home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #1
littlelulu01
Studio

Default Question about holding points

So... my daughter moved to Alaska after graduating college. Of course this was for a boy in the armed forces. He was deployed right after she moved up there and she decided to tough it out alone while he was gone because she got a good job. He's been gone for 6 months and was due to come back soon. I gave them a companion airfare and got them a room at Aulani with my points so they could have a vacation upon his return and something for her to look forward to after this lonely cold first winter in Alaska.

We just found out He's most likely not returning now in time for the planned vacation and we have no idea when he's coming home. I'm heart broken for her but also trying to salvage anything I can. I read the companion fare rules and looking like the airfare will be a loss. I'm less than 30 days out on Aulani check in.

The points are December 2016. If I cancel less than 30 days I understand the points go into holding. So am I right that the holding points can't be banked? If not then I have until November 30 to use and they can only be used for stays booked 60 days or less advance? And one more question. Can holding points be used for hotel stays such as at the Disneyland hotel? Just trying to figure out potential options to use them prior to expiration. They're direct purchase points so normally would be able to use but I have no idea if holding points can be used this way.

Thanks in advance.
littlelulu01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelulu01 View Post

The points are December 2016. If I cancel less than 30 days I understand the points go into holding. Correct So am I right that the holding points can't be banked? Correct If not then I have until November 30 to use and they can only be used for stays booked 60 days or less advance? Correct again And one more question. Can holding points be used for hotel stays such as at the Disneyland hotel? Yes they can since they are qualified for the Disney collection. The 60 days in advance still applies. Just trying to figure out potential options to use them prior to expiration. They're direct purchase points so normally would be able to use but I have no idea if holding points can be used this way.

Thanks in advance.
Answered above.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
littlelulu01
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Answered above.
Thanks so much. Perhaps a weekend trip to Disneyland will be in order. We recently returned and I ended up with a couple unused park tickets that are burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 AM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks so much. Perhaps a weekend trip to Disneyland will be in order. We recently returned and I ended up with a couple unused park tickets that are burning a hole in my pocket.
You might check the VGC availability now and then too - it changes quite a bit even close to check in dates.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:04 AM   #5
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Quote:
The points are December 2016. If I cancel less than 30 days I understand the points go into holding. So am I right that the holding points can't be banked? If not then I have until November 30 to use and they can only be used for stays booked 60 days or less advance? And one more question. Can holding points be used for hotel stays such as at the Disneyland hotel? Just trying to figure out potential options to use them prior to expiration. They're direct purchase points so normally would be able to use but I have no idea if holding points can be used this way.

Thanks in advance.
DVC points may be used for the Disney Collection (including the Disneyland Hotel) as long as the contract was bought direct from Disney, or if via resale, purchased by March 21, 2011.
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:57 AM   #6
Crafty
Grand Villa

I would try calling member services and explaining that the change was a military issue. They might allow you to bank the points. Worth a try. Good luck.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #7
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I would try calling member services and explaining that the change was a military issue. They might allow you to bank the points. Worth a try. Good luck.
Agree. Doesn't hurt to try, and you might get some pixie dust blown your way.
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #8
anne122679
One Bedroom

If MS doesn't blow pixie dust your way, another thing you can do is book a trip now before those points expire, and when you get within your 60 day departure window call MS and have them use the holding points for that particular reservation.
anne122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
littlelulu01
Studio

All good ideas. Thanks. Fingers crossed he makes it back in time.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
DVC DAD
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne122679 View Post
If MS doesn't blow pixie dust your way, another thing you can do is book a trip now before those points expire, and when you get within your 60 day departure window call MS and have them use the holding points for that particular reservation.
Are you sure they can do this? If there is no availability at the 60 day mark I wouldn't think they would let you reallocate points in that way.
DVC DAD is offline   Reply With Quote