home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
LouisianaMike
Studio

Default X-Mas Time at DVC... Are Christmas Decorations allowed??

I know it's early, but I was thinking about this last night since we now have a confirmed reservation at BWV over the X-Mas holidays.

Can you decorate your room (1-bdrm; BW view) with X-Mas decoration to include a small artificial tree?
What about lights (no heat emitting) that plug in to the wall outlets?

What about a wreath on the exterior or interior of the door leading to the hallway?

What about any decorating on the balcony overlooking the Boardwalk?

Thanks for any information you might provide and any tips..

Mike
LouisianaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
BWV2013
Studio

DVC issued a statement a few years ago that Christmas decorations could not be on the balcony or where they were visible from outside the room. This is so they will not distract from the resorts holiday theme. Not sure about lights.
BWV2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

We've definitely done the tree with lights in our room. We've never decorated the outside, though.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Inside decorations are allowed.

Lights and such on the balconies are not allowed. People still decorate themanyway.

Decorations on the door are not allowed, but people will do it anyway.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

2013 at AKV-Kidani we brought small tree with ornaments. And also put clings up on the balcony window/door. I bought it at Target and it fit in suitcase... we flew that trip too and it wasn't an issue. Tree was tiny though. It sat on counter.

I know that other forum has a tree swap at different resorts. Someone sends at tree and ornaments to the resort and they have a thread where you sign up for your time period you are there. You get it from desk or something and then use it and then return to desk at end of trip... or maybe they arrange to swap room to room. Not sure. But that way you get a nice sized tree and don't have to get it there. Maybe that's something that could be done on this forum????

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s): Dec 30-Jan 4 at OKW/PVB, March 3-10 at BWV and Oct 28- Nov 2 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Quellman
Two Bedroom

A few years ago someone had a full sized tree next to us at Bay Lake, made our small tree look smaller.

Use a door hanger for your wreath. Don't leave lights plugged in when you aren't there. Don't use tape or other adhesives. Items on the balcony need to be secured with zip ties or the likes.

I understand what the rules state and your compliance is your choice. I hope that when people see the lights and trees it brightens their day.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
Orion54
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellman View Post
A few years ago someone had a full sized tree next to us at Bay Lake, made our small tree look smaller.

Use a door hanger for your wreath. Don't leave lights plugged in when you aren't there. Don't use tape or other adhesives. Items on the balcony need to be secured with zip ties or the likes.

I understand what the rules state and your compliance is your choice. I hope that when people see the lights and trees it brightens their day.
We see them at BLT and it does brighten the day. We haven't decorated our room before but maybe something to think about on this next trip.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Door hangers are also not allowed.

There are tree exchange threads. There was even some last year, I believe.

We have participated in the tree exchanges, makes for a more festive holiday.

The past few Christmas trips, we took our own tree. Everyone loved having the tree in the room. When the family all goes in 2018, we will have a Christmas Tree again !
Old 04-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #9
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

My hubby and I are heading down in early Dec for our first time ever at WDW when Christmas decorations are up
I was thinking I would take some of those strands of battery operated Christmas lights and some small decorations (like what I would use on the mantle or table top at home). Then put out the small decorations and "weave" the lights in with the decorations. We fly SW, so get the extra bag for free, I figure why not take an extra bag and put Christmas decorations in it

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
tgropp
Studio

We have participated in the Christmas tree exchange from another forum but last time we just went to Walmart and purchased a 5 ft tree, lights and some decorations. We will be doing the same this Christmas. Last time we had an atrium entrance room at VWL and we could see our tree and lights while sitting in the hot tub by the quiet pool.
Dec 2014: VWL
Christmas 2013: VWL / BCV
Feb2013: AKV/Western Fantasy/BCV
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riveria
Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010 : VWL
Nov 2009: BCV :
Dec 2008 : VWL/AKV
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL
Feb 2007: Dolphin/Magic Crusie/VWL/OKW
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL / Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL