home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
broganmc
Grand Villa

Default Spring Returns and so do Grandpa Mohawk & BroganMc/Jen

Hey everyone,

Just a quick thread to post some thoughts during our Disney stay. We both had a rough winter with work projects, erratic weather and health dramas. (Mine, this time. My meds caused a GI bleed so I ended up with a night in the ER getting my Dracula's fill of O+.)

We arrived in Orlando yesterday morning just in time for Sunday mass at Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine (by the outlet malls). Did some grocery shopping at Publix and headed over to Bay Lake to check in.

I've discovered a new way of doing our long 3 week trips to Orlando. We're starting off at Bay Lake using whatever points I've got (Saratoga mostly). That way we get a room with a view and can see fireworks or hear the train and ferry whistles blow from our balcony.

The autotrain gets us into Sanford by 8-9am and the drive is about 50 minutes to Orlando. Since that puts us in town by late morning, we figure the room's never gonna be ready. Instead we go to church (our regular habit on Sundays), pick up some perishables and snacks and then arrive in time for our room to be ready.

Rest of the day we unpack, eat in the room, have a visit from a local friend (who houses some of our stuff in her garage) and get the latest on dit for her family (she's gonna be a grandma now!) and watch fireworks in our PJs.

I made it even more relaxing today for my dad. Travel is hardest on him and he's been exceptionally busy last few weeks. Hard to decompress. So I sent him back to bed this morning and went out myself at dawn to capture the sunrise. Just me in my PJs and thousands in their early morning shorts/short sleeves racing off to hit as many rides at the parks as possible.

Instead I got a leisurely cut of hot chocolate and sauntered back to my room to order room service. (Yes, after 10 years of Disney travel, my dad finally let me order room service!)

Food spread was good. A couple fried eggs, 4 pancakes, a whopping big fruit plate and all the condiments we could possible need/want.

Goal is to head out for park Some time for after

I'll post pics when I can. Until then, keep in mind if you're in town between now and April 10, you may bump into us.

Jen')

Currently: Home
Next Disney Trip: October 1-28, 2017
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Karlie
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Enjoy your trip !
Karlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Been a long time Jen, glad to see you and Grandpa are doing well!

Hope your three weeks are fantastic!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Been a long time Jen, glad to see you and Grandpa are doing well!

Hope your three weeks are fantastic!
We're hanging in. Been a weird winter. Last year we skipped our Spring trip entirely and missed the time away. I'm vowing to make this one better. No commando park touring for us. Just easy breezy.

I'm told the parks are supposed to be more crowded this week because the locals are on Spring Break. It was bustling in the resort this morning but the usual rush.

Right now I'm just looking to rest and enjoy the ambiance. I'm really glad we were able to stay at Bay Lake again. (I also booked the first week of October for us here too. At just past the 7 mos. mark too. And we'll be here for NYE this year. Dec 30 - Jan 2 in a BLT room with a view. I've already told our friends we're hosting the official NYE room party.)

At some point we'll get over to Animal Kingdom this trip. Our friends told us we need to try Rivers of Light and give them a review. Pandora is supposed to make that park crazy busy later.

And family and friends are joining us for the weekends, but NOT to do specifically Disney park stuff. We're taking them to the "dark side" and introducing them to Universal ad SeaWorld. They don't have Disney tickets and the expense is just insane.

I'll let you guys know my impression when I get into the parks.

TomandRobin, when is your next trip to Orlando?

Currently: Home
Next Disney Trip: October 1-28, 2017
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Welcome back Jen. I have missed the updates. Have a terrific time on vacation .

Last edited by Shewill; 03-20-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
TomandRobin, when is your next trip to Orlando?
Memorial Day Weekend, July 4th Weekend......No Christmas/NYE trip for us. We are planning a big family Christmas trip in 2018 and need to conserve the points.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Great to see you guys are back down there! I hope you get plenty of R&R!
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Following along. Enjoy your trip - and no falling scooters for Grandpa (or you)! Sorry to hear about your GI problems. Hope you are on the mend.

Where I'm Going 2017:

Thursday, 05/25/17 - Friday, 06/08/2017 - Aulani - 2 bdrm (Island View)

Sunday, 06/25/17 - Monday, 07/04/17 - HHI Studio
Monday, 07/04/17 - Wednesday, 07/05/17 - Hyatt Regency (River Front) Savannah, GA
Wednesday, 07/05/17 - Saturday, 07/08/17 - HHI Studio

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
SaratogaShan
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Following along. I love your trip reports!!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

A while back we had a thread you may have missed. The op poster was talking about how few rides at Isle of Adventure her sister a power chair user could ride on . Have you found the same problems at Universal and IOA ?

Last edited by Shewill; 03-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote