodically mails me stuff. Otherwise, he leaves me alone. It works for me.