home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 04-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
FreakyApe
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 23
Default DVC guide communications methods?

So whenever I try to email our guide anything of meaning (what's available for sale, waitlists, etc.), he says he can only answer those questions over the phone.

My wife and I like to be in on all communications together, but that's just not often possible during anything resembling business hours. So email works much better for us. Plus, it's 2017, I don't think I'm alone in preferring email.

So is this phone mandate because my guide is lazy or a poor typist? Or is this a truly enforced directive?
FreakyApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
jsweeney
One Bedroom
 
jsweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 228
Default

Not super experienced at this, but every time I've ever emailed my guide he responds with whatever information I ask. There are times he calls instead of responds to email, which may just be his way of not saying I can't say this over email.
__________________
1994-2009: Bi-yearly camping trips to Fort Wilderness
1998: Animal Kingdom inauguration trip
2005: Wilderness Lodge
2007: Boardwalk GV
2007-2011: Annual trips to Night of Joy
2010: Port Orleans to run Disney Half Marathon
2014: Day trip to all parks with siblings
Jan. 2017: Fort Wilderness w/DW for first time
Jan. 2018: VGC - first trip to DL!

Me: Jimmy , DW
jsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
Breyean
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 457
Default

They do this for legal reasons. If they say something to you over the phone, there's no record if they misstate something. I've even been told by a guide their outgoing emails have to pass through legal before they are sent.

My sister bought BLT from our guide just as it was selling out. He emailed her the prices and then she called him to buy. He said he had made a mistake in the email and had quoted her the current member pricing rather than new member pricing, w/o noting it. She wasn't a member yet, so he said he couldn't give her the member price.

She spoke to a supervisor and got the points at the price in the email, but only after she produced it for them. At first they weren't going to believe her w/o written proof, but once she forwarded them the email, they did.

I doubt you'll ever get any substantive questions answered via email.
__________________
------
Brian
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado
 
Lamima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 5,087
Default

OP, my guide does the same. She will call anytime I email any question.
__________________

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s): Oct 1-8 at BWV/AKV and Dec 30-Jan 4 at OKW/PVB and March 3-10 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 5,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
They do this for legal reasons. If they say something to you over the phone, there's no record if they misstate something. I've even been told by a guide their outgoing emails have to pass through legal before they are sent.

My sister bought BLT from our guide just as it was selling out. He emailed her the prices and then she called him to buy. He said he had made a mistake in the email and had quoted her the current member pricing rather than new member pricing, w/o noting it. She wasn't a member yet, so he said he couldn't give her the member price.

She spoke to a supervisor and got the points at the price in the email, but only after she produced it for them. At first they weren't going to believe her w/o written proof, but once she forwarded them the email, they did.

I doubt you'll ever get any substantive questions answered via email.
This is exactly what I was going to say. They don't want it in writing and I don't blame them for that.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
MOTed
One Bedroom
 
MOTed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 284
Default

Me too. My guide always responds with a phone call.
__________________
Ted
MOTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 13,369
Default

The best communication from a salesguide is...none.

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
Boz
Studio
 
Boz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 116
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
The best communication from a salesguide is...none.

Cheers.
And that's exactly what I get from our guide. {{{crickets}}}

Our original guide used to call us on our birthdays, when we checked in to a resort, and often just to say Hi. She left to become a full time momma. We've had two replacements since then. Guide 2 called once or twice in two years, and guide 3 has never called since we inherited him two years ago.
__________________
Home Resorts ~ Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom, Polynesian and Grand Californian

Cruise Fanatics -
Feb '05 - Magic 7 night Eastern; Jan '07 - Wonder 3 night Nassau; Feb '09 - Magic 7 night Western; Oct '09 - Wonder 3 night Nassau; May '11 - Dream 4 night Nassau; Sept '11 - Dream DVC Member 4 night; Feb '13 - Fantasy 7 night, Eastern; Aug '15 - Dream DVC Member 4 night; May '16 - Magic 14 night EB Transatlantic; Dec '16 - Dream 3 night Nassau; Mar '17 - NCL Pearl, 10 night Panama Canal
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 13,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
And that's exactly what I get from our guide. {{{crickets}}}

Our original guide used to call us on our birthdays, when we checked in to a resort, and often just to say Hi. She left to become a full time momma. We've had two replacements since then. Guide 2 called once or twice in two years, and guide 3 has never called since we inherited him two years ago.
We had a salesleech that assigned herself to us after we looked at a property with Disney. She used to leave messages when we stayed even though we only bought resale. I guess she eventually got the message and stopped.

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
ermindy1133
Grand Villa
 
ermindy1133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,772
Default

Mine answers me when I need him, and periodically mails me stuff. Otherwise, he leaves me alone. It works for me.
__________________
(ME, Mindy) (DH, Tim) (DS, Brandon) (DD, Emily, Emma, or Princess, lol!) (DSGF, Heather)
ermindy1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 AM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.