home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
Goofy85
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Family of 5 Staying in rooms that sleep up to 4

Hello. We are a family of 5 that already has a deluxe studio reservation for early May at BWV, but due to some recent life events we will have to cancel/reschedule for different dates. With that said there's slim last minute availability in May for a deluxe studio.

I've never tried booking a room that sleeps up to 4 and just leaving my youngest child off the reservation. Will Disney prevent us from checking in with a family of 5 in a room that sleeps up to 4? My youngest is 4 so we will bring a travel cot.

Would love some tips and guidance on this!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

i don't think this will work.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
bakerworld
Grand Villa

It will work if you don't 'advertise' it. Upon first joining DVC our oldest was living in FL. She stayed with us on the weekends over the 6 years she lived there, sometimes with her boyfriend, and we never added her to our room reservation. There's really no reason to have everyone on the room reservation.

Once, pre-DVC, we stayed at CBR and brought a aero bed with us. The kids took turns sleeping on it and during the day we slipped it under the bed so housekeeping could straighten the room without being obstructed. CBR only sleeps 4 and the aero bed made it tight so we only brought it out when sleeping. Obviously only 2 kids were on the reservation. We just purchased an additional ticket at one of the parks on the way in.

Like I said - if you don't advertise it no one calls you on it.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
logan115
Grand Villa

The answer unfortunately for you is that yes, they would prevent you from checking in more people than the maximum allowed.

There are several resorts that do allow 5 in a studio as you know, so maybe you can piece something together staying at multiple resorts and do a split stay ?

Good luck,

Chris

MOD 75
logan115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
logan115
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
It will work if you don't 'advertise' it. Upon first joining DVC our oldest was living in FL. She stayed with us on the weekends over the 6 years she lived there, sometimes with her boyfriend, and we never added her to our room reservation. There's really no reason to have everyone on the room reservation.

Once, pre-DVC, we stayed at CBR and brought a aero bed with us. The kids took turns sleeping on it and during the day we slipped it under the bed so housekeeping could straighten the room without being obstructed. CBR only sleeps 4 and the aero bed made it tight so we only brought it out when sleeping. Obviously only 2 kids were on the reservation. We just purchased an additional ticket at one of the parks on the way in.

Like I said - if you don't advertise it no one calls you on it.
What's would happen to ADRS, FPs and the ability to use DME ? Just curious.

Thanks

MOD 75
logan115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

I think it will not work now because of MDE. The 4 yo now needs a ticket and would have to be linked into it correct?

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
BUtigger5
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Leaving aside the "legality" and "integrity" of doing so, which has been widely debated on other threads, I would think you could sneak around on everything except FP. I thought each individual had to be on the reservation to get the 60 day window.
BUtigger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
rowrbazzle
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan115 View Post
What's would happen to ADRS, FPs and the ability to use DME ? Just curious.

Thanks
I'm not sure about Magical Express, but I don't think the others would be a problem. If you link the accounts you could make dining and fast pass reservations without all parties being in the room. We linked our friends (who were staying off-site) and made reservations that included them, even more than 30 days out for them I think. Although I don't know if a 4 year old can have a separate account. If not, you could always keep the other parent off the reservation
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
bigmac0712
Studio

I'm not weighing in on the breaking the rules issue, but just on the MDE/ADR question. Those are totally independent from rooms. I manage 15+ extended family members through my MDE account and when it comes to a room reservation I just choose from the drop-down options of people's profiles who will actually be staying in that room that trip. Same with ADRs. You can book those for as many people as you want and numbers aren't tied with a room. We often book reservations with a lot more than our room occupancy because local friends come to join for a meal, etc. Same with tickets and FP. The reason to be on a room reservation is so you can have a door key / magic band to open the door and technically be listed on the room for fire code, etc.

Magical Express, however, only works for the number of people on the reservation.
bigmac0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #10
bigmac0712
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUtigger5 View Post
Leaving aside the "legality" and "integrity" of doing so, which has been widely debated on other threads, I would think you could sneak around on everything except FP. I thought each individual had to be on the reservation to get the 60 day window.
In my recent experience, the room occupants do not need to be on the reservation to make FP at 60 days. I say this because we often travel with a family of 5 and one time I forgot to add my dad to the room before 60 days (I did later, and we were still within allowed occupancy numbers) but I was still able to make all 5 people's fast passes at 60 days. Now I didn't know if this is a technical glitch or what WDW intent was, but we could do it 2 months ago.
bigmac0712 is offline   Reply With Quote