home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Welcome to the Forums!
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
administrator
Ms. Personality

Default So, would you like this person to be a member of MO?

I've copied here the correspondence between a new member and me. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I've never before received a tome like this one. What should I do? (Note: correspondence begins at bottom.) And I really am confused and discombobulated.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh? Is that right? I guess among all the millions and millions of words and posts on your site, I must have somehow missed that little detail. Well, same on me! Shame on me for not reading all your millions of words before bothering you. SHAME ON ME; SHAME! Shame on me for not reading every word of every legal agreement I've ever clicked over my many, many years!

Shame on me for bothering you, oh most exalted, wisest of the wise, wizardly and powerful administrator! I bow to your incredible greatness!!!

I'M SO, SO, SOOO SORRY!

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR TRYING TO FOLLOW YOUR RULES — ATTEMPTING TO INTRODUCE MYSELF AS I THOUGHT I SHOULD.

FORGIVE A POOR IGNORANT NOOB FOR NOT KNOWING EVERY SINGLE RULE ON YOUR INCREDIBLE WEBSITE.
I WAS SOOOO WRONG!

Now that we've both equally pissed each other off, can we be friends? Seriously!
I'm really not all that bad—honest! I'm just old and grumpy, with an utterly warped sense of humor.

The solemn truth is that I didn't mean to offend. I really didn't. I thought there was a bug or something. HONEST! I'm a retired programmer, and I value all the hard work administrators do. REALLY!!! HONEST AND TRUE!!! Ever heard of Wang computers? Are you old and ancient like me to know of such things? I was a system administrator on a Wang VS 80, back many decades ago. I know about all the silly complaints you get from cranky, ignorant users. Back in the 90's, I was personally responsible for the support of the plethora of customers in my whole company! (We were a small company, actually—so I think we may have had a couple dozen customers altogether. Ha!)

I'm also an avid Disneyland buff. I literally know the location of every single bathroom in the park. (Very handy when you have small children.) I was there in 1967 when they opened the new Tomorrowland for the first time. (Even though I was still very sad Walt had just passed.) I took a behind-the-scenes VIP tour at WDW, including their computer facilities. (A lifelong dream of mine, realized at last! And no longer available to the general public, I might add.)

I was born the same year Disneyland opened, so fate brought me and Disneyland together. (I could also mention I was being constructed at the very same time Disneyland was, but I won't bring that up in case you're queasy.)

Still not convinced? Okay, here's my one last try at making up…
When I was in college, we had an IBM 360 computer to learn on. I was there day and night, with the student volunteers. Punching my programs into the dead of night. (Okay, they closed the computer room around 9pm, so maybe not all that late.) Okay, okay… But this is what I'm getting to, so bear with me to the bare end… On that computer, the system file names were allowed to be just long enough to use the following name, which I have remembered to this very day: BASHFUL-DOC-DOPEY-GRUMPY-HAPPY-SLEEPY-SNEEZY You'll notice I spared no effort in putting them all in alphabetical order.

How could you not forgive a guy like me? For god's sake, have pity on me…I suffer from that dreaded of all geekly diseases: Sheldon-itis.

Sincerely,
NEW MEMBER (my real name, btw)
Quote:
On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Webmaster <webmaster@mouseowners.com> wrote:

We indicate, AT REGISTRATION, that all new memberships MUST BE APPROVED by the administrator. If your inability to post made you feel unwelcome, then your inability to read the rules irritated me. So, we're pretty much even. Have a magcial day.

Quote:
On 4/8/17 8:43 AM, NEW MEMBER @ The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World wrote:

The following message was sent to you via the The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World Contact Us form by NEW MEMBER ( mailto:deleted ).

--------------------------------

I just registered, and my membership successfully activated. But when I went to "Please introduce yourself here at the Welcome Board!", I discovered I'm not authorized to do that. It didn't make me feel very welcome, that's for sure. :-(

--------------------------------

Referring Page: deleted
IP Address: deleted
User Name: deleted
User ID: deleted
Email: deleted
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

I think we should welcome him. He sounds like he needs a Snickers and a trip to Disney.
He did say he has Sheldonitis and I like Sheldon.
Just my humble opinion, but we all can't be sugar and spice
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
BWV2013
Studio

That is a little strange! If you do approve him can we start a pool on how long it takes for him to get suspended or banned?
BWV2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

just me, i'd mark this as spam and never reply and never remove ban. time is a precious resource.

i get this kinda crap all the time selling flatware. i do a quick reply if any and any future contact is marked as spam. and i never ever do business with anyone who writes without reading my policies that would clearly answer the question...block on ebay and decline purchase on etsy. there's something wrong with people who do this stuff.

take a look at this recent exchange (today was the last contact).

Hello
My name is Melissa, and I am contacting you in regards to your supply of the,
Oneida Kennett Square Distinction Deluxe Flatware.
I am in search for flatware and dishes, and a specific pattern in both items. The flatware I was trying to match closely to another, and was able to do so, but then I happened across the actual pattern itself and after that searched elsewhere for it!!
I noticed that you have: On EBay, FOUR seven piece settings for $179.99, on Etsy, THREE seven piece settings for $129.99, a serving set for $79.99, and then the odd number group for $79.99. I am wanting a service for 8, but hoping for a service for 12.
There is another listing for a 7 piece service for 4 like yours, but they are only asking $100.00 for theirs. There is also another listing for an 8piece serving set for $80. I provided pictures for both, at the top is an attachment. I can also purchase a very similar pattern brand new with more pieces and cheaper than what I'm doing!
So, to the ultimate point and proposed offer/request I would like to make is,
Purchasing the other 28piece set for $100
Purchasing YOUR 28piece set (the eBay one) for $100
This gives me the 7 piece service for 8
Purchasing YOUR 21piece/7piece service for 3, and YOUR 7 piece Serving Set together for $100 total.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, AS I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE IMMEDIATELY!
Thank you, and most sincerely,
Melissa Tomlin
User-uploaded image

Sender: Barbara Ann Date: 2 days ago 8:11am EDT
Message: i have listings on etsy and ebay for this pattern. if you want what i have listed, just buy it/them. i don't do custom orders, nor do i negotiate price... as i say on both sites in my policies.

Sender: Melissa
Message: I'm just seeing this message, and before reading it I was going to apologize to you. I came and looked to see if you had replied and fully ready to apologize for rudely making an offer and then taking so long to look for the response. I also was going to explain why.
After reading your note I doubt you thought my absence was rude, but as a Christian, I do feel it so. I do very much apologize for my untimely response. Why doesn't matter nor an excuse, so I will spare you the time.
Now that I have cleared up that, I would like to thank you! My apology had two parts, and thankfully, that part wasn't needed! I thank you for turning down my offer as coldly as you did, because I now do not have to feel bad telling you that I found a complete set, 12-13 of each item, serving set, and in a beautiful case! It was also cheaper than the offer I made you! So, happy luck, thank you again for just being you, and God bless you and your family!
Most sincerely,
Melissa

Sender: Barbara Ann Date: 8 hours ago 7:34am EDT

Barbara Ann

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Meaghanqt
Grand Villa

He does seem invested in the subject matter and certainly has some spunk. I vote let him in.
Meaghanqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
I've copied here the correspondence between a new member and me. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I've never before received a tome like this one. What should I do? (Note: correspondence begins at bottom.) And I really am confused and discombobulated.
Give him another chance . I am guessing the autistic spectrum or perhaps just a strange sense if humor. He will be interesting to say the least .
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
hilaw
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV2013 View Post
That is a little strange! If you do approve him can we start a pool on how long it takes for him to get suspended or banned?

My first thought was with you here.

Give this person a chance. Sometimes first impressions are incorrect.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
Dana
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaghanqt View Post
He does seem invested in the subject matter and certainly has some spunk. I vote let him in.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
Tessa
Two Bedroom

He made me laugh- If I had a vote, I would say to give him a chance.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #10
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

I say let the guy in. And then (temporarily) reopen the political thread and turn him loose.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote