home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Rocket Supply
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Here is our buying thoughts - let me know if I am missing anuthing

We have been DVC point renters for a number of years and are looking to buy: Here is the scenario for this year:

date: 9/10-9/17
WE needed 118 points for this and a member was able to help us book this within the 7 month window, we were closer to 6 months and they did a great job following up and getting this done. Poly was not the home resort.

What we are looking to buy
150 points,
September contract
Home Resort: Not Poly.

We would have also stayed at Bay lake Tower or some other options but most likely will never look at the home resort (SS) as the first option.

If we have 30 extra points a year we should be able to bank and sell if needed.

Did I miss anything?
Rocket Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
krisephillips
Studio

For value at $/point and life of contract would look at either:

SSR
AKV
BLT

All have longer contracts. AKV has higher maintenance fees then BLT or SSR. SSR is the "most economical". If you really want to stay on the monorail line or between Poly/BLT, would recommend buying BLT. BLT points will rent/sell higher than the other resorts. If home resort does not mean that much and you want the best value, recommend buying at SSR.

We own SSR and I have not had any problems getting other resorts so far at 7 months other than value studios at AKL or standard studios at BLT.

Disney Castaway Club Member-Silver Level.

Last edited by krisephillips; 04-20-2017 at 09:45 AM.
krisephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisephillips View Post
For value at $/point and life of contract would look at either:

SSR
AKL
BLT

All have longer contracts. AKL has higher maintenance fees then BLT or SSR. SSR is the "most economical". If you really want to stay on the monorail line or between Poly/BLT, would recommend buying BLT. BLT points will rent/sell higher than the other resorts. If home resort does not mean that much and you want the best value, recommend buying at SSR.

We own SSR and I have not had any problems getting other resorts so far at 7 months other than value studios at AKL or standard studios at BLT.
I also own at SSR for economic reasons. I have had no issue getting other resorts outside holidays within the 7 month.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Supply View Post
We have been DVC point renters for a number of years and are looking to buy: Here is the scenario for this year:

WE needed 118 points for this and a member was able to help us book this within the 7 month window, we were closer to 6 months and they did a great job following up and getting this done. Poly was not the home resort.

150 points,
September contract

We would have also stayed at Bay lake Tower or some other options but most likely will never look at the home resort (SS) as the first option.

Did I miss anything?

It looks like you are considering SSR as home resort and will be buying resale.
You might want to be flexible in use Year as finding a good not stripped 150 contract is not always easy.

Many fall in the camp of buying where you do not mind staying if there are no other options. BLT is also easier to rent points at the 11-7 month window than SSR.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Do you know what times of year you want to travel?

I ask this because .

BWV/BCV can be challenging to get at 7 months during holidays and Food & Wine. If that is your desired times, you need those points but neither have extended years.

If you are only looking at extended years and you want Monorail, BLT and VGF are your only options. VGF is a small resort for DVC and is tough to get at 7 months. BLTis Larger but man, the studio's are TINY and very poorly desingned (way too much space set aside for Kitchen and Bath and not enough for living area).

SSR is LARGE and almost always avaialbe as 7 months an less except for holidays. Easy walk to Disney Springs as well which adds value. But, it is a bus ride to all parks.

Have you considered finding an OKW extended contract?

AKV, as mentioned, has higher annual fees but is a GREAT Themed resort. We have had no issues at 7 months.

I think if I were you based on what you said, I would be looking at BLT or VGF...

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
MOTed
One Bedroom

When choosing your home resort, also be aware of the resort's contract end date. Newer resorts like BLT, VGF, PVB, and of course CRV, have most of their 50-year life left. However older resorts like BCV and BWV have only 25 years remaining until the contracts expire.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Supply View Post

150 points,
September contract

Did I miss anything?
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it look like you are basing your points needs on staying at the Poly, anticipating that you will be able to get reservations there at the 7 month window. But you don't want to buy at the Poly? Or are you open to staying at any resort, but have determined that roughly 150 points will always meet your needs?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
goldilocks_63
Two Bedroom

Talking What are your favorite parks?

Do you have any favorite parks..?

That will drive where u want to buy ... MK or Epcot?

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
Loro
Grand Villa

BLT is the best of the newer contracts imo, due to its location in proximity to the MK and being on the monorail. I also am quite partial to the resort itself, but it is not for everyone. The resale prices have risen quite sharply to reflect this, and dues have risen dramatically the past couple years as well.

If you want to buy someplace you wouldn't mind staying, BLT sounds about right here based on what you've given us thus far. If you want to go with best value, SSR cannot be beat.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #10
tommyjt24
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I went with BLT because my kids are young and will likely be at MK more than other parks. Pick which resort you would be least upset getting stuck at most of the time.

I put together a slide of the top few I was considering and went over it with the family. Was fun and learned a lot about the resorts.
tommyjt24 is offline   Reply With Quote